EPN is cheating affiliates on commissions? Yes.
    I manage several different EPN accounts for different companies. Today I downloaded some more detailed reports for each of them.

I used the downloaded transaction report. I selected for 1st through the 25th for this month. I also selected to see all transactions rather than just ones that you get revenue from.

There are 3 lines to every commission.

1) Winning Bid (Revenue) $X.XX
    2) Bid/Bin 1
    3) Winning Bid (Count) 1 ---- special note this is an interesting thing.

Each of these has it's own line and matches up with the ebay auction number.

So here I am going through the list and see an issue. The 3 lines aren't all adding up.

I take a look at a particular day and realize there are 4 Bid/Bins in one day, but only 3 lines of Winning Bid (Count) and 3 lines of Winning Bid Revenue.

So one Bid/Bin wasn't counted. Alright. I then select the transaction number and go to the transaction on ebay to see if perhaps there was some issue with the transaction. Since these are recent transactions there isn't any reason for them not to show up.

I see nothing wrong with the transaction itself. It was similar to many other transactions for the month. Also the revenue for this transaction should be a nice chunk of change and not in the pennies.

Okay, so looking back and there are more like this one on this one account.

Going through the other accounts I am seeing the SAME things, and I check out each and every account is having this issue.

Why isn't ebay "counting" these Bid/Bins? Each of the non-counted transactions was ended with BIN. There are absolutely no reason why they wouldn't be counted or be given revenue.

If you add up the worth (I can only guess the actually revenue) of each of these non-counted transactions it can add up to thousands per month.

I encourage each EPN affiliate to go through their detailed transaction reports and match up 3 lines with each transactions. If you have Bid/Bins that ended with BIN you SHOULD get the revenue. I can't believe there are this many instances and it could be unintentional.

Also keep in mind that #2 and #3 are new line items. They only started appearing in reports in September.

But if they are intentionally stealing, why would they be letting any of that information out, rather than simply omitting all traces? Talk about shooting themselves in the foot

I don't put it past them, and I know they're utterly incompetent, but this would make them both criminal *AND* stupid.

Never mind... answered my own question.
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

I have no idea why they would do it.

Before september the only line that would show is #1. So if they wanted not to pay you, then you just wouldn't see ANYTHING. So those tracking issues I spoke about months ago aren't tracking issues, they just might be intended transactions that ebay didn't want to pay to the affiliate.

I suspect their new "value priced" system is the reason for the two new lines. The Winning Bid (count) being the most likely core process for the new "quality score". They are counting the actual bids/bins for every account using a simple line item. No sophisticated algos they are pretending to have. They are just counting the bids and comparing them to your ACRUs and BOOM you have your quality score.

People think because a company has billions at their disposal they would actually implement something fairly sophisticated but that is just far from the truth with EPN.

Also before anyone accuses me of ebay bashing or hating ebay let me just point out I WANT ebay to get it's act together. I have made a lot of money with the ebay affiliate program since it began on CJ.

I have no desire to see it die. Quite the opposite.

However, I don't like not knowing the rules we should play by (for any merchant or advertiser) and I don't like to be cheated.

A hypocrite would accuse and ban other affiliates for their questionable actions all the while cheating honest affiliates out of what they have earned.

ABW Ambassador
    I may be missing something & it's hard w/ not being able to check ebay myself due to being behind a firewall, but how are you looking up each auction to see whether or not it was a BIN?

Also, according to my report, only "Winning Bids" are listed through 9/10/08 - did they change their reporting method on that date? After that, most of the transactions have three lines.

Maybe I did something wrong when I sorted & highlighted my spreadsheet, but the questionable transactions I've left highlighted have no Quantity Sold & no eBay Total amounts, which lead me to believe they were just bids...

So, this is what I did & please tell me where I went wrong - I sorted by eBay Item ID & then by Event Type. I highlighted everything that did not have three identical eBay Item IDs. I then unhighlighted all ACRUs and Winning Bids, leaving me w/ just Bid/BINs. I then unhighlighted everything w/ a revenue other than "1" under Amount. All of those left show no purchases (Quantity Sold & eBay Total). How do I see if those were BINs only & had no bids?
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Reports >Transaction Download

Download Type: Download all events

Date

Program: All programs.

Ebay transaction numbers are on all lines and you can check the actual transaction on ebay itself using the auction number. If it was a BIN it says it was bought that way.

ABW Ambassador
    That's how I ran the report, but what column are you referring to? The eBay Item ID? It can't be the Unique Transaction ID because they aren't on every line & aren't enough to match all of the revenue amounts. If it's the eBay Item ID, how do I use that? Do I append it to an eBay URL? Do you search on eBay for the Item ID?
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Enter the Ebay Item ID into any search box on ebay and it will go directly to the auction. That same ID should also be on all lines that refer to the transaction on the 3 lines listed above.

ABW Ambassador
    I must be doing something wrong... I've searched for the eBay Item ID (several) and it's not finding any. What is it supposed to look like? Mine are like this: "1.30256E+11" ...I've tried all variations of that & nothing.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Thanks for sharing this issue. That is the only way to keep vendors honest.
    Good Work!

Gonzalo

Quote Originally Posted by Celicaphile
    I must be doing something wrong... I've searched for the eBay Item ID (several) and it's not finding any. What is it supposed to look like? Mine are like this: "1.30256E+11" ...I've tried all variations of that & nothing.
    Double click the cell and the real number will appear...

X

If you are downloading excel versions then expand the cell site and possible reformat the column to show the full number (or do as Boomers suggests).

I am still going through every report and compiling more and more issues. I plan to document all of them. Ebay's reporting this week was as late as possible each day (nearly into the next day) so they are definitely bending under the pressure of their new system.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    If you are downloading excel versions then expand the cell site and possible reformat the column to show the full number (or do as Boomers suggests).

I am still going through every report and compiling more and more issues. I plan to document all of them. Ebay's reporting this week was as late as possible each day (nearly into the next day) so they are definitely bending under the pressure of their new system.
    For what it's worth, full documentation gets you paid but leave them the slightest bit of wiggle room and they will come up with confusing excuses not to pay.

They must be hurting bad because this issue is affecting just about all of their "high quality" affiliates.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Double click the cell and the real number will appear...
    Well damn, that makes all the difference in the world! I expanded the cell to show the full contents. I never would have guessed I needed to double click or reformat a cell to see a different number. That's just nonsense! :P
    Hi, I'm a signature.

That's just nonsense! :P
    Agreed!

X

Well damn, that makes all the difference in the world! I expanded the cell to show the full contents. I never would have guessed I needed to double click or reformat a cell to see a different number. That's just nonsense! :P
    Talk to Microsoft about it. lol

It's not just items that end in a BIN situation. I've just been going through my reports and so far I've found two items that there was only one bid and the auction closed. And there was Winning Bid or Count line.

Since you are downloading all the transaction data, I assume that you will get bids where the bidder wasn't the WINNING bidder, so no revenue? The presence of a bid will not equate to the winning bid, necessarily.

I was just checking though my November spreadsheet and am also noticing some BINS not being credited. Has anyone had any luck getting compensated for these?

Does ebay pay for BINS??

Check the items and see if they have/had multiple items available.

A BIN that has multiple quantities available cannot possibly pay accurately until the listing is over. There's no way to know what portion of the listing and extra fees you should get paid on.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread