Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    How to attract Affiliates on SAS?
    Hi all-
    I'm a software merchant and brand new at using affiliate marketing to get exposure for my products. Have been doing a TON of reading here and in other forums and am learning so much!

I signed up for Shareasale as it seems like a good fit for my needs. I also have my own in-house affiliate management program and I'll admit that I signed up for SAS in the hope that I'd be able to get exposure to the affiliates on there whereas my private program gets no exposure on its own.

So how can I get good affiliates on Shareasale to notice my program? I see they have sponsorships (featured merchant of the week, etc) that I may try if people thing they're worthwhile. But are there any other ways to get exposure to SAS affiliates? Message boards, sponsored postings in other places, etc?

I have a really unique product and good commissions (20% to start) so I feel like I should be successful if I can just get some exposure.

Very much appreciate any advice! Thanks,
    Nicholas

ABW Ambassador
    become an active member of this forum to start with. Welcome to ABW

Affiliate Manager
    Agreed! And here I am. I hope this info will be useful to others as well.

Here are a couple of threads on the topic:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=93889

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=91594

Brian, with this question coming up nearly every other week, it may be a good idea to have a stickie on "how to get good affiliates on Shareasale to notice a program" in the SaS forum here at ABW.

G.

http and a telephoto
    Check out the advertising here and post a new program announcement for starters. There are plenty of ways to get affiliates to notice you if your program is attractive and your site is well built with no leaks.

http://www.abestweb.com/advertising/
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Outsourced Program Manager Ashish Selarka's Avatar
    Definitely worth the "New Program Announcement" to start with here on ABW & participate here as much as you can.
    [B]Ashish Selarka[/B]
    Outsourced Program Manager (OPM)
    [COLOR="Red"][B]Programs Managed[/B][/COLOR]: Coming Soon.

Affiliate Manager
    Great, thanks all for the feedback and links! I'm reading and researching all of the above now and look forward to putting in some effort and making it work.

I'm realizing that the fact that I'm a merchant with only one unique product (and a few variants) presents some challenges. I'm not going to appeal to a whole class of affiliates. On the other hand, when my product is a fit, for example with an affiliate who specializes in business productivity software, my product is unique and new, which I would imagine would make it quite attractive.

Anyone have any experience with niche merchants like me?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickmatic

Anyone have any experience with niche merchants like me?
    That is the holy grail of affiliate marketing. A niche merchant that will convert

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Try advertising with SAS too. I have not tried it but i am sure that there are lots of eyeballs on the login page.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    That is the holy grail of affiliate marketing. A niche merchant that will convert
    Hmm, I'd love to think so. I wonder if any ads or promotions we do should be centered around that theme...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Try advertising with SAS too. I have not tried it but i am sure that there are lots of eyeballs on the login page.
    I have tried a number of them "featured program" spots, and found the Featured Program of the Week to be especially effective. No wonder why the next available first spot is in December. By looking at those reservations, it'd be interesting to find out if there really is a difference (say, in the number of hits) between the first and the second spot for the Featured Program of the Week.

You may review your "featured program" options under Tools > Become a Featured Program

Geno

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks Geno! That's great to hear. Maybe I should reserve a spot now... My plan was to get my program in order first and then do things like the announcement and featured slot. I got a couple more creatives completed yesterday and uploaded a datafeed to SAS.

Also tweaked my value proposition based on some things I had read here. I made it clear my cookie time is 60 days and that we can work with affiliates to do custom programs, special offers, etc.

Also applied for PopShops as I've been seeing that recommended around this forum. My thinking with PopShops is that while I might not get a ton of sales that way it can't hurt to have more pages linking to my site at the very least. Also plan on looking into froogle, yahoo shopping, amazon, shopping.com shopzilla, pricegrabber, and nexttag.

Back to research...

...Also plan on looking into froogle, yahoo shopping, amazon, shopping.com shopzilla, pricegrabber, and nexttag.
    These won't help your affiliate recruitment.

In addition to announcing your program here at ABW and at SaS, and offering activation bonuses, provide affiliates with tools, widgets, unique creatives (e.g.: videos) and other things that will make your program attractive, and they will notice you.

Geno

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    In addition to announcing your program here at ABW and at SaS, and offering activation bonuses, provide affiliates with tools, widgets, unique creatives (e.g.: videos) and other things that will make your program attractive, and they will notice you.
    Geno
    Returned from a little vacation and back at it again. Thanks Geno and everyone for the advice so far!

As I mentioned my intent is to make my program attractive before going all-out with program announcements and paid advertisements but that does seem like the next step. I also found a great article that outlines the steps for starting a program:

http://www.revenews.com/jamiebirch/launching-and-relaunching-affiliate-programs/

I hope that will be useful to others as well. Next on my list is adding some more sizes of creatives and a few text ads as well as implementing phone tracking since I now have an 800 number on the web site.

I'll also be reaching out to the affiliates that have already signed up on SAS with personal messages to introduce myself and offer support.

Hope that sounds like I'm on the right track!

SAS has a holiday targeted affiliate recruitment program it may be use full for you to sign yourself up for the Christmas season

Affiliate Manager
    Ok, well I signed up for a week sponsorship on SAS coming up in a few weeks. We'll see if that gets any attention. It would be great to have some traction in place before xmas!

Other than that thinking a professional recruiter might be the way to go. Anyone have any experience or recommendations? I feel like there's gotta be something more I can do than just sit and wait for people to discover my program

Thanks for all the help so far!

Ok, well I signed up for a week sponsorship on SAS coming up in a few weeks. We'll see if that gets any attention. It would be great to have some traction in place before xmas!

Other than that thinking a professional recruiter might be the way to go. Anyone have any experience or recommendations? I feel like there's gotta be something more I can do than just sit and wait for people to discover my program

Thanks for all the help so far!
    Ok I don't normally chime in much on abw, but thought I would here.
    Nothing is more obnoxious than recruiters, at least to me. You're trying to market to marketers, and more often than not that's a recipe for failure.
    All a recruiter will do most likely is find affiliates competing in the field, pull their email address from their whois information, and email them. Which angers(understandably) a lot of people.

One thing I will say though is that while I understand you wanted to submit to let your inhouse enjoy their froogle/bizrate/whatever results, historically affs I know and myself strongly dislike strong inhouse teams. They have a habit of having ads *mysteriously* pop up next to our own. So I would tread pretty lightly in that arena.

The best(from my point of view) implementation I've seen of an in-house team is a strong mailing setup. It obviously creates conversions on it's own, but also it spikes search volume for the brand name and the product itself.
    If you've got a few affiliates trying it out and the search volume is huge due to the mail, they're likely to succeed and spread out elsewhere(content network, etc).

Other Misc. Tips that will Keep Affiliates Happy
    • If You have a phone number either don't take orders from it, or find some way to get the affiliate credit for it. No exceptions.
    • Give us a few landing pages to work with. Optimized to a specific product is much better than just generic "shopping cart" pages.
    • Let us Do Our Job - Restricting affs from bidding on your company name is acceptable. But as it starts to spread out into arbitrary keywords or not allowing our ads to outrank yours(which we can't control anyways) it just gets ridiculous.
    • Don't let your inhouse team see our data. Ever. I've seen massive campaigns pulled because of this.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the tips, Shady!

Yes, I plan to give our affiliates as many opportunities as possible with no limits on keywords, etc. I also have phone tracking implemented already, though we direct customers to order online except in special cases.

Good tip on the multiple landing pages. I know we have them but I'll make sure they're clear and available to the affiliates.

Regarding recruiters, I appreciate this feedback. The last thing I want to hear is that someone was turned off by a pesky recruiter. Had a journalist friend contact me to complain about a PR firm I used a while back and don't want to repeat that situation again. I can't imagine how many people that firm pissed off.

Affiliate Manager
    Just posted new program announcement here at abw!

OK to post a link to it here? I'll err on the side of caution... you can look it up by my username!

Nicholas

Affiliate Manager
    Hello,

I have been reading your thread. We are in a similar situation being a technology company looking to get B2B affiliates. Our product is also specific in what it does but can apply to anyone with a website. We have an inhouse program that has not worked well. We are exploring SaS as well as using an outsource consultant. Have you had any luck with any of the suggestions that were given to you as well as SaS? I highly doubt we compete against each other with our products and would love your feedback. I have not posted enough to be able to contact via email. I welcome your suggestions!

Ok I paid to post my new affiliate program here on ABestWeb and it is getting some views. I advertise my affiliate program on my web sites and in my broadcast emails. I plan on doing weekly press releases mentioning my affiliate program. I am considering buying my own forum on ABestWeb also but besides the above how do I get the word out about my Shareasale affiliate program to affiliates on other networks like CJ Commission Junction, Google Affiliate Network GAN, Linkshare and other affiliate networks without becoming a merchant on their networks? I have been search all over ABestWeb and the internet on this one question without much success. Since my program affiliate program is gaining speed and working for those who are signing up I need more affiliates. In my case more is better.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pinnaclemicro
    Ok I paid to post my new affiliate program here on ABestWeb and it is getting some views. I advertise my affiliate program on my web sites and in my broadcast emails. I plan on doing weekly press releases mentioning my affiliate program. I am considering buying my own forum on ABestWeb also but besides the above how do I get the word out about my Shareasale affiliate program to affiliates on other networks like CJ Commission Junction, Google Affiliate Network GAN, Linkshare and other affiliate networks without becoming a merchant on their networks? I have been search all over ABestWeb and the internet on this one question without much success. Since my program affiliate program is gaining speed and working for those who are signing up I need more affiliates. In my case more is better.
    Not just counting on the over 54k members here, there are many other affiliates from many other networks, that may not post around here, but that they regularly lurk on ABestWeb to find out what new out there...

So, if you have a good program, the affiliates on the other networks, will find you...

Hi David
    Definitely agree with Mr. Sal just cos people don't post here doesn't mean there aren't a whole lotta lurkers so most likely they're reading about your program if you're posting here.

Another point is if you have a good product and good affiliate program......affiliates will find you.

I agree that affiliates are finding me which is very good but I want to be proactive. I found some affililates directories that I submitted my program to after I did my first post. I searched on google under affiliate program directories. I am looking for specific tops like this that I can use to gain a lot of exposure.

Mr. Sal and the purple one have given great advice. If you run a good, clean, profitable program the affiliates will find you. It doesn't happen in a day, week or month. It's an ongoing process, there's an old saying that it takes a lifetime to build your reputation and a moment to lose it. This is very true in affiliate marketing.

You'll start out with a small program and work your way into a mid-size program. If you keep at it you'll keep growing and get the attention of larger, more successful affiliates each time the program grows to a new level. There are some of those affiliates you'll want to work with there are some you won't want to work with. Just as in most things in life you'll be frequently judged by the company you keep. Don't take shortcuts and don't let your affiliates take shortcuts.

Communicate, communicate, communicate with your current affiliates. Even if you don't get replies to your emails or phone calls. Keep the lines of communication open. If there is a problem, own it, deal with it and even if you don't have an immediate answer communicate that you are working on it.

Spend lots of time on the board to see what is happening in the industry, make yourself visible without being overt in self promotion. Learn not just from the successes of other program managers but from their mistakes and you'll do fine.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast