Hey Everyone...Beeen Gone Awhile.

Is it just me with a virus hit no one else has? I just can't get qksrv.net links to hardly ever come up? Like I said, I've been away awhile. What's going on?

ABW Ambassador
    Got kazaa lite or nortons?

ABW Ambassador
    For the time being it may behoove us to replace "www.qksrv.net" with the qksrv IP: 216.34.209.13

------------------------------
    "It's nice to be on the banned book list...or banned from anything...it means people fear you" ~ Fred Conquest

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamyT:
    Got kazaa lite or nortons?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those both block qksrv. links so if you have either of them installed you'll have problems. I've read that the links won't even show up on your own page with Norton's!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Really baffles my mind that CJ has not resolved this yet as it's hurting them, us, and the merchants.

Main reason why I am phasing out CJ links and merchants with suitable replacements ....

It's not the issue itself that bothers me as much as the lack of sense of urgency. Says something about the company....

<font color=blue size="1">"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."</font>

ABW Ambassador
    I agree, Dirk, it does tell something about the company. Maybe now under Valueclick there will be changes, but I don't raise my hopes...

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >For the time being it may behoove us to replace "www.qksrv.net" with the qksrv IP: 216.34.209.13

No good.

CJ will then deposit a cookie using the IP # instead of qksrv.net.

IIRC, they don't look for ip# based cookies, only qksrv.net so you won't get any return sales.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

ABW Ambassador
    Hmmm I use SID's too and have been getting sales from pages that I recently switched from qksrv domain to qksrv IP address. Maybe fromprevious cookies if your assertion is correct.

I just did a test purchase with the IP address substituted, and I will report back in an hour or so on whether it tracked or not. I used a special SID and a PID from a site that I have no links to this merchant from, so if it shows in reports, there will be no question as to whether it was my own purchase or a coincidence.

"It's nice to be on the banned book list...or banned from anything...it means people fear you" ~ Fred Conquest

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Really baffles my mind that CJ has not resolved this yet as it's hurting them, us, and the merchants. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> How is CJ supposed to resolve this? Apparently they did talk to Norton. If Norton told them to take a long walk off a short pier, what can they do? They can't make Norton mind, you know. I believe anyone who has Norton and assorted other programs just aren't going to get the full value of your pages and that is the end of that story. You have to decide if having your site look crappy and be non-functional for those people is offset by the money you can make from the people who can still use your pages or if you would be better off using non-CJ merchants.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    Sale New No $59.95 $8.99 Sale [site edited] Zappos.com 10273706 [transaction id edited] testbuy 27-Oct-2003, 17:59:24 PST 27-Oct-2003, 18:27:44 PST

"testbuy" was the sid.

It works.

ABW Ambassador
    Chief I believe it will work for session purchases, but not for return purchase. So if a user closes his browser and comes back directly the next day, or hour, it will not be picked up....so you are essentially zeroing out your return sales.

ABW Ambassador
    Don't worry Survey Man my peace of mind is worth a lot more than the cost of still another test purchase; it's already part of the plan. I'll wait a day and make another purchase through a direct type-in.

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds good...make sure you clear all previous non-ip based cookies for them b4 your follow-up purchase!

I like traffic lights
    Using ip # instead of qksrv.net opens up the 8% or so of sales from users that are using computers that have qksrv.net blocked, but I think it will kill your non-immediate sales. Don;t know what percentage that is.

I'd love for you to prove me wrong though. Looking forward to hearing the results of your next test.

I like traffic lights
    Also, if you send someone through CJ via the IP#, if the merchant is already in the surfer's qksrv.net CJ cookie, the affiliate in the cookie might get the sale, rather than you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    If Norton told them to take a long walk off a short pier, what can they do? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More then what they are doing or did. That is for sure. They have a legal stand on this.

If they gave me the backing and put it my hands, it would be over the news by now.

Please, there is a LOT they can do then just throw up their hands. More then what they are doing or did. That is for sure.

See what happens under Valueclick ....

<font color=blue size="1">"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."</font>

[This message was edited by Dirk on October 27, 2003 at 11:26 PM.]

My guess is that Norton checked the legalities very well before the did it. CJ and CJ affiliates are probably just tough out of luck on this one.

I don't think putting it on the news would help. Most people don't give a dang if we make money. In fact, a lot of people don't want us to make commissions because they think it adds to the price of the products. They don't see us as a service helping them find what they want and need. The world isn't necessarily affiliate friendly, you know.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

My guess is that Norton has never been challenged with any kind of REAL muscle.

For if they were, they would never be doing what they are doing. That is my guess and a strong one. I doubt even Norton would like bad big corporate exposure with infringing on the little guy etc etc…

Especially with a class action....

Remind me not to ask for your advice when I look for a general to go to war...would lose the war before it even begun.

They can be brought down with the right strategy. Been there, done that…

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread