Sick soldiers wait for treatment

FORT KNOX, Ky., Oct. 29 (UPI) -- More than 400 sick and injured soldiers, including some who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom, are stuck at Fort Knox, waiting weeks and sometimes months for medical treatment, a score of soldiers said in interviews.

The delays appear to have demolished morale -- many said they had lost faith in the Army and would not serve again -- and could jeopardize some soldiers' health, the soldiers said.

The Army Reserve and National Guard soldiers are in what the Army calls "medical hold," like roughly 600 soldiers under similar circumstances waiting for doctors at Fort Stewart, Ga.

The apparent lack of care at both locations raises the specter that Reserve and Guard soldiers, including many who returned from Iraq, could be languishing at locations across the country, according to Senate investigators.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

No problem giving Iraq a 20 billion dollar grant to rebuild though.

<font color=blue size="1">"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."</font>

Yes, I understand what you mean. But, it is really two different issues.

No matter how we feel about Bush or the war, it is incumbent on us all to bring whatever pressure is needed to ensure that our soldiers are provided the best medical care we as a nation can provide them. At least, Congress is investigating.

Thank all the powers that be for a free press. Let's be sure we keep it free.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Did you know that more american soldiers have now died in iraq since the end of the war than during the actual conflict?

Sandra, I couldn't agree with you more. My point was if we can give billions to other countries the way we do.....there is no reason why the issue you posted above should even be an issue.

This country needs a wake up call if you ask me.

But I won't talk politics here...too much love in the air right now. lol

<font color=blue size="1">"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."</font>

I thought the current events forum was locked?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Midnight Café
    Just finished another 3am coding session? Grab a coffee and meet fellow webmasters here to discuss issues and news. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I don't want to get into a heavy political discussion, either. I just feel this business about the soldiers is well worth letting people know about.

My real feeling is that there is a significant problem in that we are not educating doctors adequate to our needs as a country. Have you noticed how many of our doctors are imports from other countries? No amount of money taken from other places in the budget will provide enough doctors when there aren't enough to be provided.

I am sure the AMA has their fingers in that pie.

We need to start PAYING students to study medicine if that is what it takes. We have a serious shortage of doctors. Even if the uninsured sudenly had the where with all to pay for their care, who would provide the needed services?

And, something MUST be done about the cost of malpractice insurance! That is the main reason more aren't going into the field, from what I can tell.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread