Shovel Sellers
    How about a thread sharing the antics of the shovel-selling mutual-appreciation-club self-annointed 'gurus'?

I just got an e-mail from Joel Comm with the subject

"You just won $100,000 coaching package!"

I couldn't resist opening it to see what depths he'll sink to.

"Would you like to receive an email stating that you have won a
    $100,000 business coaching package from Rich Schefren?" was the first line.

I recently went out of curiosity through the sales funnel for one of his over-hyped over-priced products.

Unbelievable. It was a REALLY annoying process.

Shame on you Joel Comm.

I don't believe these people get away with it.

Why don't people start throwing rotten vegetables at the gurus?

Why waste the energy and/or the rotten vegetables. How much better to simply delete the offending material right along with the endless penis enhancement and Nigerian money scam spams. Thanks for venting. I assure you that you are not the only "victim".

Hi Terri

I think it would serve the affiliate community, and could also be amusing, to keep a thread going gently poking fun at their excesses.

I've bought from them in the past and it wasn't all totally worthless.

And if I'm honest I'm still tempted.

I think it's a real danger for people in this business.

It's very easy to get caught up in the hype.

I think they even believe their own crapola to a certain extent.

Take Frank Kern, for instance. He reminds me of the Big Lebowski.

I'm sure he's a very nice guy.

But having sat through his Mass Control crap...well...

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    It's not just the Internet gurus who do this. I subscribe to a medical newsletter that was excellent until greed got the good doctor by the throat and now he started a "wealth" newsletter to send to his health list. It's so tempting for me to hit the "unsubscribe" link every time I get one of these "one page sales pitches" that I've seen hundreds of times and that I've seen pitched hundreds of times more. Not only does this guy send the wealth stuff now, he's also started peppering his "daily" emails with ads and sometimes the daily blast that is supposed to offer alternative health related info offers up one of those nasty ol' sales pitch letters, complete with yellow and red highlighting. Arghhhhhhhhhh

It IS annoying, Vampire Skunk. There's a very fine line between shoveling crap down people's throats and enticing them to pick up the spoon and taste the offerings.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Hi Rexanne

The sales pitch letters are relatively harmless compared to what you get nowadays from people who are highly intelligent, highly wealthy, and highly capable.

I guess as long as they make money from it and as people become wise to the latest 'ploy' they'll just carry on getting more and more outrageous. And, by now, they're WAY over that fine line.

But it is amusing. Watch them all falling over themselves trying to get people to buy the latest launch through THEIR link.

I love the ones where they start off saying "I'm going to advise you NOT to buy this product..." then in the second paragraph seamlessly switch to advising you to buy the product.

What second-hand psychology book did they dig that out from?

Even Jack Humphrey does it. I used to respect the guy.

Worse than the stuff they shovel, are the actual conversations they have - not always behind closed doors either ... they laugh at and constantly berate everyone who they think is below them (IOW everyone). The back door hi fives and "you should get X suckers (I mean sign ups)" and cross promo deals - it is absolutely despicable!

While it's not my place out them for their views publicly, but I do listen attentively sometimes even take notes for later reference but I can tell you all that there are reasons why certain companies are not here.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

How did I miss this thread??

As one of the world's most gullible people -- when we were first married and YEARS away from planning to have kids, I bought a $600 set of Collier's Encyclopedia (1968 edition, wanna buy it?) on credit -- I find myself often eager to buy from these gurus.

I actually "bit" and bought some sort of PHP script for $16 or $18 bucks a couple of months ago from a "guru" named Ken Reno. (Can I put his name here??)

I took him up on his 60-day no questions asked guarantee to get my money back. To his credit, he refunded the money to my PayPal account. Of course, it took 3 days of numerous emails and "support tickets" before he finally responded.

The bad news on this deal? I somehow got on multiple versions of his email list, and now get 3 or 4 "you've gotta get this to succeed" emails almost every day from the guy. Of course, clicking on his "unsubscribe" link gives me a browser message that I've been unsubscribed -- and the emails keep coming anyway.

</end of rant>
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Joel Comm and his ilk disgust me. I joined his Adsense forum back when it started, mainly as a means to tell people that all the information is free elsewhere, but also to see to what depths he'd sink. He's a hypocrite and a black hatter, telling or doing things that can easily get the average person kicked out of Adsense. But since he says he's a guru, people buy into it.

BTW, I'm a bridge guru... want to buy one?
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Haiko - do you mind if names are mentioned?

I'm happy to keep this thread going and drop names with specific examples.

In a way, this is more despicable than parasites. Parasites are just trying to make money at the end of the day.

I don't mind at all.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireSkunk

Parasites are just trying to make money at the end of the day.
    So are the shovelers. I'd take them over parasites any day. I don't have to buy the crap they're selling. Parasites outright steal my money and I have no way to say "no!"
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Rexanne

True - but there is such a thing as honesty amongst thieves.

The gurus are just laughing at their own customers.

OK folks.

Let's have fun with this. And let's keep it civilised.

Last edited by VampireSkunk; September 24th, 2008 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    As one of the world's most gullible people -- when we were first married and YEARS away from planning to have kids, I bought a $600 set of Collier's Encyclopedia (1968 edition, wanna buy it?) on credit
    Ha Ha! You too? This slick kid made us feel like there was no way we could refuse. He even blew one of his demonstrations about how the paper these books was made of was so strong you could do this... and the page ripped right out of the book! We bought anyway. But wait, we also got the set of science books, and the large family Bible, and a handy acrylic tube bank where we could save pennies daily to make our payments. We still have the books in our library, and I must admit that they did come in handy over the years, but I don't believe we've cracked one since the Internet...

[Edit to add] In keeping with this thread, those guys really know how to "shovel" the hype. I must admit that in the early days I've been tempted, but so far not enough to fork it over...

X

a friend of mine who was recently trying to learn PPC (he has quit trying) called me and told me he had purchased an e-book from some guru i had never heard of. i told him there are lots of self-appointed "gurus", especially on the internet. anyway, he basically bought a crappy ebook and the guru got his $50 or whatever. i told him that some of the best info he will find is free.

With the economy tanking, it's going to be interesting for the next year or 3.

Oh my.

Next thing you know there'll be some silly video doing the rounds with Frank Kern being chased by a vigilante out to get him because he claimed to have made millions of dollars when it was really his customers who made the money using his system.

Sigh...

Hmmm

Here's Jason Potash flogging to death the pile of crap I refered to in my previous post:

"A buddy just forwarded this to me.

It's brilliant marketing.

You see, master salespeople already know this
    *secret*.

Case in Ever watched that whacky guy on late
    night TV advertising used cars or deals on carpets?

They are animated for a reason.

If they can get you to laugh -- even chuckle a little --
    they create an instant bond with you.

It's invisible.

Happens without you even knowing it.

Because when people are laughing, their guard is
    down and they are more receptive to what you are
    telling them to do.

That's powerful.

You might even tell your friends about the "Crazy
    Carpet Al" commercial you saw on TV last night.

That's the viral power of using humor in your
    marketing.

But, let me warn you... trying to be funny can also
    backfire.

Here's a great example of humor marketing done right:"

Sorry Jason. That's an example of CRAP

Correction.

It isn't even crap.

Crap serves a useful purpose.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread