Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I thought I'd start this thread so that affiliates can if they like on an ongoing basis list whose merchants they are pulling from their sites.

We're starting to clean up merchants who have been non converters for us. I am well past trying to contact merchants saying I've pulled them and I'm sure many others are like me. I invite you to join me in cleaning up your sites and hopefully we can use this as a way to not only send messages to merchants but also give red flags to affiliates in general whee some have issues regarding very low conversion rates.

Here ya go,

Bye Bye tonight to:

*) Bed Bath and Beyond
    *) Linnesource
    *) Domestications - I know they are having link trouble but I'm not waiting for an answer any more or continue to send them business when there conversions have steadily fallen as they've gone batch.
    *) Sierra Trading Post
    *) Woolrich
    *) Linen and things
    *) Dr Jays
    *) Some of Nordstrom - will track down a few others left hanging around.
    *) Pulled a very large section for Blue Nile, Diamond.com and even Mondera - other sections form these same merchants are open for future pulling as well.

===================================
    Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

Its funny.. i just put up a ton of pages for diamond.com, mondera, and sierra trading post.

Bed Bath and Beyond

Do they even have an affiliate program??

ABW Ambassador
    Good luck witness!

terrymc - Ooops you're right it was Bath and Body who is in CJ. Easy to get those confused. Sorry for the mistake and thanks for setting me straight. I imagine there will be others to set me straight as well

Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Other than the Ink Cartel, nobody gets pulled from here until after Christmas. Even duds tend to come to life for December and I see no reason to miss that spark of activity. Therefore, I decide which ones to yank in January.

But it looks like this is the last year for GiftTree. 11 months out of the year, that place couldn't convert if they sold water in the Sahara, and even in December they only sell a couple of things through my links!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    I am selling with GiftTree, although the conversion ratio is small.

ABW Ambassador
    I understand leader, I was second guessing pulling some myself due to that but if they aren't converting "and haven't been" my strategy is to not give them holiday traffic or having them taking sales away from merchants who do convert when it really counts.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Probably a smart strategy Poon as we definitely cannot just cross our fingures and hope some of these dud merchants turn on their shopping cart reporting tags during the peak period. More likely senerio is the greed mongers turn them off at peak times and the ppmerchants just throw more incents to the BHO's and couponers.

Last year was miserable as the BHO's had their ID# swapping and re-directs in full swing and major brand merchants jumped form 1/300 conversion ratios to 1/900. Two couponers brow beat me back into pushing Sierra Trading Post with their honest 1/25 conversion ratio spin so I'll see if they are able to convert with their bargains. No activity in November then I'll whack them. Wake up time for the networks as all affiliates will follow Leader's plan January 1st. Wack all non-converters in mass till they fire their AM's and change their ways.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Why pull Blue Nile, Diamond and some Modera? Christmas is the time for jewelry sales. I have something like 30,000 jewelry pages on my sites, and most of them aren't doing anything. However, I won't pull them until after the Christmas buying season.
    It doesn't make sense to pull them now

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    Yo cj - I'm pulling probably more than 30K pages and you are welcome to all the sales I wasn't getting . Frankly I can't compete there effectivley in the sites current form. Pulling these pages will spread my PR better among other areas that can and do compete.

How many other people have loaded up their sites with 30,000, 50,000, 100,000 pages and seen it lower pr from areas that "used to produce". Believe me I'm smart to be pulling them NOW but you can question it if you like.

I see the forest but all those "dead trees" are in my way if ya know what I mean .

I do deweed throughout the year, so massive link-pulling is not on my agenda unless the merchants drop dead.

Usually I create an entire page for a merchant. If they don't convert, I just add their competitor(s) on the same page. Sometimes 2 non-converting merchants on the same page will make one convert.

GiftTree is converting at 1:55 this year vs 1:75 last year. But I must add that only 1 page converts out the 3 created.

Domestications link issue has been resolved. They're still converting like a charm though not as good as it used to be.

Hey Poon,

Interesting note. I don't have a 30K webstie so never really thought about the PR spreading issue. Does it really work that way? Cool.

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com/affiliate.html
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

ABW Ambassador
    I just went through the ad mgmt. for several sites and pulled most w/ 1-800 #'s on the front page who refuse to accomodate affiliates (i.e. Streetbeat). I don't want to risk losing out on commissions to those jerks this holiday season.

Zimpy.com - Make a statement!

Die Parasites Die!!

ABW Ambassador
    "P" I'd thank you for dropping Dr. Jays and leaving the customers for me, but it might not make much of a difference to me anyway; I've never come across your site while checking terms related to the stuff they sell. Maybe that's why you don't get any Dr. Jay's sales.

It's ridiculous how many complainants here always have to blame the merchants or some imaginary parasite or bizarre weather condition. If all the whiners here would take the simple approach of re-evaluating what THEY are doing, and trying different SEO and presentation strategies, all would benefit from the honest effort.

------------------------------
    "It's nice to be on the banned book list...or banned from anything...it means people fear you" ~ Fred Conquest

ABW Ambassador
    Beef - I almost put a disclaimer in my post because I was fairly sure that one like your's would show up.

Here ya go.....

The merchants I'm pulling may or may not have anything to do with if their program may convert for you or NOT. IE: I pulled Mondera links and Chris is a stand up guy who tries pretty hard to run a parasite free program. I have no complaints with him but at all but frankly, the other pp merchants convert better for me that his program did and that "aint saying much".

I will not justify "every reason" I pull a merchant but I've already said I could not compete well in a specific area where multiple merchants were pulled. You can take that for what it's worth and will have to draw you own conclusions for why I'm pulling a merchant which could be one of many reasons such as :
    *) I can't sell crap and don't know my rear end from my head.
    *) Purchases on big ticket jewelry items is not prime time on the web with most internet shoppers.
    *) They were or weren't associated with parasites.
    *) They either don't convert at all or don't convert at a rate where it's not worth the time I spend in updating information my time convert.
    *) They may or may not have limitations in their programs that prevent updating be an automatic process.
    *) It may be that the people who are purchasing a particular product such as parents with young teens are very likely to be largely infected with parasites that contributes to low conversions as well.
    ..... Shall I keep going?

Frankly, I'm reluctant to post any information regarding who I'm promoting or pulling because it gives others insight into my own strategies "be it right or wrong".

I posted the information I did only in an effort to provide others with information "although minimal" they may or may not want to consider.

I really don't like spinning my wheels with merchants or product groups that "in general" don't convert well. The networks have a stacked deck against us and most have refused to update their programs to provide epc like figures and I constantly see questions running around like - does this merchant convert? or is this merchant any good?

Frankly I get tired of these posts and would prefer a dedicated section for this kind of info..... this is a half assed attempt at that. I don't want newbies or myself wasting time promoting dog merchants because as long as we do the cycle of networks and merchants manipulating affilates and flying under the radar gaining promotion continues.

As such, this thread was started with good intentions. Like anything else, view the information supplied with skeptisism and draw your own conclusions.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't want newbies or myself wasting time promoting dog merchants <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that's half my impetus in the first place. I don't want to see newbies waste their time and miss out on opportunities to promote merchants who were portrayed as dogs here but may very well top performers for them. So many newbies are given certain impressions here and wind up steering clear of merchants that may well put the bread on their table if they weren't afraid to try them.

There is one merchant in particular that I myself was terribly reluctant to use in my early days because of all the b*tching about certain factors that are actually outside of the realm of any merchant's control. I tried them anyway because my curiosity overrode my apprehension, and it's been "laugh all the way to the bank" ever since.

I would urge all newbies to try all merchants for any products that they are interested in or familiar with, and find which merchants pull for them and which ones don't.

------------------------------
    "It's nice to be on the banned book list...or banned from anything...it means people fear you" ~ Fred Conquest

Poon,
    5 of those merchants you have listed are some of my top merchants!
    Nordstrom rocks for me.
    I do very well with Linens n' Things, Domestications, Sierra Trading Post...
    I also do ok with Woolrich Depending on the season.

What works for one site may not work for another.

I never go by what someone else's opinion on a store is. I always test them out for myself.

There are many stores you guys all mention you do well for that I can't get a sale at.

I had taken down Mondera, but put them back up for the holidays. Some stores I only see sales for depending on the season.

I have actually been pulling some of the lesser known stores from my site. My visitors seem to want the brandname better known stores.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Well, as they say , it's all a matter of opinion, and one man's junk is another man's gold....

<font color=blue size="1">"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."</font>

ABW Ambassador
    @Connie - My site is not coupon based which I'll venture to say contributes to my lower conversions on these merchants . Regarding Nordstrom..... I never promoted them seriously due to their cookie durations which if I recall is either a session cookie or 1 day.

I sure don't expect us to ever reach agreement on this and feedback that helps blow through BS is always positvie.

My model and attitude is very different than Connies "I'm not faulting her or complaining" it's just different. I've heard her say over and over that she promotes pp merchants because she wants to provide what her customers want and the competitive nature to keep her customers at her site. Maybe I'm the fool here but I don't make that distinction. I will not promote a merchant who I feel in a large part has unfair terms and by and large takes advantage of affiliates not even for my own customers!

I'd like to think we could all react to these issues enough to force a change in the industry but it's pretty clear that aint gonna happen.

I obviously have many pp merchants left that are still getting promotion from when I first started but the only reason for me they are still there is that they are converting.

I'm less willing to promote pp merchants now under just about any condition and am cleaning up merchants "pp merchant or not" that I don't have success with. There are many more sites that dont specifically cater to a coupon driven site vs the ones that do and as other discussions around here indicate with even Connie saying herself "there is a lot of junk out there".

I don't plan on becoming part of the junk as there are enough non pp merchants with fair terms IMO to keep me busy building sites for targeted product related marketing. For now, those trick for click coupon sites may eat a good bit of my lunch money just as parasites do but I firmly believe that will end at some point.

ABW Ambassador
    "For now, those trick for click coupon sites may eat a good bit of my lunch money just as parasites do but I firmly believe that will end at some point."

Are you meaning all coupon sites?

ABW Ambassador
    @Truust - I have never said that all coupon sites are "trick for click" and my statement specifically referenced "trick for click" sites. I think my statements were pretty clear.

ABW Ambassador
    Good Some affiliates think all coupon sites are tricks for clicks.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

The difference in business model between you and I Poon is that I have only one site. A site kept alive by loyal, repeat visitors.

I don't put up page after page, day after day, just focusing on catching people from the search engines. One site, soon to be 2.

Instead of putting up tons of pages in a week, I have spent the last 7-8 months working on just one new site. There is something to be said for quality and not quantity. Makes it easier to change links when merchants come and go too.

I built and run my site with my visitor in mind. I don't build 1000's of pages with just the search engines in mind.

My visitors want certain stores, coupons or not.
    It is easier to come to my site and see which stores have sales going on without having to visit 20 different merchants. They can come to my site and quickly see what is on sale at Kohls, Target or Nordstrom.

My visitors are not specific product driven. They aren't sure what they are looking for, they just want to find a good sale.

Kind of like me, I love to go to thrift stores. I never have anything specific in mind that I want, but always end up with several bags full of stuff.

If I pull a bunch of namebrand stores off my site, my visitors will go elsewhere. Someone else will tell them what is on sale at Nordstrom or Kohls.

Plus, I have found from past experience, that when you make a lot of sales for merchants, they are happy to listen when you make suggestions on change.

And I sure would like to know who all those merchants are that supposedly cater to coupon driven sites. Sure would save me and my husband from working 18+ hours a day hunting them down and verifying them all. No vacations here!

I personally find that those who don't use the coupons that merchants make available to be lazy. Use what you are given to make sales! But you find it easier to just put up links or banners and forget about it and just move on to the new pages. Page after page, day after day...over and over again. Heck, some of you can't even remember what all your sites are!
    Now that is quality!

And my coupon site is not taking anything away from you at all. My visitors would never come to your site.

There are several kinds of internet shoppers. And one of them would never buy at all without a coupon. They were never going to be your customer. So I didn't take anything from you.

And if you think internet coupons will go away, you are deluding yourself. It may change the way the discounts are delivered, via link instead of a code, but they are here to stay, just like in the "real world".

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    What Connie said, makes sense to me.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

If PR is the issue, why pull pages that may be in the search engines and make sales, yet? Just don't link the rest of the site to those pages but leave them linked to the main site as they are. If the main site doesn't link to them, problem solved as far as their leaching PR goes.

Leave dead pages out there because someone may use them as an entry to your main site. Less work and increases your possibilities. If someone gets to a defunct merchant because of them and they get a free sale, so what? You weren't going to get that sale, anyway. Yes, there will be merchants who take advantage. But, unless you have some particular gripe with a merchant, just move on.

You can also benefit from pages with dead to you merchants by having those pages, with their broken images and all, get the customer to the real site.

Don't waste what could be productive time on correcting those pages. Do something to make money instead. If you must do something a quick five minute search and replace fix is to break the images and links on purpose by adding a random letter to the image and link URL and put something at the top that says, "We're sorry, the items on this page are not available right now. Click here for our other great products". This can be done using an image so you don't change your rankings with a content change.

The beauty of this is that it is quickly reversed with no loss of search engine placement for a while if you change your mind. Like if the merchant suddenly starts negotiation.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

[This message was edited by SSanf on October 28, 2003 at 11:54 PM.]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast