Post Advise desperately needed
    I need some help, advise, guidance...... anything

I started managing a program about a month ago. at that time the program was not successful. I have created a datafeed, listed us with Popshops, started offering coupons that are exclusive to our affiliates, put out weekly news letters, and running bonus and incentive programs. And it it is working to some degree. We have almost 50 new affiliates, which is awesome!! However I have not seen an increase in active affiliates, clicks, or sales. I know that patience is the name of the game. But I really thought that by now I would be seeing some sales trickle in or at least more traffic. What can I do to help my affiliates drive traffic?

Hi Renee,

Yes, it really is a patience game. It does take a while for affiliates to start pushing traffic as they have their own development stream.

I find that one thing affiliates like is specific products to promote. I'm not sure what you're business is. But, for instance, do you have daily deals, hot products or categories that they can promote? Letting affiliates know which of your products are moving it's easier for them to narrow down what to promote on their site.

Also, ask them what they want. I've found that when I've asked my affiliates what they need, they let me know. If you listen to what they want and are able to provide it, that's ideal.

Other than that, keep with it. To use a cliche, Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Heather Boulding
    Affiliate Manager, AbeBooks.com
    hboulding{at} abebooks.com
    [t] 250.412.3247
    [URL=http://www.abebooks.com/docs/AffiliateProgram]AbeBooks Affiliate Program[/URL]

Great advice from Heather, go to them and ask what they want so that they know you are serious and try to establish some kind of relationship with your affiliates.

Also, I noticed that you said you have offered some bonus and incentive programs. Have you tried an activation bonus? We recently offered an activation bonus to our affiliates that worked pretty well.

Hang in there, and hope you see more sales soon!

Renee,

It's almost impossible to get affiliate attention in Q4 ... to get 50 to sign up for your program is nothing short of stupendous, implementation however takes time. More so now, it's not because of you nor your company but your niche, most don't give memory for Halloween I'd bet you'd see some traffic for Christmas but mostly after valentines day for a full ramp up of these new affs. I suggest you keep recruiting as the implementation times of the new recruits will also be staggered as well.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Following on from Haiko and others have alluded to....

Affiliates like their opinions being requested. You'll find most affiliates have a wealth of knowledge on what they need to make a program convert.

Haven't looked at your prog to see if they're with a network or indie but you can't do wrong with a bit of tech.

How about a search form linked to your site to search your inventory?

How about content units (widgets) like Amazon has enabling affiliates to visually display products linked to your site.

What about complete stores similar to the Amazon AStore?

edited cos I read the second post instead of the first..doh!
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

.. lots of good comments here!

To give you a taste of the affiliate world.. personally, I'm stretched to the limit trying to implement content expansion in my datafeed site (ahead of Q4), doing my best to stay on top of the (ever- increasing) merchant promotions, automating feeds, and thinking of new daily content.

It's a good sign that you have succeeded in signing up 50 new affiliates! I only apply to programs that I fully intend to promote... sometimes it just takes a little longer to get going (see above!).

Be patient, and keep the dialogue open with your new affiliates...

I have seen some programs open up with expectations of doubling sales in the first month and then, disappointed they shut down just about the time they were getting implemented, noticed, uploaded, promoted, etc.
    I join when I can see an opening somewhere in the next few weeks, but I can't think of very many that went up the first day - OK some that had incentives got put up the first day. But just a banner tacked on somewhere until I had time to research, write, create the graphics for their section and build the page/s and get them on the navigation etc. Once all the wrinkles are out then promotion and fresh additions can start. It may be weeks to start any ranking. This is not an overnight process. Not saying that is what you had in mind but it sounds like there's a little impatience for results.
    Affiliates do not all work alike. You may get some that already have rank for your niche, are enthusiastic about your unique products and have a following that is anxious to buy - but generally it takes some time. Good luck

Thank you all for advise. I started emailing my affiliates yesterday and I am already getting responses!

You could start by asking individual affiliates if there are tools you could provide them with to generate sales. More sales for you means more commisions for them so this should not be viewed as intrusive. All affiliates are not created equal so before you make offers you might want to review the kind of sites they have and the fit with your products.THEN once you have an idea of not only the amount of traffic but the relevant visitors they get you might start to come up with stronger incentives. ie exclusive coupons, higher commisions etc

Outsourced Program Manager ChrisMiquel's Avatar
    Renee,

I'm in your same boat. My program is starting to build up and I have over 100 affiliates, but the traffic is not building up. Just be patient and try to work personally with as many affiliates as possible. Sooner or later we will find the affiliates that will work well with our programs, and then you will start seeing the traffic come in. Also, don't forget to go to the Affiliate Summit in Vegas. I will be attended for the first time and am very excited to network with all the affiliate marketers attending the event.

Good luck,

Chris

ABW Ambassador
    Unless you are getting ppc affiliates, it can take a while for results to start coming in. Your organic seo affiliates aren't going to provide quick results.

If an affiliate signs up today, it might take a few months before that affiliate starts generating traffic for you.

If most of your affiliates have newer sites, the pages they create for your site will not be indexed quickly by Google.

If an affiliate has a well established site, then they may be promoting your competition, and not your site.

You have to think of a way to entice those affiliates who have good, strong, established websites.

Also be sure to check the Merchants Best Practices forum here to be sure that the merchant's practices haven't back-burnered your program. If other programs are more affiliate friendly they will be given priority over one that is not.

Make it very attractive for an affiliate to promote you. Do unique contests and promos in forums to get the word out. A few dollars spent up front on generating interest and buzz about your brand is really money well spent. Make some noise.

-sfcom

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread