How can you find invalid links that would currently be on your site??
    Back in May or June we had this discussion that was pretty similar if not the same thing. Found that thread and hasn't been updated since.

Took me forever to do but back at that time I went thru all the links that were said to be invalid, checked em and they were removed. (umm unless somehow I mighta missed a couple....... were sooooooo many of em)

I was there gettin links today and decided to check again to see if there were any. A whole lot are showing and know that some, if not all of em are those ones that were removed before.

Other than goin thru that whole mess again, is there a way to find out which links that are currently on my site might be invalid??

I made the search just for July til now and it still shows a couple hundred (checked some to be sure and they're not still on my site)

So.....anybody know a way to check for just current ones??

I use www. dead-links .com.

I am sure there are others. I think validator.w3. org site has one too.

I put spaces in so it's not a direct link

Yeah, I can't imagine doing it manually. Also if you have awstats it will tell you if you have 404 errors so check those as well.

OK, now Trust's post is gone but I must've misunderstood what you deemed invalid. Not a 404 but a link that goes to a merchant and is expired?

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, my post wasn't answering her question, she was looking for something else. I was using the same method she just tried to find them. Reports-Links-Creative and picking this month to find them.

Hmmm, are you two trying to confuse me now? lol Your original disappearing post Trust is gone so don't know what it said.

Yea, I do have a certain knack for not explaining myself very well. lol
    What I'm trying to find out:

Not a 404 but a link that goes to a merchant and is expired?

Come to think of it, am not really sure what it does here at Google. CJ's invalid links go to a page sayin somethin like that merchant is no longer affiliated with them or somethin. A visitor never goes to the merchant's page. If a link has expired here at Google.....does the visitor go to a page similar to that or do they go to the merchant's site just like any other link would?? If that's the case....then how are we to know which links have expired?

nobody else is talkin bout this so maybe I've just been awake too long and my mind's tiring out on me and now I'm not makin any sense at all.

If a link has an expiration date, I'd have it included on my site so obviously I'd know it was expired. What I found out last time this was brought up is that there were a whole bunch of links expired just cos I guess they made new ones.....umm unless having been told that, they wouldn't have gotten removed. (If told they have, then I remove em)

So.....if I put in a range today from say July 18th to September 18th to find out what the invalid links are (expired ones) I was coming up with some that had an exp. date of 4/30/08, some had no exp. dates. 4/30/08 woulda been removed from my site, so that shouldn't be in the results. Ones with no expiration date...... If I had an 88x31 before, found out back in May or June it was one of the invalid (expired) ones. So, I changed it to a new one. If after making that search now and it comes up with an 88x31 for that merchant......how am I supposed to know if it's that same one they were talking about last time or has the one I changed it to since become invalid, too?

Gonna stop babblin cos I may be confusing everybody now, including myself. lol Just after doing the search today, don't understand why after changing so many of em the last time.....why are there so many still in the results?

the 404 issue can be detected by some SEO tools .

I just have a idea: The network should have a function to redirect the visitor to the merchant`s home page if the link was expried.
    If the experation was caused by merhcant deactivation, then , they should send the visior to our site and give us an notification.

It is a serious issue about user experiences and conversion .

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hello,

Many advertisers will send a communication when links expire and expiration dates should be included in the promotional creative end date field. In addition, you can run a report.

* Reports>Creative = links with exclamations are archived links

Thank you,

Jamie

You can use the report's expired links' LIDs to use Notepad++ to SEARCH>FindInFiles to locate the pages in your site files on your computer. It will tell you which pages have the expired links and what line of the page they are on.

Hmmm, I seem to be confusing everybody about what I'm talking about.
    ok I'm wide awake now so am gonna try to give it another shot.

Example: I'm at Google right now. I searched in the reports > creative > links
    Just selected the month of September for the report. Results has 132 rows (6 pages)

Will give an example of what's in the results.
    • Activa Sports - workout pants
      Don't know for sure but suspect that was a link I had on my site quite a while back but had removed it. What I do know is that it's not on my site now.
    • Lenox - 88x31 general logo
      Uhhhh, have no idea if that is one that woulda been on my site quite a while ago then replaced with a different one or if it's one I've always had on my site or just put it on a month ago.
    • Eastern Mountain Sports - 88x31 Animated
      Same thing. I don't know if it's referring to what's on my site now, something that woulda been on quite a while ago and removed or what.

Hope I'm doin a better job at this..... If a coupons, sale or other type of savings has an expiration date, I place that expiration date on my site. So, I know when they expire. What I don't understand is all these general type 88x31, 120x60, etc. just regular plain ole banners.

When they are appearing in my results and have the little yellow triangle signs shown......since I know for sure I don't have that Activa sports workout pants link on my site currently, don't know why it's appearing in the results?? The other 88x31 or whatever other links that appear with that same little yellow triangle.......I don't have a clue if they would not be on my site either or are they on my site and should be removed since they've been expired.....not that they ever had a date they expired cos I woulda known that and removed them? If they are or were listed as being expired I suppose that meant they changed their site and the links had to be changed also, thus making them invalid or expired links. Maybe they just wanted to change their banners..

Am not referring to any banners or text links that had a specific date where they expired. I would know that. These links in the results that are confusing me are not showing them as having any type of expiration date, they're just regular ole 88x31 logo type banners (most of em are) If what I have on my site currently is a regular ole 88x31 logo type banner.......how do I know if it's that same one that's in the results showing as bein invalid or expired. (the little yellow triangle)

Hope I'm explaining it better this time.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Example: I'm at Google right now. I searched in the reports > creative > links
    Just selected the month of September for the report. Results has 132 rows (6 pages)
    I spent a while looking at all that, and to me the "archived" link indication seems to be useless.

Many are marked that are already gone from my site, and the ones that are still up seem to work even if they don't go to the originally intended page.

Merchants that don't use an expired date are going to have links up that are "archived". If you deal with a lot of GAN merchants it seems that there will always be a few like that.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Links won't show up in your links report unless there are impressions, clicks or conversions attributed to that link for the time period you selected.

If you took a link down today but ran a report for the month and that link had traffic during the month, it will continue to show up in the report.

You may have links that have conversions from previous clicks (before you took them down).

I know we need to provide an easier way to find links that are currently driving traffic that are expired. Just one of a long list of things we have on our backlog at the moment. I'll hopefully have a progress report on this one later this year.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I'm seeing what Purplebear is too. Before you go ahead with this, maybe get some widespread affiliate input on this to see what they like best, what they want to see since this report is for affiliates.

Personally, I like the CJ setup. Invalid links generating traffic. It's just one click and it's very easy to see what links aren't working and to remove them. Would love to see something just like that at Performics. Wondering how other affiliates feel about that system and if Performics should have something like that as well.

Was in a hurry last time and forgot to post thank you for everybody who replied to my question Appreciate very much

I agree with Trust. I like the way CJ does it, too. It's the fastest way I suppose since as soon as you log in you can see it right there on the page.

Ok, just to be positive that I'm understanding this correctly. Am not complaining just want to be sure I'm understanding things

A link could be considered invalid or expired but with the current situation.......that link is still gonna work correctly as far as what we see when we click it, correct?? It's not gonna come up with an error page or anything? So.....if there's a link listed in those reports today when I look at em, that means that if it's physically there on my site it needs to be changed. If it's as an example a generic regular ole 88x31 logo that's on my site and that report shows a generic regular ole 88x31 logo listed I'm not goinna know if it was from a month ago but has since been replaced......so I had better change that link to be sure it's the correct one to be using. Correct??

Thank you again for your responses.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread