Am I asking for Trouble with this Domain Name?
    Hi Guys,

I have a couple of domain names in the health industry, of which I would like to add another to my list. Furthermore, i would like to use the word - 'Success' at the end of the new domain name.

However (especially in the health industry), I want to be careful not to use a word, that may not deliver to some visitors, the results they are seeking regarding their health.

For example, I see alot of health websites that use the word - 'Cure'. I don't know if I would ever want to use that word, (unless it's absolutely guaranteed), as I feel that the word "cure" is a very strong word, of which people may lean on heavily, and possibly set themselves up for disappointment if the product doesn't work....and then possibly, you receive emails from people who claim you let them down - upset or otherwise and you lose credibility.

Therefore, just as mere examples...

Toothache Remedy Success.com

Acne Treatment Success. com

Carpal Tunnel Relief Success. com

Do you think that using the word' Success' in a domain name, (I really like this word), to hopefully grab peoples' attention would be okay, or am I setting myself up for a bunch of either disappointed , if not angry visitors, if what I offer doesn't work for them?

Maybe this is being silly and paranoid, but I just want to do the prudent thing...

(I guess the word - 'disclaimer' comes to mind - yes?)....but any other suggestions to cover myself would greatly appreciated

Thanks for listening ,
    Mark

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Hmmmmm - I don't know, just gonna offer an opinion. I'll also be curious to hear other opinions.

I think if people are typing in the combination of words associated with your domain name, then that's a good domain name.

Example: Do you think people with acne are searching for "acne remedy success?" If not, then I'd say it's not the greatest domain name but I also think the word success will inspire some sort or imagined confidence in your site.

If you only put acne products on the site that you know for sure work, you should be guilt free. If you add every product with an affiliate program and someone buys a product that doesn't perform, you can slap yourself silly and yes, you will lose credibility.

And sometimes, you have no choice but to try to find a domain name in a crowded field that isn't already taken so you gotta pick the best you can get and adding the word success to your domain name isn't the worst word I can think of.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Hi Rexanne,

I appreciate your thoughts and yeah, it's kind of a toughy eh?

i really do like the word 'success', but just don't want people to miscontrue it also.

Let's take one of the examples I used in my post - 'Carpal Tunnel Relief Success. com....

Now what I've found in my own niche, that the first 3 words I have, came back with great search results with little competition. However, those 3 words have already been taken as a domain name. BUT, I still want to keep and use those 3 seemingly profitable words, but just have to add some 'attention-getting' word at the end.

I want a word that will sway people to click on the site and maybe it's just me, but I thought 'Success' was a decent word for that. However, I don't want it to be misleading either...hmmm?

Maybe I can post disclaimers in red font at the bottom of every page and even say it in my video, that these methods and products 'have' indeed been successful for many people, but since every body is built differently, it may not work for literally every person - hmm, just not sure what to do here...?

Funny thing, I'm actually pretty good with coming up with catchy titles for my headlines and articles, but just a weee bit stumped on this one

I hope other people chime in here with their 2 cent's worth, because I would love to hear other perspectives - thanks again Rexanne!

Best,
    Mark

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffilMarx
    Now what I've found in my own niche, that the first 3 words I have, came back with great search results with little competition. However, those 3 words have already been taken as a domain name. BUT, I still want to keep and use those 3 seemingly profitable words, but just have to add some 'attention-getting' word at the end.

I want a word that will sway people to click on the site and maybe it's just me, but I thought 'Success' was a decent word for that. However, I don't want it to be misleading either...hmmm?
    I think success is an excellent "attention grabbing" word and wasn't trying to dissuade you from using it, just agree with you that it will likely put the pressure on you big time to come up with a "solution" for your visitors.

Maybe I can post disclaimers in red font at the bottom of every page and even say it in my video, that these methods and products 'have' indeed been successful for many people, but since every body is built differently, it may not work for literally every person - hmm, just not sure what to do here...?
    I think most health and advice sites have disclaimers so yeah, go ahead and add one to the bottom of all your pages. But also try to maintain integrity by only promoting products that you are sure work or that are not going to hurt or rip off your visitors.

Funny thing, I'm actually pretty good with coming up with catchy titles for my headlines and articles, but just a weee bit stumped on this one

I hope other people chime in here with their 2 cent's worth, because I would love to hear other perspectives - thanks again Rexanne!

Best,
    Mark
    Yeah, it's a good question. Got me intrigued enough to think about it :-) and you're very welcome. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

AffilMarx I don't really have a solution for you (even though the word "solution" is one possible replacement for success that comes to mind), but here is a tool that I've been using for a while that you may find useful Visuwords . Hopefully this will help.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I think success is an excellent "attention grabbing" word and wasn't trying to dissuade you from using it, just agree with you that it will likely put the pressure on you big time to come up with a "solution" for your visitors.

I think most health and advice sites have disclaimers so yeah, go ahead and add one to the bottom of all your pages. But also try to maintain integrity by only promoting products that you are sure work or that are not going to hurt or rip off your visitors.

Yeah, it's a good question. Got me intrigued enough to think about it :-) and you're very welcome. :-)
    Hi Again Rexanne!

Thank you for taking the time to reply once more and sharing more of your thoughts

Well since this has you intrigued, please let me know anytime, now or in the near future, if you have any 'light-bulb' moments, as a possible solution to this dilemma, as I'll be all ears - believe me!

Maybe I shouldn't be putting so much effort in such a thing, where maybe other people would have a much easier time with this, but I really want to make this pariticular domain name work, as I plan to have it for a very long time with great content. Thus wanting to make it 'stick' with my visitors - hence my quandary.

let me know Rexanne, if anything in the future comes to mind

Thank you again for your efforts!
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    AffilMarx I don't really have a solution for you (even though the word "solution" is one possible replacement for success that comes to mind), but here is a tool that I've been using for a while that you may find useful Visuwords . Hopefully this will help.

-rematt
    Hi Rematt,

I appreciate the link, as I could certainly see how that would be very helpful...a little bit like Quintura.com actually. But this one is more fun.

The graphics kind of resembles what my brain must look like right now!

Plus, when you play around with the graphics using your cursor, it reminds me of sticking my finger into jello when it's not quite ready to eat

Thanks again for the link!

Best,
    Mark

superCool's opinion…..

your domain name is not a guarantee – it’s just a domain name. your visitors are hoping for success and you are too, but there’s no implied guarantee involved. if your site helps people strive for success, then that’s all you can do. superCool would not worry about this at all.

this site is call A Best Web – is it really A Best Web? what if there’s a better web out there? OH MY!!

good luck

Hi Rematt,

I appreciate the link, as I could certainly see how that would be very helpful...a little bit like Quintura.com actually. But this one is more fun.
    I love making the words dance by dragging them back and forth (more fun after a couple of drinks). I use it at least once a day. I'm not really sure where I heard about it, probably here.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by superCool
    superCool's opinion…..

your domain name is not a guarantee – it’s just a domain name. your visitors are hoping for success and you are too, but there’s no implied guarantee involved. if your site helps people strive for success, then that’s all you can do. superCool would not worry about this at all.

this site is call A Best Web – is it really A Best Web? what if there’s a better web out there? OH MY!!

good luck
    Hey Supercool,

Thank you for your analogy...certainly makes sense!

...and when you mentioned about 'Guarantee'...now THAT'S a strong word that I would never use!

Funnily, there's a health site out there, that has the word - 'cure' in his domain name.

He's a single guy (no big .edu site, or corporation), just himself and he gets aprx. 35,000 visitors a month and he just went live 2 years ago and seems to be doing pretty well.

Well I am quite sure that not every single person that goes to his site gets 'Cured' after buying his product - which is actually a book. So I guess that's a good sign, that if somebody like this can use the word - Cure and he doesn't seem to be having any problems.

However, it's one of those things where with the numerous people I've asked this question, including you guys here on this forum, it's a 50/50 split on yays and nays...so does anybody have a coin I can borrow?

Thanks again for your input, as it does make me feel somewhat better

Mark

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    I love making the words dance by dragging them back and forth (more fun after a couple of drinks). I use it at least once a day. I'm not really sure where I heard about it, probably here.

-rematt
    Hey there Matt,

If you say it's more fun with a couple of drinks, all you need now with that website, is a little Dark Side of the Moon and a 'lava lamp' ! I'd be on there for hours and getting educated at the same time

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by superCool
    this site is call A Best Web – is it really A Best Web? what if there’s a better web out there?
    The fact that this question was brought up means that there is a better web out there as such, we (ABW) succeeded.

--------

AffilMarx,

The word success in a domain is more of an emotional descriptor than factual one as success (or it's interpretation) varies from person to person, as such I think it's safe to use for SERPs and your domain nomenclature.

Bravo for going that extra step in helping to clean up and maintain ethics in Affiliate Marketing!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thank you Haiko for you perspective and that's encouraging - what you mentioned.

I can truly see you point and would not disagree with you. I guess this leaves me to believe that it is just so darn subjective however....

What one person may interpret, another person would think completely differently.....and especially, when you have people who are in dire need of finding a solution to their problem, I would really wish to be careful in the manner in which I deliver myself and my site.

If I don't come to any conclusion soon, of how to go about solving this dilemma, I might just go and find a domain name that says - CureYourHealth100%GuaranteedSuccess.com......and be done with it ! ) )

Thanks for you reply Haiko,
    Mark

You also don't want the domain name too long. If it's a generic type name, you would also do better with something close to what people would search for.

But then again, as long as it's a decent domain, its your choice, just go with it

Quote Originally Posted by FDC
    You also don't want the domain name too long. If it's a generic type name, you would also do better with something close to what people would search for.

But then again, as long as it's a decent domain, its your choice, just go with it

Thanks for you reply and thoughts - I appreciate it!

I'm very careful to never choose a name that's too long - either to remember and/to spell.

Mark

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Not that it's completely relevant, but AcneOintments.com is available. You won't get any type ins for that, but using a word like ointment qualifies your surfer a bit, you know what they are looking for, and you avoid the words you seem to be taking an issue with..... I am sure there are other words than ointments you can use, perhaps some of them will be available...

The point I am trying to make is, if you think the word 'success' might be too spammy, then find a word that applies directly to the product group you are developing for, something that focusses the product and the traffic.
    Last edited by Thomas A. Rice; October 6th, 2008 at 11:10 AM.

AffilMarx,

Its always better to be safe than sorry with the FDA, I would suggest a disclaimer at the bottom of your page, especially if you are going with the natural supplements ream

"These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."

A disease, according to the FDA "...means damage to an organ, part, structure, or system of the body such that it does not perform properly." Since I doubt that you are manufacturing the product, I wouldn't be to terribly worried. Alzheimer's is a disease, "absentmindedness" associated with aging is not. The FDA is all about technicalities. I have seen a plethora(almost) of sites that contain the words cure or remedy and the like and those sites don't seem to have any issues (from what I can tell).If you do plan on posting health info, it is definitely worth doing some extra homework.
    If your merchants are honest, you shouldn't have a problem, Hope that helps a bit.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread