Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    October 30, 2003
    Browser Changes to Hit Online Advertising
    By Susan Kuchinskas

There's still some denial among marketers, but many are preparing code re-writes to cope with Microsoft's pending changes to its Internet Explorer browser, which were forced by a patent ruling.

Last August, a Chicago jury awarded Eolas Technology $512 million in damages for patent infringement related to the way Microsoft's browser allows the embedding of small interactive programs in HTML documents. Advertisements made with Macromedia Flash, which has become an increasingly popular format, rely on this embedding to display properly. Other ad creative formats face the same issue.

While Microsoft appeals, it began work on a new version of the browser that eliminates the infringement by prompting the user to determine whether an ActiveX control should be loaded or whether to display alternate content. This means that users visiting Web pages that have not been updated to work with the new browser version will see a dialog box instead of a Flash movie or other content that uses ActiveX controls.

Read the rest here:
    http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article.php/3101661

Also see this:
    "Flash could disappear from online advertising. Sound ludicrous? Then you aren't aware of what has happened between Microsoft and a little-known company called Eolas. If you are aware, you probably don't know the issues this will raise for online advertising.

Back in August, Microsoft lost a patent infringement case related to how Active X controls load into Internet Explorer. Eolas (which holds the patent in question) was awarded a whopping $500 million dollars. Active X is the mechanism used by most Explorer-compatible plug-ins, including Macromedia's Flash and Shockwave, Quicktime, Real Media, Adobe Acrobat, and many others."

http://www.clickz.com/tech/ad_tech/article.php/3098671

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    <FONT size="1">Amazing Socks::ABCLeads::4LowRates::ChatDollars::ConsciousOne::EveryTicket::Organize-Everything
    DentalPlans::Irv's Luggage::Executive Essentials::IntelliContactPro::zZounds::RoadLoans</font>

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thanks Linda for the links. I posted this yesterday to forwarn ABWers that my predictions might take time but they always seem to come true. Microsoft will kill off BHO's -backdoor trojans -spammers -browser plug-ins -drive-by installs because they can't afford the initial 512 Million + 111 million in interest fine. Gates is pissed at loosing the fine money ,pending licencing fees, security holes and 42% of all computer service calls tied to buggy spyware/adware programs. He knows the Windows end users have spoken loud on this issue and taking a personal 8 Billion dollar one day dip in his networth upon the release of this news is something that will cease if he runs the Ad Whores out of his browser space. He and all internet users could care less if FLASH completely disappeared like Telemarketers, spammers or popups.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I will gladly say good bye to Flash if it also rids us of the parasites. A little Flash goes a long way, IMHO. I never put much on my site, so there's not much to redo.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Goes with the post i made a week ago IE changes
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/ieupdate/

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Oooops, Sorry Mike and Trust. Guess I missed your posts and thought this was something new. I guess one of my concerns is that alot of merchant's ad banners are made with Flash, so that's why I was giving a heads up.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    <FONT size="1">Amazing Socks::ABCLeads::4LowRates::ChatDollars::ConsciousOne::EveryTicket::Organize-Everything
    DentalPlans::Irv's Luggage::Executive Essentials::IntelliContactPro::zZounds::RoadLoans</font>

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Linda all those internet Flash Ads and even the video streaming news popups will require licensing and a fully licensed browser to display. The Ad Whores take it in the shorts on another beautifully timed law suit. No way around this one as the patent cannot be challenged anymore. Microsoft knuckles under rather then pay royalities and uses it as a good excuse to gut all Active-X plug-in security holes adding nothing to their bottom line.

Major smoozing by MS to their customer base by incorporating anti-virus - firewall- spam filtering - popup blockers and all drive-by downloads from IE 7.0 and the new Windows OS will drive upgrades well beyond XP.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on October 30, 2003 at 06:40 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I use Flash on a limited basis for navigation in one section of my site, so this is going to be a pain. There is, thankfully, a fairly simple workaround.

You can read about the workaround here.

http://developer.apple.com/internet/ieembedprep.html

Jim

Good bye and good riddance! Flash is as annoying as your neighbor's dog preferring YOUR yard.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Anyone with XP SP1 care to d/l the test IE6 browser and see what it does when it hits drive-by BHO installs?

http://msdn.microsoft.com:80/ieupdate/

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

What SSanf said.

good I think flash is totally annoying!

Jason
    xtremeshopping.org
    aim: ssn jason
    <a href="http://www.xtremeshopping.org/parasiteware.html"target="_blank">Fight parasiteware!<a>

"Do what you love and make money in the process. Turn your knowledge into income."

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread