hostchecker - Cookie Stuffing ABW Posts
    I just read a couple posts by a newbie named hostchecker who owns a site by the same name[.info]. My browsers are set to ask before accepting any cookies. When I opened the first post I was presented with three dialog boxes asking to accept or reject cookies for hostgator, hostrocket, and nexcess. Hmm, what's this about? Sometimes banners set cookies but there were none for those companies. A little more detective work exposed some images attached to hostchecker's post that were transparent to the browser. He also authored a second post with hostmonster, amazon, and thinkhost. I promptly reported the posts and trust deleted them. I then checked new cookies on my computer and found all of them. Guess what[?], affiliate cookies! The jpegs he attached were addressed to his website but they must have been redirected in order to set the associated cookies.

How do we report this guy to his merchants?

And hostchecker, you may be sorry you tried to pull this on us!
    Last edited by Ed Byerly; October 12th, 2008 at 01:27 AM.

How does an image file cause a cookie to be loaded?

Good question. Here's one of the links which looks inocent. It will take you directly to Amazon and set a cookie...
    Code:
    http://www.hostchecker.info/image1.jpg
    The rest of the links are image2 through 6.

ABW Ambassador
    it must be a server redirect. You visit the site to see the image, and you are redirected

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    it must be a server redirect. You visit the site to see the image, and you are redirected
    That's what I figure...

A quick search shows that he's posting these all over the place. What a sham!

X

OMG!!!! It's one thing to pull something like this on a forum about gardening or whatever.... but to try and pull a stunt like this where he's bound to be caught and reported is beyond extreme stupidity.... LOL

Yes.... the merchants definitely need to know.... they deserve a refund of any money they've paid this guy/gal and he/she needs to be cut from the vine immediately..... maybe start by reporting them to CJ, SAS or wherever each company has their affiliate program....

Oh.... and good work Boomers....

I didn't see the posts.... do you think it could have been an automated program making random forum posts across the net.... otherwise, it was crazy of him/her to post here....

Quote Originally Posted by kayecee
    Oh.... and good work Boomers....

I didn't see the posts.... do you think it could have been an automated program making random forum posts across the net.... otherwise, it was crazy of him/her to post here....
    Perhaps, but it appears they're being manually entered. The postings contain somewhat relevant comments and the attachments are distributed differently in different places.
    Last edited by Ed Byerly; October 12th, 2008 at 01:28 AM.

No Longer Banned!
    Nuther uns Gone, Nuther Un Bites The Dust.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Perhaps, but it appears they're being manually entered. The postings contain somewhat relevant comments and the attachments are distributed differently in different places.
    Way To Go Ed !!!!

CooooooDozzz !!

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Elementary my dear Williams....
    Last edited by Ed Byerly; October 12th, 2008 at 01:28 AM.

Nice snag, Boomers. Tonight must be the night for fun...I found someone spamming Craigslist with their SAS account. Although, you definitely caught the worst of the two offenders.

-sfcom

Craigslist? That is amazing. As for whoever is doing that on this forum my guess is that person is doing it as a slap in the face to the forum. They couldn't really think that nobody would catch on and they can't make a ton of money doing this as they'll be cut off shortly if they haven't been already. No, it is just one of those nasty little thumb your nose in the face of authority people. People who think there should be no rules or at least that rules are for other people not for them.

sfcom wrote: > "I found someone spamming Craigslist with their SAS account" <

Terri replied: > "Craigslist? That is amazing." <

I don't think it's amazing at all. There are many web sites and ebooks that strongly encourage newbies to spam Craigslist with affiliate links. Sometimes, these posts even survive, if they are posted on the lower-traffic Craigslist sites outside the "major markets" (SF, LA, NY, etc.), but of course they never drive any legitimate transactions, and the practice is clearly prohibited both by Craigslist and by each of the major affiliate networks.

There have been many discussion threads on various online forums (including here on ABW) in which unethical people assert that posting affiliate links and other spam to Craigslist is OK. Of course, on ABW and other legitimate forums, these posts are quickly discredited -- but I expect that versions of these dishonest posts survive on many unmoderated forums. Unfortunately, if a lie is repeated often enough, some people will believe it, no matter how unfounded it is, and no matter how easily and convincingly it can be disproven.

There is a constant flow of newbies who naievely believe that it's OK to spam Craigslist, along with a larger flow of people who falsely claim that they believe that it's OK to spam Craigslist. I doubt there will ever be a day when Craigslist doesn't receive hundreds of affiliate-link-spam posts (although the vast majority are "flagged" and deleted within minutes on busy forums).

That was "amazing" in the sense of being outrageously unethical. It never ceases to amaze me that people would choose to do that sort of thing instead of putting their energy into honest promotions that indeed are also far more likely to reap rewards.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread