Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My kid is the smartest...
    ok.... I am more than likely making a big deal out of this... Friday Morning I am going to go meet with my little angels (hehe) Kindergarten teacher for our first Parent - Teacher conference ever!!!

I know that ever parent thinks that their kid is the smartest and their kid is the prettiest (which.. btw.. my daughter is) but now I get to meet with the person partly responsible for molding her young mind and who is (hopefully) going to be non bias about how much of a genius she is...

What if she is some sort of mad scientist super genius and they want to bump her up a grade? or What if she is not as smart as we thought and needs "special" classes...

Not sure why I am so nervous...

I have a list of questions that I want to ask the teacher while I have the one on one time..... but are there and questions that you would ask as a newb?

Thanks...
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

ABW Ambassador
    Every parent thinks that their child is the smartest, prettiest etc

However, when reality does hit home, us parents come to realize that our child really is no different than any of the others.

just ask the teacher if your child is doing ok

On the local TV station here they featured a girl here last night who is 13 and a Junior in college.

They also said she is a Medical Researcher for a company during her spare time.

She graduated from high school at 11 and had a perfect 4.0 for high school.

Maybe your daughter will be like that.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    However, when reality does hit home, us parents come to realize that our child really is no different than any of the others.
    ughhhh.. I'm sure you're right.

great - now what do I do with this set of encyclopedia britannica's I bought?!? <wink>
    @jasonrubacky

Jason, my advice is to go for normal. You'll have enough issues just teaching her to be a good person and getting her grown up without having to add stresses of special education, in either direction. The "I think my child is the prettiest and the smartest" is really about you, not her...

X

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    On the local TV station here they featured a girl here last night who is 13 and a Junior in college.

They also said she is a Medical Researcher for a company during her spare time.

She graduated from high school at 11 and had a perfect 4.0 for high school.

Maybe your daughter will be like that.

What a poor kid.

She must have missed out on so many things that are vital to the development of a child, and ultimately into an adult.

I actually feel sorry for her. I would not want that for my children.

I've got two grown kids -- oldest is my son, two years younger is my daughter. When my son was born, I held him many, many hours, staring into his eyes as he frowned back at me. I thought: "What?? Is this kid retarded?? Why does he stare back at me so intently and frown like that??"

He was measured with an IQ of 165+ when he was in 3rd grade.

My daughter was much like me from the moment we brought her home: Much more quiet, gentler, even "laid back" than her brother. She went happily through childhood, was the most popular kid in her class with her peers many times because she was cheerful, a little mischievous, and always ready to help others.

We never actually had word from teachers or anyone about what her IQ was/is -- pretty much average.

My son is now a "rocket scientist" (aerospace engineer), likeable, but very shy and, sadly, never married and very lonely as a single adult.

My daughter is married, happy in her life, one of the most mentally and emotionally STABLE people I've ever known. (Next to her mother.) She's a licensed counselor and works full-time with an organization counseling the homeless. She's a youth leader at church, and I am incredibly proud of her.

In fact, I'm incredibly proud of both kids -- but they are and always have been very DIFFERENT.

If your daughter's brilliant and beautiful (as I'm sure she is; to you, Dad, she'd better be! LOL!) or just "average" (hate that word, "average," don't you?), you have the great joy and privilege of helping her be all that she can be!! Hooray for you!! And hooray for her!!

Sorry for the ramble, guess I really didn't share anything all that profound or helpful.

The 100% guaranteed "Writerguy System" for perfect parenting which will lead to the best possible children -- LOVE YOUR KIDS. Love 'em always, love 'em unconditionally, and let 'em know you love 'em. Simple as that, really. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

Jason,

You like me MUST be BESTesssss Daddy ever. Just ask a ton of questions and add her teacher's e-mail address to your contacts.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy

The 100% guaranteed "Writerguy System" for perfect parenting which will lead to the best possible children -- LOVE YOUR KIDS. Love 'em always, love 'em unconditionally, and let 'em know you love 'em. Simple as that, really. LOL!
    I agree with you 100% Gary!

Jason, ask your daughter's teacher if she's a "good citizen." - That's one I always ask and you can find out a lot about your daughter that way.

Parent Teacher conferences are fun. You get to talk about your child ad naseum for about 15 minutes.

Another thing to watch out for is talking about yourself too much. A friend of mine who is a teacher always cracks up at parents who spend most of the parent teacher conference talking about themselves instead of their child.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Jason, my advice is to go for normal.
    Man, that's gonna be a stretch for Jason.

I always ask what kinds of things WE need to be doing at home to either go along with what is happening in class or help her with things that she isn't doing in class.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    Man, that's gonna be a stretch for Jason.
    man... are you right!

So if I followed everyone correctly...

-Don't let her know that I love her-

-Talk about myself non-stop at the conference-

-Pay no attention to her homework and her current lesson plan-

GOT IT!

Dad of the year.............here I come!

Seriously.... thanks for the great advice everyone!
    @jasonrubacky

Wow, Jason, you really did get some great advice. I'm so impressed with our colleagues here! My only other thing to add would be to think of the teacher and yourself as partners in this "child development" thing - ask her/him what they need to be successful. Share the positive and negative that you see in your daughter - know what areas you need to advocate and where you don't need to.

In my case, my daughter is really really bright, but she just doesn't like to work. So I always go in to the teachers, ask them what I can do to support them, tell them I will be really interested to know their assessment and opinion throughout the year, and that I really want the teacher to have high expectations for my child. She needs someone who won't let her "slide" through this. My son, on the other hand, pushes himself really hard (he scored in the 99th percentile on the school assessment recently), but acts out when he's bored. So I had to let the teacher know that when he's being a smart a--, it could be because he needs more of a challenge (he's in 1st grade - this happened last year in kindergarten).

So, know in what ways you need to advocate for your child, and other than that, respect and appreciate the expertise and authority that your teacher has, and offer to support her in the amazing job she's trying to do for your child.

The best thing you can do is help the teacher, who has 22 or so kids to watch out for, understand the individual needs of your child - you'll save her lots of "observation" time by helping her with this! So she can get started with the important work of giving her individualized care and attention.

Congrats on making it to kindergarten - what an amazing, terrific time! Good luck!

When our first daughter and son were teenagers, along came our "bonus baby". He's about to turn 20 this year. He arrived at just the right time to grow up with the computer revolution. He was at the keyboard of a DOS machine at two years of age. To use the legacy programs and games in those days you had to be able to read menus. As a result he entered kindergarten reading fluently at a fourth grade level. With that foundation he consistently scored in the top ninety nine percentile of almost every subject in the yearly SAT tests and the comparison graphs on the last page of the test results showing where he fit in compared to everyone else topped out in the "beyond high school" section. He attended a private school until high school when we enrolled him in an alternative school where he had to be "accepted" and then his junior year in Internet school. He went and got his GED and opted out of his senior year.

Bottom line is that he lacks motivation and is currently working security at the mall. After raising the other two we may have spoiled him, but it seemed that no amount of working with him could motivate him where there was little challenge. Aside from keen intelligence, he is a very honest kid with well defined convictions and very personable. Those are the attributes where his values lie.

So work with what ya got. Sometimes that entails giving up the things you want your child to accomplish and emphasizing those that they can (or will).

X

Wow, Boomer. Thanks so much for sharing your story. It's fascinating and insightful. This whole parenting thing is truly a complicated gig.

superCool thought his youngest was a little angle too. then one day the school called to talk about the cigarettes, the gambling and the wedgies she'd been giving all the boys. but that was 3 years ago. she's in 4th grade this year and doing fine.

good luck!!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Funetics
    This whole parenting thing is truly a complicated gig.
    Oh yeah!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

It is interesting to read how some of you with older kids have turned out and to learn about their personality/character traits. Gary and Boomers, thanks for sharing. Supercool, you are gonna have your hands full

Gary, my 2 kids, boy 13 and girl 10 sounds identical like yours. To the T. It's scary. My son, smart, high IQ, but quirky at times and not as good with social cues. He's our half-empty boy. My daughter, has tons of friends, always smiling and bubbly, and sees everything as half-full. They are totally different and need two different approaches.

Jason, I sense your excitement and that is great. You'll do fine. I find that teachers will not tell you everything nor your kids unless you see for yourself. See them interacting with each other on the playground, field trips, in class, or on play dates. When they are young, teachers often ask for volunteers so try to do that at least once. Get involved, but don't hover. Don't be a helicopter parent. Just go along, and observe. You will learn a lot by just watching your child.

Congrats on your smartest, prettiest kid being a kindergartener

Ask her how much it would cost to ensure the highest marks and greatest praise when assessing the students for the next year. No, I'm teasing. Grades & "schooling" are VERY, VERY important, BUT, the very first thing you should want to ask is whether your child seems to be having fun. Are they enjoying their experience. My family consists primarily of educators. The lowest level of education ANYONE in my family has is a Masters Degree. Most are PhD's or JD's. We have all been taught that if a child is not ENJOYING school, they will never excel (regardless of intelligence or ability.) The "schooling" will come later. Let your child love school first.

p.s. #1 - Have I have become my parents?

p.s. #2 - I am NOT one of the people with the Masters Degrees, so HA! on my sisters.
    Last edited by JeremyHFSykes; September 25th, 2008 at 10:30 AM.

ok... so I met with Ms. S this morn! turns out it wasn't a normal parent - teacher conference.

<sigh>

the teacher just wanted to let us now that she is aware of her capabilities and is not just letting her slip thru the cracks... she challenges her daily above and beyond the normal lesson plan even though the papers she brings home may not reflect that.

the verdict - my daughter is doing great. she tested in the 97th percentile in the nation and tested at a 2nd grade reading level (better than me)!

<sigh>... proud dad

thanks again everyone for your helpful advice and your wonderful stories! I'll be sure to have Brynn whip up a thank you card once she masters Photo Shop...

thanks again!

oh btw... took the advice and signed up for the first field trip.
    @jasonrubacky

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rubacky
    ok... so I met with Ms. S this morn! turns out it wasn't a normal parent - teacher conference.
    My condolences...

X

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Brynn already thanked us via Twitter, get with the times old man

She ordered a gift basket for me...

X

She ordered a toupee for her dad from me...

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

... And a subscription to Modern Parenting.

(This is going south in a hurry!)

X

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast