I went to BestBuy, I went to CompUSA, I went everywhere, I tried all their keyboards. It's like poking a piece of bread. It's like missing a button. Where are well-made loud keyboards with real buttons? Not this cotton ear ones!
    I have an IBM keyboard made in 1992. It weighs like 4 pounds. It was made in the USA. You can hear all the springs... Now where can I find the real stuff? The End.

LOL ... you're right! Typing on a newer keyboard is like trying to type on Jell-O.

I still have an original IBM keyboard, and it's built like a Sherman Tank.

Larry Hiscock
    Dainties.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Loosen the screws on the back of the keyboard a bit and it'll sound like loud popcorn when you type!

(I just dismantled my keyboard for a much-needed cleaning the other day...to make it easier the next time I didn't crank the screws down all the way--and now it's LOUDER THAN HECK!)

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

It's a bit off-topic, but did you realise that the QWERTY layout is deigned to hamper typing speed?

When the first typewriters came out people became so proficient at hammering the keys that the mechanisms kept jamming and the manufacturers had huge problems with maintenance and repair.

So they re-arranged the keyboard to slow
    typists down.

I recently purchased an air blower thing my hubbie has wanted forever. He wants it to air tires and blow dust I think all over the place. That thing is so loud its crazy, so I make him keep it outside in the shed.

A grand idea hit me and I went outside to use it on my keyboard. To my surprise I think I can keep this keyboard forever.

Ya its off topic but its concerning my keyboard so I thought I would add it.

I miss my old clicky keyboard. We've been looking for one too. For some reason, I think I type faster, and better, when I'm making noise.

My girlfriend has one like that, neighbours are banging on the walls at night if she is typing a email

I have a very very cheap keyboard, don't know if you guys have this brand "Sweex" some clone of a other cheap Chinese brand, makes a pretty decent click sound.
    I had a Microsoft (Natural, i believe) before but odly enough I prefer the real cheappo's

---------------------------------------
    But it beats a real j.o.b.

tw<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radegast:
    It's a bit off-topic, but did you realise that the QWERTY layout is deigned to hamper typing speed?

When the first typewriters came out people became so proficient at hammering the keys that the mechanisms kept jamming and the manufacturers had huge problems with maintenance and repair.

So they re-arranged the keyboard to _slow_
    typists down.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard a story that is was designed like that (qwerty) so the salesperson could type the word "typewriter" real fast, as a demo for this this nifty new invention

---------------------------------------
    But it beats a real j.o.b.

That's interesting...could be true
    what I read could be true...

Any typewriter experts out there?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radegast:

So they re-arranged the keyboard to _slow_
    typists down.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    What i heard is that QWERTY keyboard are design in a way to prevent the mechanism from jamming in old mechanic typewriter. But they didn't design it to purposely slow typist down, they just placed commonly used alphabet letters spread out to prevent jamming.

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The sound a tactile feedback from a keyboard is very important and is the foundation of the success of any computer brand manufacturer. 100% of the first impression for any computer purchase comes from the quality impression of the mouse,monitor and keyboard. All else sucks in comparision to initial enduser satisfaction.

Tell that to the computer industry MBA management idiots, trying to decide how to save some manufacturing bucks, and you end up with the crap they push on folks everyday destroying their brand and forcing them into bankrupcy.

IBM made a name for themselves with a good keyboard. Back in the real innovative days a company called Northgate became a powerhouse due to a nice clackity tactile feedback keyboards and was bought by Everex ( The Everex STEP computers were the last standard to meet in the computer industry) just to get the KB. I have been paid by by 2 very successful OEM clone builders how to make their product standout for customers. I said fire anyone who even thinks to cut corners on the quality of the mouse,KB or monitor. Some butt holes still don't get the message.

See if TD or some others carry the "Focus Electronics" keyboard it's always been the best fro a clackity/tactile feedback KB. Dells and of course IBM make nice KB's ...they listened.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by icepenguin:
    What i heard is that QWERTY keyboard are design in a way to prevent the mechanism from jamming in old mechanic typewriter. But they didn't design it to purposely slow typist down, they just placed commonly used alphabet letters spread out to prevent jamming.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well...the jamming was caused by people typing too quickly...I don't see the difference here.

I like the IBM 'click', but I spend a lot of time coding through the night, so it would cause problems with my neighbours to have a noisy keyboard.

I type pretty fast and there is nothing like the klack of the old style pre-plastic IBM keyboards. It actually helps me write when the keyboard is talking back.

Also that someone else remembers Northgate Computers is quite a blast.

Regards,

Victor Hanna
    The BettyMills Company
    Home of the 30,000 product DataFeed
    http://www.BettyMills.com
    http://affiliates.bettymills.com/
    BettyMills ABW Forum
    800-BettyMills (800-238-8964)

if you can find the location for a Hamfest (flea market and gathering for amateur radio operators) you might find someone selling new surplus keyboards. I find sometimes IBM or Compaq brands have a nice heft and feel.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

If you REALLY want to buy another IBM keyboard you could try....

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...0&BasicSearch=

This thread is so funny...I drove our IT guy at another job crazy one time because I kept asking if he had a "high click" (as we were taught they were called back in typing class) keyboard and he had no clue what I was talking about. I have a Dell keyboard that has decent click noise. I am one of the only touch-typists in my cubicle row, so everyone knows when I'm at my desk because of the rapid-fire clacking.

Has anyone seen the commercial on TV where the guy wants his boss to think he's working late? He crumbles crackers onto his keyboard, opens his window, and leaves, shutting the door behind him. Pigeons fly through the window and peck at the cracker crumbs on the keyboard, making the clack typing noises. The boss stops by the closed door, hears the "typing", nods his head in approval, and moves on. I love it!

-patrice

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have a Dell keyboard that has decent click noise.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ditto, mine is a Dell QuietKey, which is no IBM, but it has a good feel

Smile Source for keyboards with positive click
    You can still get keyboards with a positive click, but they ain't cheap. Check out:

daskeyboard.com

...or Google "buckling spring", which is the technology that makes the keyboards have that lovely feel and sound.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; October 9th, 2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: removed linky

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    He wants a keyboard in 2003, not spam

The DAS keyboard will give you the tactile feedback and click. What you need is a mechanical switch keyboard, and there are several out there, and very expensive. The DAS one is a good one, but keep in mind it's $129.99.

I found several others in the $80-100 range, and have bought one or two. The keyboards also last a very long time.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread