Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2006
    Posts
    118
    article marketing question
    Can you do article marketing using a Squidoo lens as your landing page? What are some good resourses to learn "bum marketing"?

  2. #2
    Full Member
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by nobugs
    Can you do article marketing using a Squidoo lens as your landing page? What are some good resourses to learn "bum marketing"?
    bum marketing?

  3. #3
    Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Location
    Cuautitlán, Edo. de México
    Posts
    1,725
    I think bum marketing is a nice way to say they're too cheap to pay for web hosting. ... oh and some article marketing on the side.

  4. #4
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    FYI -- "Bum Marketing" has nothing to do with web hosting. It's a widespread label given to article marketing, popularized by a guy named Travis Sago. He's been wildly successful in selling the concept. He got the name idea from something like: "This marketing method is so cheap to nearly free that you could take a 'bum' off the street and teaching to make money on the Internet."

    Good ideas, but mostly it demands DOZENS of keyword targeted articles submitted to places like EzineArticles and other article directories, with lots of keyword targeted links in your end-of-article bio.

    The biggest difficulty with "bum marketing" or any article marketing is that you really need to constantly saturate the directories with keyword targeted articles. Plus, you're never guaranteed that people will pickup your articles, use them, and leave your links on the bottom. Never mind that the article directories "require" it, tons of people rip off your articles and use them as their own.

    In reality, every time you put up a Squidoo lens, a Hub Page, or submit an article to one of the many directories or social bookmarking sites, you're doing "bum marketing."

    As to the specific question about using a Squidoo lens as a landing page, I really don't know. The few lenses I've done incorporate affiliate links, as well as keyword links back to specific pages on my websites. But exactly what the original question means, I'm not clear.

    As for the best resources for information about "bum marketing" -- do a Google search on the term, avoiding any sites or offers that are asking you to spend money. Because there are TONS of free resources you can find via Google regarding article marketing, "bum marketing," etc. It ain't exactly rocket science. But it is extremely labor intensive, unless you have money you want to spend hiring other people to write articles for you.
    Generate more fake news.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2006
    Posts
    118
    To clarify my question; I understand that many article sites do not allow you to post affiliate links, therefore, can I link to a Squidoo lens that has my affiliate links?

  6. #6
    Member niche's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2007
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I think bum marketing is a nice way to say they're too cheap to pay for web hosting. ... oh and some article marketing on the side.
    Hey?

    Why not use your own website for a landing page
    I have seen a few squidoo pages with affiliate lnks. I think squidoo is a revenue sharing site so you need to read the fine print
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

  7. #7
    Affiliate Manager ColleenD's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2007
    Location
    Maitland, FL.
    Posts
    40
    I believe that Squidoo does allow affiliate links; however it's really about providing relevant content and to keep updating your posts so that the information stays current. Squidoo provides status updates about when your content is "getting stale" or if it is still thought to be "fresh and new". Squidoo ranks posts for relevancy and content, as well as the various outbound links to other sites that also provide good content.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2009
    Posts
    31
    It's only labor intensive If done improperly.

    The best way to use bum marketing is build back links to your articles the same way you'd do it to your website.

    Once your articles have secured a top ranking position, you do not have to write articles anymore. Just check the rankings and keep adding back links.

















    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    FYI -- "Bum Marketing" has nothing to do with web hosting. It's a widespread label given to article marketing, popularized by a guy named Travis Sago. He's been wildly successful in selling the concept. He got the name idea from something like: "This marketing method is so cheap to nearly free that you could take a 'bum' off the street and teaching to make money on the Internet."

    Good ideas, but mostly it demands DOZENS of keyword targeted articles submitted to places like EzineArticles and other article directories, with lots of keyword targeted links in your end-of-article bio.

    The biggest difficulty with "bum marketing" or any article marketing is that you really need to constantly saturate the directories with keyword targeted articles. Plus, you're never guaranteed that people will pickup your articles, use them, and leave your links on the bottom. Never mind that the article directories "require" it, tons of people rip off your articles and use them as their own.

    In reality, every time you put up a Squidoo lens, a Hub Page, or submit an article to one of the many directories or social bookmarking sites, you're doing "bum marketing."

    As to the specific question about using a Squidoo lens as a landing page, I really don't know. The few lenses I've done incorporate affiliate links, as well as keyword links back to specific pages on my websites. But exactly what the original question means, I'm not clear.

    As for the best resources for information about "bum marketing" -- do a Google search on the term, avoiding any sites or offers that are asking you to spend money. Because there are TONS of free resources you can find via Google regarding article marketing, "bum marketing," etc. It ain't exactly rocket science. But it is extremely labor intensive, unless you have money you want to spend hiring other people to write articles for you.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2009
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by nobugs
    To clarify my question; I understand that many article sites do not allow you to post affiliate links, therefore, can I link to a Squidoo lens that has my affiliate links?


    Buy a .info domain name from Godaddy for .89cents and do a "forward".

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2009
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by niche
    Hey?

    Why not use your own website for a landing page
    I have seen a few squidoo pages with affiliate lnks. I think squidoo is a revenue sharing site so you need to read the fine print

    Becuase it's A LOT easier to rank with a Ezine artilce than it is for a web 2.0 property or new site domain name.

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2009
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by nobugs
    Can you do article marketing using a Squidoo lens as your landing page? What are some good resourses to learn "bum marketing"?

    I'd just use articles instead of web 2.0 properties, they are easier to rank for.

    Bum marketing is a very good way to make a dollar.

    Treat it as if you're creating a website. Backlinks,SEO, etc.....

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2009
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I think bum marketing is a nice way to say they're too cheap to pay for web hosting. ... oh and some article marketing on the side.

    No, not really. It's a good way to learn internet marketing and also TEST a product to see if it converts without wasting a single dime.

    With bum marketing, no one pays for their mistakes. One makes mistakes, and learns, until they are ready to move up to the next level!

    Imagine spending money on hosting, site building "kits", domain names and you realize you're doing it all wrong.

    Don't you think that makes more sense than spending money while trying to learn?



    Bum marketing works very well, if done properly.


    Ron
    Last edited by Ron.; September 18th, 2009 at 08:57 PM.

  13. #13
    Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Location
    Cuautitlán, Edo. de México
    Posts
    1,725
    The replies seem to confirm instead of go against my impression.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron.
    No, not really. It's a good way to learn internet marketing and also TEST a product to see if it converts without wasting a single dime.

    With bum marketing, no one pays for their mistakes. One makes mistakes, and learns, until they are ready to move up to the next level!

    Imagine spending money on hosting, site building "kits", domain names and you realize you're doing it all wrong.

    Don't you think that makes more sense than spending money while trying to learn?



    Bum marketing works very well, if done properly.


    Ron

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2009
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    The replies seem to confirm instead of go against my impression.

    Ok, that's fine.......everyone has their way of doing things. Ask 50 IMers how to get started you'll get 55 answers. No one way is correct, thank god for that.



    Best wishes


    Ron

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Posts
    1,537
    The articles have to be hosted somewhere. Where they are hosted is your choice.
    Giving away your articles is just one way to get some traffic and you can make a buck or two. It's better to host them on your own domain or blog. That way you have total control. Getting back links is not difficult. Simply post ads for your article on Craigslist
    and other free classified sites. Use Squidoo but don't put the article on Squidoo, put an extended ad why people should go to where you have the ad to read it. Use YouTube, make a 30 second 'commercial' about why people should go read your article.

    It is not all that difficult to get 500 people a day to view your article. It takes some time and effort to seed the traffic though. If the article is really good, you should see some viral type traffic and Google will give you some love.

    The key question is can you monetize your articles. On your own domain, you can have Adsense, affiliate links, CPM banners - whatever you want. How much you make depends on the quality of the content, traffic and stickiness of your topic.

    It all takes some time and effort to get it set up though. And like they used to say in the late 1960's: "Gas, Grass or Ass. No One Rides For FREE."

  16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Article marketing question
    By andyparks16 in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 9th, 2010, 01:19 AM
  2. Question about article marketing
    By Tjlovelady in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: October 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2008, 10:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •