Does anyone here know of a good programmer that can migrate my server from RedHat versions 7.0 to Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

Please do not post how you think 2000 or any other nonsense is better.

I want what I want and need what I need. Thanks for everyone’s understanding on this.

ABW Ambassador
    Whenever I need programming, I go to rentacoder.com

Thanks Irma,

But this is server serious and I need a reputable firm.

Just incase anyone needs a migration I decided to use Marker Seven, Inc. After the migration is complete I will let you know how well they do.

Oh the boogers charge $125 an hour, to migrate a server it can take up to 8 hours.

Have to love it when RedHat changes there OS. NOT!

Ouch!!! $125.00 per hour is steep! Wish I had seen this before you went over to them .. we could have saved you much.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

For $125.00 / hour they have to do a good job. I would choose a reputable company too. In the past I sometimes looked at prices only...and I won't do that anymore When someone messes up at a low price, the costs are high in the end

125/hour is more than anyone likes to pay but it's hardly a steep price for the job. You are paying for knowledge and a smooth transition not for someone to do you a personal favor. I would have charged even more to do it.

Make your time

Well...I would have charged more than $1000 / hour , as I know I would seriously mess up and with $1000 / hour I maybe have some money left to pay an attorney

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DesignerWiz.com Team:
    Ouch!!! $125.00 per hour is steep! Wish I had seen this before you went over to them. We could have saved you much. Ray Thomas <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray I am all ears, I am still waiting on the contract and have not paid the 50% up front yet. Nor have I asked for the move yet.

I do want the server down only 20 minutes and I will not do the hard drive bump.

It’s a simple web server move and mysql, nothing really fancy stuff.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "I do want the server down only 20 minutes"

"to migrate a server it can take up to 8 hours"

That doesn't compute, how can it take 8 hours and only have 20 mins of downtime?

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Hello Sandra,

As Leader said on down time possibilities ... you never know in these events .. I sent you a PM.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

By utilizing a new server and while the migration is being processed all the information is still live. When the migration is completed there is a testing period and then IP swap to which should only take the site being down 20 minutes.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    If you've got two servers in the same location, and can play with the IP numbers assigned to each system, they're no reason for ANY downtime.

And you don't need a programmer, you need a SYS ADMIN.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drewbert:
    And you don't need a programmer, you need a SYS ADMIN.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looked into what you said and her title is:

Senior System Architect / Consultant

You were right

I'm fairly new to the board but I'll pipe in on this one... As long as there isn't a time crunch (regarding how long you are able to keep both servers/connections active) they should be able to perform your migration with pretty much zero downtime. PM me with details and I'd be glad to give you some things to watch out for / questions to ask before you let them loose on your servers. Oh, what fond memories I have of pulling all-nighter server migrations

--B

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr.B:
    I'm fairly new to the board but I'll pipe in on this one... As long as there isn't a time crunch (regarding how long you are able to keep both servers/connections active) they should be able to perform your migration with pretty much zero downtime. PM me with details and I'd be glad to give you some things to watch out for / questions to ask before you let them loose on your servers. Oh, what fond memories I have of pulling all-nighter server migrations

--B<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for being so kind as to offer your advice. I do have 1 monster question se2 or se3

Se3 will be available in 2 weeks Karen who I am looking at handling this situation, but have not signed a contract until Ray is kind enough to provide some reputable companies that can possibly do it for less than $125 an hour.

Back to the issues of se2 and se3; Karen made comment that se2 would be the best bet; the platforms are known and would not be an issue to migrate.

Se3 Karen states would not be advisable to move to as it is not proven and may come with bugs upon the initial release.

I would prefer to pay all that money ONCE and not have to do this again for about 4-5 years but if I go with se2 I am sure to have a wonderful OS for about 4 years. Now if I go with se3 HUMMMM what am I looking at? Or is this a marketing tactic to get income twice for the same server within 5 years?

After re-reading this does this make sense? And can you offer some advice on the OS systems?

Oops better edit this post; I bought the other server for the change. So time is not a limit.

For the purchase, the company is going to give me another 40 Gigs of hard drive space, damn I do not use but 48% of what I have, with this new server I can actually spare about 40 Gigs of space if I want to sell to others. I like that thought.

I believe that you're asking whether you should upgrade to the latest and greatest version of Redhat Enterprise. To be honest, I haven't looked at Redhat in a couple of years (since 7.0) and back then they didn't have a very good track record for .0 releases (for example, 7.0 would have major problems that would get fixed in 7.x). I can't really comment on Redhat Enterprise as I haven't used any of their enterprise products. I prefer Debian over Redhat due to the package management system (dpkg and apt-get) but I'm not going to start any religious debates over OS and Debian is definately not known to be super user friendly out of the box.

So, the short answer is that I'm not able to make recommendations as to what version of Redhat to use. I would suggest, though, if you're running your own server that you make sure that you only run services that are necessary and that you have someone that makes sure your systems are secure and critical packages are up to date. Linux is superior to windows IMO but there are still vulnerabilities that come to light fairly frequently and there are lots of script kiddies out there just drooling over the chance to get r00t on your box.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread