ABW Ambassador
    Hi,
    I have a question wether that's normal or not:
    In my stats I see a relationship from pageviews to repeat/returning vistors from about 5-10%. That means from 100 pageviews only 10 are repeat visitors 90 are new ones.
    Is this ok? And what can I do to increase the repreat/returning visitors.

carneol

Affiliate Manager
    It all depends on the type of site...if you have a site that never updates then people don't need to come back after they see it the first time...the trick is to offer some kind of incentive for your visitors to either bookmark your site and keep coming back or join a mailing list.

To Good Health & Wellbeing,

Chet Brzezinski
    eVitamins Affiliate Manager
    http://www.eVitamins.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Always judge your site by total number of page views as it represents viewer interest.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

So if you have a site that is constantly changing or getting updated what would be a good percentage of returning visitors?

Ron

"Advertising is the most fun you can have with your clothes on."
    Jerry Della Femina

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Always judge your site by total number of page views as it represents viewer interest.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to could do this but anymore the bots seem to have distorted the figures so bably I can no longer tell most of the time. Maybe there is a way I can update my stats package to avoid bot counts but haven't looked into it.

Yesterday my page views was almost 6 x the uniques and from what I can tell when the bots are away, normal page views runs around 2x uniques. The site is pretty focused so I don't expect users on average to be doing a ton of browsing so 2x is fine with me.

Also, if you have 100,000 uniques and say 400,000 page views how can you tell how many of those are returning vs uniques going to additional pages (not even coinsidering the bots)? Throw in ever changing IP's being dynamically assigned that impacts uniques and return visitors...... You have stats but how much you can "really tell is truthful" is far from it.

What I want in a stats package for me changed from when I didn't have much traffic to what I have now. I bought my current stats package because I could follow my visitors and see where they were going and how long they stayed before moving on. I can't imagine going and tracing users now. Don't get me wrong I learned alot from watching visitors but once I learned the basic do's and dont's I don't even care about that functionality now.

===================================
    Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Traffic volume is spoiling you Poonmaster

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    LOL - Ecom, I assure you I grossly distorted the numbers I gave reference to but the point was made easier doing it.

Traffic is always a great thing to have though.

===================================
    Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, 10% returning visitors is good.
    Unless you have something new to offer every day or so, people don't come back often. Some bookmark your site - I used to I keep track of # bookmarks for a content site I have and it was about 26% (it is a very popular site in its niche though).
    Overall, carneol, I think that 10% for an affiliate site is very good.

Which traffic stat program can you depend on for accurate numbers? I have Analog, Webalizer, and AWstats, none of which ever come close to agreeing on uniques and page views.

I normally look for an increase in both uniques and page views each month, and judge my site's performance by those figures. As long as it's increasing, I'm happy.

Andy

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread