ABW Ambassador
    Was reading this at webmasterworld
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/ieupdate/

Something to do with ActiveX controls and Java applets. If you use them somehow on your site, something to read.

Also next version of Windows, Longhorn, might handle the BHO problem. Long way away, 2006. Means no more toolbars. Search for longhorn bho or variations of that, there has been discussion about it. Also some stuff about being able to see what BHO's are on your computer from IE tools.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on October 23, 2003 at 02:33 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    So the solucion the the BHOs will come from Micro$oft coz I don't see a solution from the Networks before 2006

It can't get any worse, so any change is for the better.

Javi

-------------
    <font size="1">Ladies and Gentleman you are being robbed every day, you know it and you're not doing anything about it. When is enough, enough? </font>

ABW Ambassador
    While Longhorn is still a ways off, I can't help but wonder if it has already effected "network willingness" to discuss parasite related issues with us. As time progreses we'll likely see more willingness from other sources as well.

It's a good opportunity for some slick pr spin and one that networks won't be likely to overlook.

===================================
    Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

ABW Ambassador
    These changes see us immediately in a very very good position. Not only at 2006, but at once.

carneol

Thanks for the heads up TrustNo1. I can see an influx of client inquiries coming once word gets out on these new updates required from the lawsuit Microsoft lost.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

I heard that Microsoft is royally pissed off at the security issues it's suffered through lately, and the BHOs that have the ability to download without permission and screw up everything.

Guess they've decided to fix it so they don't have to deal with the problems they create anymore.

Good for them!

Andy

I have to show my ignorance and ask what is a BHO

I could type much better if I had knuckles

BHO = Browser Helper Object

CLICK HERE for more abbreviations ...

<font color=blue size="1">"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."</font>

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    If MS shut down activex in IE, we affiliates would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Well, at least getting paid what we're SUPPOSED TO.

Please, let it be true!

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

ABW Ambassador
    The changes Microsoft annouces are because of companies and communities like the City of Munich have changed to other software producers. They fear securtiy leaks in the Microsoft products. Perhaps we affiliates really can laugh if Microsoft has solved that problem.

carneol

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    And in case you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/33569.html

"Flea can execute automatically when users open HTML formatted emails in Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express. Unlike most Windows nasties, the bug does not depend on a user opening an infectious file to do its mischief, Finnish AV vendor F-Secure warns."

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

ABW Ambassador
    I never used Outlook Express and I will certainly NOT start now.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I do not casually predict where abusive wrong thinking business practices will meet their doom due to consumer backlash. I predicted 3 years ago the online Ad industry was in for some real pain as they hadn't a clue or a vision about how to to value into a click. Well Microsoft just might help all us normal domain bound affiliate muzzle the S/W affiliates once and for all. $Bill Bill doesn't take kindly to his O/S and browser hijackers ruining his customers Windows experience with their buggy spyware/adware plug-ins, drive-by installs and e-mail virus laden spam. Whack his net worth by 8% in one day and you have his attention.... consumers.

The death of the loyality shopping plug-in browser reminder application and the data mining exploits by the Ad whores might be coming sooner then expected.

"Security flaws in Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) software has hurt users, businesses and governments for years, but until now has caused little pain for the world's largest software maker's bottom line.

That changed this week when Microsoft reported an unexpected dip in corporate contracts during the September quarter due to customer concerns over the security of its products, triggering on Friday the sharpest drop in Microsoft's share price since Sept. 17, 2001, the day markets reopened after the World Trade Center attacks.

Shares in the Redmond, Washington-based company fell by about 8 percent to close at $26.61 on the Nasdaq, where it was by far the most actively traded issue, with more than 210 million shares trading hands.

Analysts said the security issue was diverting the company's energies, as sales representatives spent more time putting out fires and mending fences with clients and less time making new sales.

The maker of the Windows operating system posted a rise in profit and revenue in its fiscal first quarter, but analysts and investors focused instead on the $768 million drop in so-called unearned revenue -- a key measure of Microsoft's future sales.

Unearned revenue, which reflects sales from contracts that span several years, fell to $8.25 billion from $9 billion in the previous quarter. Microsoft had been expecting a decline of $200 million to $300 million.

Chief Financial Officer John Connors conceded in Thursday's conference call that the drop was driven in large part by security concerns among customers during the latest quarter, when the Blaster worm emerged and devastated computers worldwide.

Analysts said the hit to Microsoft's results could be more of an incentive for the software maker to fix its security woes and shore up it's vulnerability to 3rd party disruptive applications.

"Microsoft is not a charity, they're not going to fix security out of the kindness of their heart," said Bruce Schneier, a computer security expert and chief technology officer at Counterpane Internet Security. "They will act to eliminate all outside sources of security holes to protect their bankroll."

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Microsoft might be forced to require a "approved plug-in" certificate for any browser modifications to act on it's IE7.0 browser to eliminate the backdoor call home trojans and privacy info scraping. They seem to be treating all external programs a potential security problem with theftware/spyware/spam/viruses being bundled into one force threatening MS's monopoly and cash cow.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Well I see it as a healthy sign for the ABWers who will still be here 2 years from now, and not be flipping burgers at Micky-D's. The dishonest and unethical forces within this affiliate advertising industry have accumulated enough shopper hatred to set off the lunch mob in the WWW.

Before election 2004 is over, with all the butt kissing politicians do to win over voters, you'll see all the gorilla marketers getting tar-feathered and run out of Dodge or thrown into Boot Hill. Abusive Telemarketers -gone! Opt-Out e-mail marketing, co-regs and list brokering tarred and feathered. Offshore spammers have their IP's banned worldwide and whole countries forced to put their Ad Whores into shallow Boot Hill graves to get off the IP blacklist.

Microsoft looks at every potential security hole after Bill Gates screams to managers about taking a 8 billion $$$ stock loss last Friday. He already publicly professed his hatred for spammers, drive-by installs -P2P copy-write theft -Outlook e-mail viruses and Windows backdoor trojan Horses. Every single computer manufacturer is up in arms over the servicing/warranty costs of buggy BHO's accounting for 42% of all onsite service calls in the last 12 months. Remember him? He's the one who controls the actions of 92% of all the computers in the world and can tell the peons running these Ad networks to jump to his tune.

My plan is completely in motion to force this industry to adopt the Computer VAR (Value Added Reseller) business model and distance it's self from the Ad Whore mentality. Merchants in this model have to prove they pay on time and report every damn referral sale. Affiliates in this model have to prove their pre-sell worth by adding real value to move products and services for the merchants. All else is worthless BS and now subject to to multi-million dollar fines,jail time or network and SE banishment.

Sure the rats are jumping ship and I for one will not follow a single one of them until they put a pro-affiliate sales manager at the helm steering the ship. All programs will be judged by their proven conversion ratios, EVEN if the networks and merchants don't like it! Frosts their butts that Webmaster Mike has the last say in this matter as he knew all along what the consumers would demand!

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TODAY TO PUT REAL VALUE INTO A CLICK...from the consumers standpoint?

Mike & Charlie ...

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread