Anyone Successful With Computer Sales?
    I'm fairly new to CJ and have a computer affiliate website. I have links from a few different computer advertisers and am having a hard time with sales. Anyone doing good in computer sales? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Paul

Hi Paul, welcome...

Is it a traffic-issue or conversion issue..? Have you tested your own links to ensure proper tracking..?

If it's a traffic issue, just my guess, but I suspect publisher competition is greater among computer affiliates. There are a ton of good programmers out there, and if they were to pick a niche for their own site (to generate revenue), it would probably be computer-related.

That's not to say you can't compete with other computer affiliates - you just need to figure out how to best position yourself.

It's also not easy for a new site to find success right away, so don't get discouraged. Converting traffic is the hardest part of affiliate marketing, I've been doing this for 2 years & still learn new things weekly.

Hi Paul. Welcome to ABW.

A couple observations about your website...
    It looks nice but is very lightweight. In other words there's not a lot of meat (original content) nor much of anything to attract attention and return visits. You've got primarily an ad farm with a little original content. That's not very conducive to good SERP ranking.
    The other observation is that you've got AdSense ads at the very top. Do you really want to send visitors off site for a 2˘ click?

And that's MY 2˘...

X

you have to offer people something special in this 'niche'

a great price or special coupon, or some custom configuration, etc. And let the people know exactly what they are getting.

I buy a lot of things online, but never a computer. I just look it up online and then go get it. No 3 day wait, shipping cost, etc.

If you can combine a good selection with good organic rankings, or PPC keyword gems, its worth the low % payouts.

I agree with Simcat, since I only buy computers once every 4 years or more actually more I just bought my computer the one I was using I have had since 1999??? I too usually look on line and then go and buy it. Maybe offer software/hardware to accompany it, TONS of Merchants/Products to choose from and of course Boomers was also correct place the adsense somewhere else. The top quarter of a website is the eyecatcher if it is used correctly you can generate good sales.

Thanks For The Replies
    Thanks guys for your thoughts. I am not getting anywhere near the traffic I want and with time and further SEO I'm hoping to get more organic traffic. I do have content articles under Computer News but I think I need to make the content more obvious as it appears beneath the adds and you have to scroll down to see it. Those articles are good content and there is also a blog that is a sister site.
    I will talk with my developer about making the content more apparent.
    I know adsense can distract but it pays my overhead now.
    Thanks for the input. My question remains however is anyone out there doing well as a computer sales affiliate?? I can make changes to my site but I wonder if computers are a good product line for an Affiliate website? Thanks for anymore help.
    Paul

We sell specific computer peripherals that are extremely nichie, but don't dabble in computers themselves. There's huge competition for SERP ranking and commissions are usually skimpy percentage-wise. You'll need lots of traffic to make much. So like mentioned above, you'll have to offer something unique to attract that traffic.

X

Further Website Developments
    Boomers, nice site! I am making some changes to my site to make the content more accessible. I am also adding software and support to the product lines. I have worked in the computer field my whole life and I have a passion for it. The low commissions on computers are made up by the high product price to deliver a decent commission. The other product lines I'm adding have larger commissions. The competition is a challenge but I have great confidence in my developer, Chuck Crawford Affiliate Website Design, to put me on top of the search engines for my keywords. I will be creating niche pages within this expanded laptops computers product base.
    Again I appreciate all the experience and comments coming from you guys.
    Thanks
    Paul E. Steinberg
    Last edited by psjerzyboy; September 20th, 2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: adding thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    commissions are usually skimpy percentage-wise
    Yea I had a friend order a Dell via one of my links and the 1% commission netted me just over $5 and the cookie is session I believe. They send me emails everyday with their deals but I find it hard to get excited.

Good deal Paul. Sounds like you're really getting it together. Be sure to hang out here and post updates and successes...

X

Definitely try the newegg.com program. We have had excellent results with Newegg, and surprising results with the Dell program on CJ, especially in the small business area.

Newegg?
    Thanks guys. I will definitely hang out here. I appreciate the tip on Newegg. I will check to see their affiliate program.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Hi Paul,

Welcome to ABW and our family. The computer vertical is a tough area for many merchants. I started my affiliate career in the computer market as affiliate manager for TigerDirect back in 2001. I won't go into all the history on this post, but you can do a search here for my name and Tiger and get all the scoop.

As others have said, you need content and a reason for people to come back to your site. Pricing alone won't do it today.

Having said that, we have just launched our newest merchant, LowPriceJoe and they are unique in the computer arena with their low price guarantee. I don't want to derail this thread or make it about our merchant, but you can follow this link and get all the details on them there. We start at 4% and go to 8% based on volume...

Welcome again to our family .....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quit A Resume
    Hi Andy,
    Nice to meet you. That's a great affiliate marketing background you have. I'm a neighbor here in Broward County. I would like to find out more about Low Price Joe. I'll check out that thread and be in touch. Thanks.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by coachtraffic
    Definitely try the newegg.com program. We have had excellent results with Newegg, and surprising results with the Dell program on CJ, especially in the small business area.

are you profitable with 1% commission? Newegg is not the only company you promote, is it?

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread