Netmagazines doing something strange
    I noticed today, that an active merchant on Linkshare, Netmagazines, seems to be doing something unusual.

Go to netmagazines, add an item to your cart, and look where you end up... on magazines.com through another Linkshare link.

It looks like they might be taking the traffic affiliates are sending them and rerouting them through to magazines.com through their own Linkshare account.

Does anyone want to check this out and make sure I'm not drawing the wrong conclusion?

It appears that you've drawn the correct conclusion. When I added a magazine to my cart it redirected me to magazines.com and set a Linkshare cookie. You should report this behavior to Linkshare ASAP. I specifically tried this though an affiliate link to make sure that this was happening with affiliate generated traffic.

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; September 21st, 2008 at 11:05 PM. Reason: update
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    I just tried thru my netmagazines affiliate link and am seeing the same thing. I pick a magazine at Netmagazines, click Add To Cart and that click takes me to Magazines.com for the same item.

Question
    Maybe they are getting ready to close up shop, like allzines last year, but have'nt got around to telling anyone yet?

http://www.google.com/search?q=netma...ient=firefox-a

Interestingly, I have seen an affiliate site on LS, they pay for leads.

It's an information site with affiliate links, product recommendations (among other links, perhaps paid, an ezine of sorts). I'm not sure sites like this should be allowed to promote themselves as "merchants".

Nothing wrong with signing up to be a sub-affiliate, but only if it's clear.

.. actually I should rephrase this.. .. you wouldn't be a sub-affiliate, you would lose any conversion when they register with the competing publisher.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    It appears that you've drawn the correct conclusion. When I added a magazine to my cart it redirected me to magazines.com and set a Linkshare cookie. You should report this behavior to Linkshare ASAP. I specifically tried this though an affiliate link to make sure that this was happening with affiliate generated traffic.

-rematt
    I will do just that in the AM, will let you all know what I find out

Dear NetMagazines Affiliates...

I just received an email, that NetMagazines is discontinuing their affiliate program, effective immediately.

Funny how they waited until they were outed here to post that announcement. It seems at best unethical and at worst fraudulent that they were rerouting their traffic BEFORE notifying us, as they're profiting from our traffic but presumably paying us nothing.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, just going thru email, in case you don't get it:

Dear NetMagazines Affiliates: Thank you for being a valued partner in the NetMagazines affiliate program. Over the years, we have seen great success in this program. However, recent changes in the magazine subscription industry have forced us to make the difficult decision to discontinue our affiliate program.

Effective immediately, sales will no longer be tracked and our partners will not be commissioned. At this time, please take down any NetMagazines links you may have up on your website. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and sincerely appreciate your understanding.

If you have any questions or concerns about this change please contact us immediately at affiliate at netmagazines.com. Best regards, Rodger

Yep I got that same e-mail, they are closing their affiliate program

i'll miss my weekly sale of playboy from them

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by TI Master
    Funny how they waited until they were outed here to post that announcement. It seems at best unethical and at worst fraudulent that they were rerouting their traffic BEFORE notifying us, as they're profiting from our traffic but presumably paying us nothing.
    It shows you can't trust anybody in that business. It's typical from networks like LinkShare and their merchants.

Wow, their program was still active? They stopped taking orders through their site on 8/25! Anyway I know of good replacement program
    Reha Kocatas - MagazineAgent.com
    Programs available on Commission Junction and ShareASale.com
    Highest Commissions on Magazine Subscriptions Visit the Magazine-Agent Affiliate Forum

Reha, is honest, ethical and reliable - Magazine-Agent has been on ABW for 4 years! Switch your links for the last time.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Another Magazine Vendor you must avoid Magsforless.com
    Too many unethical merchants in the Magazine filed. I have been sending many clicks to NetMagazines.com. I was wondering why NetMagazines never converted when others did. Then the facts came out.

Another magazine vendor to avoid is magsforless.com. They are both in CJ and SAS.

They don't fulfill orders. They don't have a customer service number where you can call about your subscription. If you email them, you get an automated response but never a follow up. I have personally test subscribed a magazine from them which was never delivered. But they did charge the credit card and pay the commission.

Don't promote them if you care about your visitors and the reputation of your site.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread