Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outsourced Program Manager Ashish Selarka's Avatar
    What Percentage of your Affiliates are active?
    I am unable to find an answer to this, so if it is mentioned somewhere on Abestweb, I apologize in advance.

What percentage of your affiliates in your program are actively promoting you?

We have over 460 Affiliates but my percentage seems to be very low, of course after I sent out an email last week after i got back from my honeymoon the response was good, but then it died down again?

Also how often do you communicate with your affiliates?

Thanks for your input.
    [B]Ashish Selarka[/B]
    Outsourced Program Manager (OPM)
    [COLOR="Red"][B]Programs Managed[/B][/COLOR]: Coming Soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandlet
    For us it differs from program to program. I've just had a quick look through the programs we manage and the percentage of affiliates that regularly send sales ranges from 4.2% to 9.5% of the total number of affiliates in the program.

Also how often do you communicate with your affiliates?
    Monthly through program newsletters, bi-monthly through newsletters to my own pool of affiliates, and daily through the forums and personal e-mails.

Geno

Hi Brandlet,

Similarly to Geno, I have about 11-14% of affiliates (depending on the season) pushing sales. When I first started in the industry the 80/20 rule was quoted a few times to me (80% of your sales are generated by 20% of your affiliates). I'm not sure if that's still true, but as Geno said, it all depends on the program and industry.

I also send out monthly newsletters to our affiliates as well as other communications along the way. I also try to answer affiliate emails or calls within 24 hours that I receive them (usually within the same day). That's not always possibly of course when I'm away to a conference or on vacation, but I always leave a note so that they know.

Hope that helps. You're certainly on your way with 460 affiliates. Keep in mind Christmas is coming up too so affiliates are super busy right now.
    Heather Boulding
    Affiliate Manager, AbeBooks.com
    hboulding{at} abebooks.com
    [t] 250.412.3247
    [URL=http://www.abebooks.com/docs/AffiliateProgram]AbeBooks Affiliate Program[/URL]

Brandlet,

Congrats on your honeymoon!

I run two smaller inhouse programs so my percentage is a little higher just because of the volume probably, I'm at about 40% being active, but really only 20% the way I'd like them to be.

It's funny you asked how often to communicate with affiliates because I asked the same thing in another forum (I can PM you the link if you'd like, I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post it here). Most are probably familiar with Linda Buquet, here is a snippet of what she said:

I think if you have the time and your program isn't too huge it would be nice to do one personal contact to welcome new affiliates as they join and maybe just ask. How can I best help you? What types of things to you want me to let you know about and how do you prefer I contact you? Then segment your list into affiliates that really seem to value the attention and like the personal contact, those that only want important updates and those that don't like to be contacted at all. Your top few affiliates you should try to stay in more contact with IF you have some news that will help them. But your top guys are probably top guys for others and very busy so I would not bother them to chit chat, just when you have something that could help them earn more.
    I found this to be very helpful. Good luck!

Smile
    Thank you Geno, HeatherB & FontMarketplace for all your input & sharing your program history/experience.

I take it that the best way to be successful is to be in constant contact with your affiliates and send them program newsletters and through forums here on ABW.

Great advice on getting back to affiliates within 24 hours HeatherB. I also try to do that consistently, Of course its tough when you are out of town on business or getting married.

FontMarketplace, thanks so much for contributing your personal experience & I would love to have you send me a PM with the link, where you asked the same thing in another forum.

I definitely want to take more advantage of our forum here.

I have been reading so much here on ABW that sometimes its overwhelming, in a good way of course
    Last edited by Ashish Selarka; September 23rd, 2008 at 07:49 PM.
    [B]Ashish Selarka[/B]

No prob Brandlet! I also forgot to say congrats earlier. I wish you a wonderful life together.
    Heather Boulding
    Affiliate Manager, AbeBooks.com
    hboulding{at} abebooks.com
    [t] 250.412.3247
    [URL=http://www.abebooks.com/docs/AffiliateProgram]AbeBooks Affiliate Program[/URL]

I'm so glad you asked the question about how you keep in touch with affiliates!! So helpful!

I am glad I asked the question as well Funetics. I am beginning to find out that its all about contributing & communicating as much as possible to make the affiliates life easier. The more easier we make it for them, the more time they have promoting their merchants.
    [B]Ashish Selarka[/B]

Yup, that sounds right - the part that I struggle with is that I hear time and again how busy our affiliates are. And I don't always know how and when to strike the balance between over communicating and becoming a pest, and under-communicating and losing the opportunity to build great relationships with our affiliates. Linda Buquet's post above makes me thing it's just really important to send those messages out there, and then when someone responds, know that they are one of the ones who is willing or perhaps has time to communicate - and stay engaged with them. Very interesting...

PS - 57 posts in two months!! At this rate, I'll earn the right to PM folks in May 2009. Woohoo! ...sigh...

Speaking of PM's sorry Brandlet I was not even aware that I can't send them yet. I tried to contact you through your affiliates@ email, hope you receive it and that it helps.

Thanks FontMarketplace. I did receive your email & thanks for the link.

Its a great resource.

If anyone wants to see the link that FontMarketplace is talking about, Here it is
    [B]Ashish Selarka[/B]

Hello. Im new to this forum. As I once was an affiliate and still am. I am the sole owner and operator of Traffic Taxis. It's a Manual Traffic Exchange. I am fully functioning and growing quite rapidly. I am looking to meet like minded people. Any direction in here from anybody would be great. Thanks

Hi David, Welcome to ABW. You have just hit a gold-mine. Read A lot & then Ask questions & Contribute. You will find that everything you need is right here. Good Luck.
    [B]Ashish Selarka[/B]

Here's another question related to this...does anyone know what the industry average of 'active' affiliates is? I am definining 'active' here as anyone with clicks since that's all I can measure. I am looking for a report or something that I can quote from - from an official source. Anyone know of anything out there I could use for this? Thanks.
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144
    [email=pcarlsen@avanquest.com]pcarlsen@avanquest.com[/email]

Online Marketing Consultant
    You may want to define what active is as well. In this case it seems like people are saying Affiliates who are sending sales...however, is that Affiliates who have sent one sale since the launch of the program and is that including if they have only made personal purchases?

How would you want to define active for this thread so we can get a more accurate answer?

Have sent impressions
    Have active links
    Have sent clicks
    Have sent sales (including personal purchases)
    Have sent sales (excluding personal purchases)

What is the time frame?

The past quarter
    The past year
    All time (some may no longer be active or within your program)
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Rollerblader, thanks for your reply.

I am looking for any 'official' source on any measure of active. I am writing a report and so can make my data fit to however the report defines and calculates it. I am trying to benchmark our performance against the industry on the percent of active affiliates.

Thanks.
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144
    [email=pcarlsen@avanquest.com]pcarlsen@avanquest.com[/email]

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by avanquest
    Rollerblader, thanks for your reply.

I am looking for any 'official' source on any measure of active. I am writing a report and so can make my data fit to however the report defines and calculates it. I am trying to benchmark our performance against the industry on the percent of active affiliates.

Thanks.

The issue is that if you do not set up parameters to measure things as equally as possible and define the parameters, you will not have any accurate information.

If it is for avanquest specifically, you may want to try polling programs closer to your niche...Halloween costumes may not be good while software, design, testing, etc... may be. You also need to take other factors into consideration like who is managing the program and their current and past relationships, which network/s the program is on, is they have a brand name or not, the different types of marketing allowed, the TOS, etc...

There is still no way to give you an accurate response unless you be more specific about what you are looking for and the type of data you need for your reports.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

I am so thrilled that I found this forum and thread today. I have recently been contacted by a local vitamin company that I have been an affiliate of for the past year about helping them with their affiliates. Right now they have been doing a terrible job and have about a 2% active affiliate rate.

After dumping some of the dead beats that have brought in no traffic for 6 months, I am in charge of setting up contact with those that are semi active. Thats all for now and I will keep reading to learn more.

Hi Jeff. Welcome to ABW. You'll definitely find a lot of info to help work out your program. I urge you to post an introduction in the Introduce Yourself Forum. That will get the ball rolling for getting to know people and networking.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffwend
    After dumping some of the dead beats that have brought in no traffic for 6 months, I am in charge of setting up contact with those that are semi active. Thats all for now and I will keep reading to learn more.
    Hi Jeff and welcome to ABW.

There's been much discussion about keeping non-active affiliates in a program or not, probably a good subject to search and get some feedback. I know I have signed up for programs with the intention of building out a site for them sometimes months later. I like to sign up when I find a program, especially independent merchants, so I don't forget where they are when I'm ready. It's not unusual for that schedule to slip from months to a year or more due to limited time.

Something to think about as you dump the dead beats. One of them may have been a super affiliate with limited time for a merchant they thought would have potential someday.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Not Enough!

Hi Everybody on ABW. Am Veena Affiliate Manager. We are into online gifts and flower deliveries across 80 countries.Am new to this forum hoping to get best inputs here for our Affiliate Programs provided through shareasale. We presently have 130 affiliates. I want to increase this no. aggressively for the festive season. Please Advice.
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; November 1st, 2008 at 08:50 AM.

An extremely small percentage of our affiliates are active. The good news is that of those few that ARE active are some that are VERY active.

I send a personal welcome to each new affiliate and offer to answer any questions or concerns they may have about the program. Unfortunately many sign up who never respond to any communication and I find emails bouncing back ... Many newsletters are deleted without being read but it is still important to send them out.

Hi Veena - I hope you are successful in your drive to build your number of affiliates but keep in mind it is not just a numbers game. Quality is more important than quantity.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Super Affiliates
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.Even I send personal messages to all the affiliates but hardly two - three guys reply back. I personally thank them for joining the program and ask for their requirements in terms of banners and promotions but its not effective.I want to work towards getting super affiliates. But not quite aware of what would be the best way and hence joined the forum.

Plz help me if you have any tips on this.

Again thanks for the reply.

Veena Bidla
    edit sig
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; November 1st, 2008 at 08:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast