Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just Lurking
    Ok here where I am. Been going around looking for places to get link backs to my site. Directories and such. I ran across http://www.Rootblog.com/ which seems to be a directory of RSS feeds. I'm thinking hmmm... content from my own site linking back to me ... this could be googleous. I'm looking at one entry right now 5/10 with lots of links back to that entries' site.

Anyway the question is should I implement an RSS feed? Is it worth it? Any ideas?

------------------------------
    "Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." - Gertrude Stein, American author (1874-1946).

I'm using RSS feeds to make a forum look busier than it is. I never thought about creating an RSS feed for others to use though.
    That's a real good idea.

Do you know of any tutorials on hot to create RSS feeds ?

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

Just Lurking
    yep

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss http://www.xmlrpc.com/weblogsCom

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." - Gertrude Stein, American author (1874-1946).

We did have a BLOG Beta test opportunity here on the ABW .. not 1 person responded and they would have received free BLOG software on final product build.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Just Lurking
    "We did have a BLOG Beta test opportunity here on the ABW .. not 1 person responded and they would have received free BLOG software on final product build."

Hmm.. no one took you up on a free offer? Dang. I choose to add a blog to my site because of the fact some of them get really good pagerank and seem to keep it too. Easy maintenance, just rant once in a while. I sometime think people around here are putting way too many eggs in one basket. But, I'm just a newb what do I know.

I agree Buddah .... RSS is taking off because of it's multiple benefits to it's users.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Just Lurking
    I'll bumbing this up this morning because I can't believe no one is taking advantage of this PageRank gold mine? Even if you don't have a blog . . .

Counted the unque links on that RootBlog directory entry page there were twenty. So put up a 20 item feed and your spliting the page rank even on a PR 1/10 this is better than some of the link exchange I've seen around here.

Any more thoughts on RSS?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DesignerWiz.com Team:
    We did have a BLOG Beta test opportunity here on the ABW .. not 1 person responded and they would have received free BLOG software on final product build.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Missed seeing it! ^*&^%$!!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

I use RSS in one of our forums. (vBulletin 3)

People (forum members mainly) can get a box with the latest threads from all forums, or from their favorite subforum, right on their homepage.

I even have a Javascript cut-and-paste solution for those that don't have a Content Management System that can read RSS (the majority don't have this - most homepages are quite simple). This doesn't boost pagerank, as Google doesn't read Javascript, but it brings traffic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I choose to add a blog to my site because of the fact some of them get really good pagerank and seem to keep it too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't get any pagerank benefits from the blog unless people link tou tour site, correct ?

<hr>

We're offering multiple RSS headline/summary feeds from our site. Implementation in early stages, but we did break a traffic record last month.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

Buddha -
    I went to those links you posted. I guess I am totally missing this concept. (In typical fashion I probably am making this a lot harder than it is).

Let's say I wanted to create an RSS feed for "born on this day".

Do I need to have a blog installed on my site or can I just have a php page that goes against mySQL to get the data for the day ?

Also there was some concern about Google treating blogs the same as link farms. Is there any danger of that ?

<hr>

I forgot to mention that under Fantastico I have php-nuke, post-nuke etc. available. I also have the b2 blogger available.

<hr>

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpeed:
    You don't get any pagerank benefits from the blog unless people link tou tour site, correct ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You should always try to get people to link to your site. You shouldn't count on it, you should be pro-active and get you URL on as many pages as possible. There are a lot of entry-it-yourself places you can do this. I usually display my wesite in my signature, but on forums I notice some of the people I respect most here don't do that so niether do I.

www.rootblog.com is one of those do-it-yourself places, but they display your RSS feed. So here you have a page you can fill with relative c*ntent that is directly linked back to your site. That's a Google bounse play ain't it? Linkback from a page with relative c*ntent?

(need more tea just can't wake up today)

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I went to those links you posted. I guess I am totally missing this concept. (In typical fashion I probably am making this a lot harder than it is).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far I can tell, the only think you absolutely need to provide a RSS feed is a page like this:
    <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?&gt;
    - &lt;rss version="0.91"&gt;
    - &lt;channel&gt;
    &lt;title&gt;TITLE_OF_YOUR_SITE&lt;/title&gt;
    &lt;link&gt;http://YOUR_SITE.com/&lt;/link&gt;
    &lt;description&gt;DESCRIBE_YOUR_SITE_HERE&lt;/description&gt;
    &lt;language&gt;en-us&lt;/language&gt;
    &lt;copyright&gt;Copyright 2000, AUTHOR_NAME_HERE&lt;/copyright&gt;
    &lt;managingEditor&gt;editor@YOUR_SITE.com&lt;/managingEditor&gt;
    &lt;webMaster&gt;webmaster@YOUR_SITE.com&lt;/webMaster&gt;
    - &lt;image&gt;
    &lt;title&gt;IMAGE_TITLE_HERE&lt;/title&gt;
    &lt;url&gt;http://YOUR_SITE.com/images/YOUR_SITE.gif&lt;/url&gt;
    &lt;link&gt;http://writetheweb.com/LINK_ASSOCIAT...l&lt;/link&gt;
    &lt;width&gt;88&lt;/width&gt;
    &lt;height&gt;31&lt;/height&gt;
    &lt;description&gt;DESCRIBE_IMAGE&lt;/description&gt;
    &lt;/image&gt;
    - &lt;item&gt;
    &lt;title&gt;TITLE_OF_NEWS_ITEM_ONE&lt;/title&gt;
    &lt;link&gt;http://YOUR_SITE.com/read.php?item=24&lt;/link&gt;
    &lt;description&gt;DESCRIPTION_OF_NEWS_ITEM_ONE&lt;/description&gt;
    &lt;/item&gt;
    - &lt;item&gt;
    &lt;title&gt;TITLE_OF_NEWS_ITEM_TWO&lt;/title&gt;
    &lt;link&gt;http://YOUR_SITE.com/read.php?item=25&lt;/link&gt;
    &lt;description&gt;DESCRIPTION_OF_NEWS_ITEM_TWO&lt;/description&gt;
    &lt;/item&gt;
    &lt;/channel&gt;
    &lt;/rss&gt;</pre>

It's just XML really no different than HTML, just fill in these UPPERCASE_THINGYS with your info. drop the file on your website, name it rss.xml. That should be it. your providing an RSS feed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Let's say I wanted to create an RSS feed for "born on this day".

Do I need to have a blog installed on my site or can I just have a php page that goes against mySQL to get the data for the day ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need for a blog. Yes that would work great, php and mysql would be perfect. Even people using WebMerge should be able to use RSS. It' just a weird HTML file or atleast think of it that way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also there was some concern about Google treating blogs the same as link farms. Is there any danger of that ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This question is beyond this newb's knowledge base. But is one of the reasons started the topic.

I have a content site and I've looked at RSS. My question is, what is MY benefit in including a RSS feed on my content site of someone elses?

I'd be showing Headlines and links to someone else's site and provides them with PR from my site to theirs. You need to remember that all the feed contains is the Title and blurb and maybe some images, but the content still resides on the originators web site.

So for my content site, I did get some free headlines, but when the visitor views the content they are taken off my site to where the content resides and to be shown ads by that site, not mine.

They win, I lose.

RSS has it's applications, I'm not saying it doesn't. But I would consider how is it benefiting you before you go to the trouble of implementing it. And if you are providing a feed, why and what kind of sites would be including your fee.

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SJohnson:
    I have a content site and I've looked at RSS. My question is, what is MY benefit in including a RSS feed on my content site of someone elses?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not suggest the use of other peoples RSS feeds. I agree it doesn't make sense to be putting someone else's headline's on your c*ntent site.

What got me go on this subject was the discovery of a site like www.RootBlog.com that provides a directory of websites and displays their RSS feed. Which is just what you would want right? Another website displaying your headlines with links back to you. Does that sound like a good thing?

(Too much Food Channel, I'm starting to sound like Martha Steward.)

"Another website displaying your headlines with links back to you. Does that sound like a good thing?"

Yes of course, but what is their motivation to put up your feed?

It's the same as a link exchange but from a different angle. It sounds so simple and easy, except why would they want to take your feed and provide you with the benefits of incoming links and traffic?

www.ClickMagazine.Net

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yes of course, but what is their motivation to put up your feed?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Free related content that their surfers might enjoy.

<hr>

What's the benefit to the other site?

In our situation, there are a lot of sites that will use our feeds to give their site dynamic content. They don't update their sites every day (or every week, for that matter), but with our RSS feeds, their users will always see something new. Works for us.

Karl Smith
    ---------

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SJohnson:
    It sounds so simple and easy, except why would they want to take your feed and provide you with the benefits of incoming links and traffic?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well that's pretty obvious just like every directory or search engine they've got ad's - four google adsense on the site entry page at RootBlog.

"Free related content that their surfers might enjoy."

That's the only reason, to provide content. Is it a good enough reason? Think about it for a bit. Other than providing content, what's the benefit?

The content is NOT on your site so you get no search engine hits on the content. The visitor leaves your site and views the content on another site giving them, not you, the opportunity to make money off of ads etc.

So, by giving your visitors more content, you are providing them a way to LEAVE your site with almost Zero opportunity to make money off of them.

Is that really what you want to do? This is another case of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". Unless you site is strictly to entertain and making money is not at all what you intend to do, then RSS feeds are good for you.

www.ClickMagazine.Net

"Well that's pretty obvious just like every directory or search engine they've got ad's "

You're not getting my point. Once they click on the Content Link they have left your site, so they are not going to see your ads.

If I had PhillyBurb's feed, his site would be showing my visitor his ads because the visitor LEFT MY SITE!

www.ClickMagazine.Net

Just Lurking
    "Well that's pretty obvious just like every directory or search engine they've got ad's "

You're not getting my point. Once they click on the Content Link they have left your site, so they are not going to see your ads.

If I had PhillyBurb's feed, his site would be showing my visitor his ads because the visitor LEFT MY SITE!

http://www.ClickMagazine.Net<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Once again, I'm not suggest you use PhillyBurgs's RSS feed (or anyone elses). I'm suggesting you take your own RSS feed and submit it to a site like www.rootblog.com that provides a directory of RSS feed. Sort of like yahoo another directory service except www.rootblog.com specializing in RSS feeds. www.rootblog,com does NOT require you to linkback (or reciprocate) to them in anyway (as far as I can see). So what's the problem?

SJohnson:

In our case, sites that implement our feeds have our pages set to open in new windows. That way they don't lose their visitor.

Karl Smith
    ---------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast