Outsourced Program Manager Ashish Selarka's Avatar
    Can they do this? Hostgator - Very upsetting.
    I want to know if anyone have had this problem before.

We had our share of problems with our old hosting company, when the site was down for # of minutes before. And after looking at other hosting companies & with the Poll that Geno had put on Abestweb. So, we decided to give Hostgator a try, and transferred all our files to them. Luckily we didnt cancel our old account, and wanted to test out Hostgator.

Well, It didnt take long. I got an email this morning at 9 am. Stating the following:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "This message is to advise you of a temporary block placed on your account.
    The account referenced above was found to be consuming an inordinate amount of system resources, to the point of degrading overall system performance."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I know that in the past if something like this happened with our old hosting company, they would send us a courtesy email and tell us to fix the issue or check in to it & give us a day or two. (Not that we have ever had this issue before, nor have we ever received an email from our old hosting company).

Hostgator, just shut down the Site & took it off line. Needless to say, we were very upset.

Luckily we had backed our data & transferred to our old hosting company.

I am still fuming at the fact that they didnt give us notice before shutting down.

Any thoughts on this.

We are really looking at getting our own "DEDICATED SERVER" but don't really know which companies are good.

We were looking at Hostgator, but after paying for the 1st month, and when we were just about to transfer, they tell us that we will need to BUY a license for Chilisoft & they will charge us $150 to install.

We definitely need "Chilisoft ASP & PHP"

Any help, Recommendations from you experts out there would be great.

It would also help, if you have a dedicated server somewhere that you are happy with , who has ASP & PHP.
    [B]Ashish Selarka[/B]
    Outsourced Program Manager (OPM)
    [COLOR="Red"][B]Programs Managed[/B][/COLOR]: Coming Soon.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Wow ... scary!

Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Geeze, I've never had a problem with them. But I've only got about 40 sites (or so) on each of two VPS units. Hard to believe they cut you off pronto for running your one site on a dedicated (if I'm reading that correctly - surely you didn't try it on a shared setup) server.

Chilisoft for ASP and PHP? Maybe you should look for Windows hosting so you don't have to run special software to have ASP functionality.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    If it is shared plan, yes they can pull the plug on your site if it exceeds certain limits on resources putting all other sites at RISK. That is why HOST GATOR shared hosting is better and consistently more reliable than others.

For Dedicated and VPS hosts, you will have all the CPU and server resources to yourself uninterrupted

Does your ASP/PHP program(s) cause any problems (resource hogging ...) on your old host? If not - can you see any differences?

One thing I've noticed on Hostgator is that it does seem to run somewhat dated software (Apache 1.3 comes to mind)

I have a bunch of sites at HostGator. I use a reseller server and I've never had a site down or any problems at all at HG.

I run php scripts on all of the sites.

They have Windows Servers with ASP and PHP. http://www.hostgator.com/windows-ded...-servers.shtml

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by Brandlet
    "This message is to advise you of a temporary block placed on your account.
    The account referenced above was found to be consuming an inordinate amount of system resources, to the point of degrading overall system performance."
    Sorry Brandlet I fully support Hostgator on this one. If your site is effecting other sites hosted on the same server they have to shut you down. Why should other sites be effected by your scripts/codes?? I have infact demanded my host shutdown sites that where effecting my sites (and the have).

As far as Chilisoft ASP & PHP goes I have never found Chilisoft ASP work as good as the real thing. Chilisoft ASP has caused me problems in the past.

Good Luck..
    Last edited by kse; September 27th, 2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Spelling what else is new.......

I think, at some point, many sites outgrow shared hosting. While php/asp are enabled in a shared environment, more advanced applications could run into trouble. Plus shared rarely gives you SSH access, which is used to run php scripts that can hang in a browser environment.

It sounds like you're a perfect candidate for VPS, or even dedicated server.

My old sites were with Lunarpages, and they will disable scripts without warning as well (not nice, I know, but they're protecting hundreds of other sites that share the server space).

Hi Brandlet,

If a single site is crashing the server we usually have to act fast in order to get everyone online ASAP. It usually comes down to us having to make a choice of upsetting one webmaster or a 100 with downtime.

I'll be happy to review why this happened with you if you can provide the ticket number. thanks!

Hello HostGator.

You should be a regular poster here. There is a lot of business here.

I host with you and have no complains at all with you.

I'm very happy with your service.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Yes I am waiting for HostGater to start their Windows Hosting package. HostGater do you have any timeframe when this will be available??

Hostgator.

Thank you for coming on & answering this issue. I completely understand that you have to act fast & not have over 100's of web-masters be upset. I just wished that we were given a warning. I can't understand how we could have been using so much resources, when we don't even have huge amount of traffic.

It would be great if you can look in to this for us: Our ticket # is: NAT-2982969

Thank you again.

PS: I agree with BurgerBoy about you being here more, there is definitely a lot of business here. Because of this Forum, we were able to pick your company.
    [B]Ashish Selarka[/B]

Hostgator is one of the worst hosting services you can use. Make sure you get off their hosting as soon as possible and never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Sorry Brandlet I fully support Hostgator on this one. If your site is effecting other sites hosted on the same server they have to shut you down. Why should other sites be effected by your scripts/codes?? I have infact demanded my host shutdown sites that where effecting my sites (and the have).

As far as Chilisoft ASP & PHP goes I have never found Chilisoft ASP work as good as the real thing. Chilisoft ASP has caused me problems in the past.

Good Luck..
    I completely agree that it shouldn't affect anyone else. I just wished that they would have given us some warning.
    [B]Ashish Selarka[/B]

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread