ABW Ambassador
    MyOwnLabels.com Leaks
    These are what I found today on MyOwnLabels.com's left navigation bar:

links
    welcome baskets
    favor packaging
    links page

They all lead to other websites. "links page" is a page full of affiliate links

Merchants, let's play a fair game. If you want to get serious business from affiliates, please stop doing sneaky stuff like this.

I emailed a link to this to their affiliate manager.

That's too bad. It's a shame.

I think they have a decent product that they do not need to do something like that. That doesn't make sense. If they loose the sale to another company, doesn't it show in lower EPC? There are even amazon links in there.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    mayfly,

Thanks for posting. We screen merchants for leaks and other quality control before launching their Affiliate program(s), so these appear to be new. There is the chance we could have missed them, though.

Either way, we'll be contacting the merchant from this side as well about the leaks.

Gary M

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    mayfly,

Thanks for posting. We screen merchants for leaks and other quality control before launching their Affiliate program(s), so these appear to be new. There is the chance we could have missed them, though.

Either way, we'll be contacting the merchant from this side as well about the leaks.

Gary M
    Gary, thanks for stepping in on this issue. I appreciate AvantLink's extra effort on "screen merchants for leaks and other quality control before launching their Affiliate program(s)".

I used to email networks about leaking merchants. Most of the time, I got responses like "it's up to affiliates to join or drop a merchant", or asking me to contact the merchant directly.

Most networks don't care if the merchants leak as long as they pay their dues. But affiliates work hard to send traffic to the merchants sites. We want the trafic convert, not leaking to some other sites.

I checked out the merchant "Geek Armor" some time ago and they were extremely leaky, I wrote to them and got no response. I just checked them now and they don't have the leak problem they had before. Now they are "Superherostuff.com pitching their SAS aff program. No wonder their conversion rate is 0.00%.
    AvantLink has lots of really good merchants, not complaining - but some are not what they appear to be.

In response to this we have removed the links from our side navigation. We still have a small link to our links page in the bottom navigation, but it is much less visible now. This is consistent with just about every AvantLink Merchant listed in their "Special Occasion" section. They pretty much all have a similar "links" or "resources" page on their sites.

We are not trying to do anything "sneaky" and we had not recently changed anything with our links. We have had a links page with links to other helpful sites for many years. We have been with AvantLink for a few months.

If the concern is that affiliates will send someone to our site and that person will in turn follow one of our links to another site instead, then it seems like that would be just as much a problem for us. We provide these links to help our customers find other things they might need, but that we don't sell. For example, we sell labels for canning jars but we don't sell the jars themselves so we provide links to sites that do.

Ladidah seemed especially concerned that we provide a link to Amazon. That link is because we sell CD labels but we don't sell the music to put on the CDs. We are not in any kind of affiliate program with Amazon and make no money from someone following the link. Our belief is that people will buy the labels from us and be grateful that we helped them find the other things they need.

We want our site to be affiliate-friendly, but we also want to be helpful to our customers. I hope this alleviates some of your concerns.

My Own Labels

Welcome to ABW mol_jim. I know from email that you contacted AvantLink. I have faith that those guys will advise you well.

Don't be put off if some of the members here seem a little rough from time to time. We all run out of coffee sooner or later. We all have the same interest here in seeing your program do well.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread