Building Categories
    Hello, I have a few questions and seeing Im new to building websites I imagine this might sound dumb. Ive managed to use the data feed client and upload it to my website. It works great. I have pages and pages of products. My question is about the category structures. Currently I have 3 top categories in the left side bar. When I click one it breaks it down into about 20 sub categories that appear in the main body of my website.
    I guess Im asking what is the best way to approach restructuring the categories into something like a side navigation menu.
    Thanks
    Michael

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for your post. Right now the database variables that pull in the side navigation, and the main content for the products, are pre-configured.

One thing a lot of Affiliates do very effectively is to create their own navigation with deep links to the categories, sub-categories or product groups of their choice. Many people even create their own custom entry pages to their feed subscription(s), which can be very effective.

We're got some new versions of existing tools rolling out soon, but as far as an upgrade of the Web Service Client, that most likely won't take place until Q1 or Q2 of next year.

If you have any other questions or need some more info, feel free to email support/at/avantlink.com any time

Gary M

Thanks for the reply, so I guess Im going to work on it manually. Seems like alot of work but your guys tools are really great. Im sort of new and at first the tools seemed a little daunting but as I worked with them I see they are not so bad.
    Speaking of a updating the tools. I would like to see a option in the datafeed client to include a short description in the listings and then skip past the Product Page and go directly to the merchants product page. Something similar to the product display builder. The reason I mention this is right now, when the customer clicks on the product it takes them my description page. When they click on Buy it then takes them to the merchants product description page. This seems unnecessary. Thanks
    Michael

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I see. That could be a good option for the feed client, but many Affiliates want the product detail pages. Reason being is that with the right site and supporting content, those detail pages can rank favorably in the SEs for product level searches...which translates to VERY high conversion rates.

I have consistently seen over the years that product level pages ranking good for product level searches convert far and away the best. Especially with competitive, high-profile products or brands. And more especially during Q4!

So with all that said consider efforts for link building your datafeed sub-level pages. Here's a good article about that you might find helpful: Link Building for Datafeeds Of course, this is all a process, and it's going to take time to rank favorably for products. But that article is a great long term outline for helping your feed pages rank better.

Hope that helps, and thanks for your great feedback!

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread