I did a spybot check which found what was described as Threat: BHO/Possible spyware

It had the following path which I could not find in my registry because I had spybot get rid of it already (my guess anyway).

Mysearch ClassID

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{014DA6C9-189F-421a-88CD-07CFE51CFF10}

However, I did a search with the find feature in my registry using "014DA6C9-189F-421a-88CD-07CFE51CFF10" and found the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{014DA6C9-189F-421a-88CD-07CFE51CFF10}

As you can see its a different path then what spybot found but with the same key #

QUESTION: Is the latter related to what spybot found where I can safely delete it from my registry??? Will that mess up my browser and/or computer if I do?

<font color=blue size="1">"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."</font>

On Win95/98 I used to run regclean to clean up the registry. I' don't seem to have it on my XP machine. Maybe XP takes care of cleanup automatically.

My advice. Leave it.

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

ABW Ambassador
    When I am looking for parasites I like to use adaware. It has the option to put everything back the way it was, JIC you have a problem.

Yes it's free. Look for it on www.tucows.com

After trying Spybot, I found that it worked tons better than adware. Spybot found Gator stuff after I ran adware and deleted.

Very Good program

Thanks for the feedback all.

I did some research and found out that the culprit must be the "mysearch bar" that I must have uploaded (probably without my knowledge somehow as I don't remember) sometime back. I only saw it popping up in Spybot not too long ago though. I can remove it from spybot but it always comes back.

This time when I ran spybot I didn't remove it and went right to my registry following the path shown in spybot. It was there and I deleted the mysearch value and everything is now fine.

You can read up on the myserch bar here

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/MySearch.html

Although they say you can remove from the add/remove program it was not there. I think I may have removed it from there already and it left its droppings in my registry. Sort of like kazaa (SP?) and a bunch of other parasites do I guess.

Anyway, thought I would add this update.

<font color=blue size="1">"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."</font>

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread