Click Through: Volume vs Quality
    IMO a high number of high quality CTs is ideal but not particularly attainable in terms of individual affiliate marketing prowess, resources, or time. So affiliates may have to compromise to achieve the best balance.

Which is better?
    A high number of low quality CTs resulting in low EPC
    A low number of high quality CTs resulting in high EPC

X

ABW Ambassador
    it depends on which fits your business model

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers

Which is better?
    A high number of low quality CTs resulting in low EPC
    A low number of high quality CTs resulting in high EPC
    EPC is all about the bottom line.

I'd much rather have a low number of CTs that convert than a high number that don't.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

High traffic, high converting is the Holy Grail, but that means different things in different verticals.

In my world, low traffic, high converting is actually what we're targetting. And by low traffic, I still mean high market share, but since we have a different customer base than say Verizon, or other types of B2B services, I'm not going to get those numbers, traffic wise.

Second, as a made to order manufacturer of a product that also does VERY well in the consumer market (without being customized), I try to key on SEO and SEM that will only bring in the business customers.

My keywords aren't cheap And neither are the call center reps who work here. I try to dissuade onsie twosies from calling us by how I go after traffic.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I get the impression that the strategy of a lot of affiliates is to create as many pages as possible and basically shotgun their merchant hoping to achieve the statistical odds that a given number of CTs will reap a given number of conversions. The target conversion seems to be around 1%. Is this strategy expensive for merchants? If so, what are the costs(not necessarily in monetary terms)?

X

ABW Ambassador
    Whichever makes more money.

I'm a proponent of hyper targeted traffic that naturally results in a higher EPC. All our campaigns are designed that way. Our SAS campaigns are still relatively new with low traffic, but currently yield an EPC of $22.95 at a 7.14% conversion rate. Using the exact same strategy our eBay, which is a more mature campaign, this month so far is yielding an EPC of $30.09, but the CR as I calculate it runs at just under 1%, and that doesn't account for ones that bought multiple items. I hadn't calculated the eBay CR before and am blown away! By that measure I would have called it low quality traffic. Perhaps the measure is lower for eBay conversions than the generally accepted standard for other programs. Makes me curious about the numbers that others are seeing.

Thought I was going to prove a point with those stats but with the 1% eBay conversion rate I sort of ran out of ammo. Just the same, I think that higher quality traffic is more efficient use of my resources and time. It does take a lot of time and effort to create targeted, content oriented campaigns, but it also takes a lot of time to create a massive number of pages and links. Though they may both result in the same bottom line, the former is my choice.

X

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread