Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VistaPrint Affiliate Program - Beware!
    Edelman examined ads for online graphic design and printing shop VistaPrint and concluded that the company's affiliates use "trick marketing analytics." "VistaPrint's marketing partners are defrauding VistaPrint by claiming commissions on sales they actually did nothing to cause," alleges Edelman, an assistant professor at Harvard.

While VistaPrint could impose conditions on the use of adware--such as not allowing affiliates to arrange to have ads appear when users have navigated to the site on their own--Brandenberg said VistaPrint had not banned that practice.
    source: http://www.mediapost.com/publication...&art_aid=91744
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thanks for the link, Haiko. I'm here and happy to discuss the report & my findings if anyone has questions.

My pleasure Ben, THANK YOU for keeping up with the research and making the findings public ... would love to see all you have.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Definitely will be reading this as soon as get back from an appointment.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

15 years and counting
    I know you're busy, Ben but I'm glad to see you're still exposing the cheaters. Thanks. VistaPrint has a long history of bad behavior.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bedelman
    Thanks for the link, Haiko. I'm here and happy to discuss the report & my findings if anyone has questions.
    Ben, thanks for the findings and reporting as always.

"VistaPrint allows affiliates to use adware, as long the adware providers don't deceptively install the pop-up serving software on users' computers"

I think once you allow adware in, it's too easy for the affiliate not see the $$$ pouring in if they get a little deceptive with it and have those pop-ups come in a few times.

Anyway, is there really any adware not deceptive?

The full link to the report is http://www.benedelman.org/news/093008-1.html
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    what, hydra, clickbooth, cpa empire, incentaclick and performics have their affiliates using adware to steal credit for sales... shocking... not.

good work Ben. thanks for linking to it H.

i had hoped that by now, shitware use would have been eradicated. every affiliate should think about the reasons why it hasn't, understanding this issue is an important key to your success and survival in this industry, in my opinion.

Haiko wrote:
    would love to see all you have
    I'm working on it! The challenge is, my AutoTester produces an overwhelming volume of reports -- often dozens per day, or even more. It can be somewhat time-consuming to review each report carefully to figure out what intermediares were involved, then to summarize each report in a paragraph, extract a packet log, and post the summary, packet log, and video.

Brandenberg said VistaPrint had not banned that practice.
    I find this a puzzling position. For one, Hydra specifically promises "the most rigorous, most comprehsensive suite of compliance tools" that "proactively guard[] against compliance problems from every angle" to provide "control over where your ad is placed" to assure that ads are "profitable." Allowing self-targeting spyware popups flies in the face of these promises.

For another, how could VistaPrint intentionally allow this practice? These affiliates are claiming commission on sales VistaPrint would have gotten anyway, for free, without paying out a commission. There is no business benefit to paying commission on traffic that would otherwise have arrived free.

Finally, there's a strong argument that even a standard contract would impliedly prohibit the traffic at issue. Suppose a contract calls for Hydra to provide VistaPrint with "leads." It strains credibility to call a user a "lead" if the user was about to buy the product anyway. That's inconsistent with the ordniary meaning of "lead," i.e. "tip - an indication of potential opportunity" -- for a user already about to buy the product is quite a bit more than a "potential" opportunity.

I find this a puzzling position...
    I've personally notified the VistaPrint's affiliate management of the existence of this thread (early this morning). Would love to hear their response here.

Geno

Ben,

Is there a way to get just a daily list of merchants that were involved in the AutoTester reports? Email, feed or otherwise? That alone could be an invaluable tool for affiliates so that they could see which are being targeted.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    I've personally notified the VistaPrint's affiliate management of the existence of this thread (early this morning). Would love to hear their response here.

Geno
    Do they have active management? I dropped their program months ago after sending no fewer than 5 e-mails regarding affiliate spam without a response. To me it just didn't seem like it was worth competing with the scum they allow in their program.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Do they have active management?
    Don't know how actively they are managing, but I saw them at Summits several times. That's where I made contact.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    i had hoped that by now, shitware use would have been eradicated. every affiliate should think about the reasons why it hasn't, understanding this issue is an important key to your success and survival in this industry, in my opinion.
    Bingo. Affiliates need to know what merchants work with parasites and which ones don't. Don't blow it off thinking it's not costing you because it is.

Thanks Ben!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The key factor is VistaPrint spends 3 times more on advertising then the company banks in gross profits. Talk about a HUGE TARGET for the sleezeballs to shoot at. Therefore they have no management on board watching their ship sink as the Adwhores stearing it continue to take shortcuts over the dangerous reefs on the way to the marketing port.

I hear the same crapola here you pointed out as a huge RED FLAG as to affiliates shafting the merchants. Braggerts touting conversion ratios way above what the merchants natural site and repeat customer traffic generates. Someone is poaching the shopping cart, as you pointed out, taking commission credit for what was being processed through the cart anyway...
    Last edited by ecomcity; October 1st, 2008 at 02:42 PM.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thank you Ben for doing your part in helping to expose affiliates, vendors, and networks who live in the gray and black areas.

Continued Success,

Haiko

See my signature line below to read about and understand how these rogue affiliates are doing this using adware and how it affects all involved parties.

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    I find this a puzzling position.
    Merchant's in house marketing teams are often incentivized to bring back huge numbers. Once in that pattern a company would often rather see imaginary sales volume in order to hit established sales growth targets, than see real business trickle in. As Haiko often says it is all about "drinking the Kool-Aid".
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    This article actually "outs" affiliates by their affiliate number. Now where did I lay my affiliate number directory??
    Other advertising companies or affiliates singled out include Vomba, Hydra Network Affiliate 19934, Clickbooth Affiliate 14941, WhenU, MediaTraffic, Iadsdirect, Clickbooth Affiliate 7781, Revenue Gateway Affiliate 12489, CPA Empire, CPA Builder, Weclub, CX Digital Media Affiliate 13736, Deluxe Communications, Smartyseek, and Zango.

X

15 years and counting
    Rewards Program: In August 2008, the company announced that class action lawsuits relating to the membership discount programs offered by third party merchants on VistaPrint's USA website have been filed against VistaPrint USA, Inc., VistaPrint Corp., and two third party merchants (Vertrue Inc. and its subsidiary Adaptive Marketing LLC) in Texas and New Jersey.[55] Two additional class-action suits were subsequently filed in both Massachusetts and Alabama. The four complaints, all filed in federal courts, allege that the defendants are in violation of the Electronic Funds Transfer Act (which protects from unauthorized charges) and the federal Electronic Communications and Privacy Act (which prohibits the unlawful access of financial information). "As we allege in the complaint, we believe that VistaPrint and Vertrue are acting in concert to access consumers' credit card information and then begin charging them relatively small amounts," says Jerome Noll, counsel for the plaintiff that filed the Massachusetts suit. "You're talking about $14.95 a month or $12.95 a month, hoping that consumers just won't notice."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VistaPrint
    Vista Print & Vertrue unauthorized charges by unknown 'affiliates' to credit cards while ordering products on vistaprint.com Omaha Nebraska
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0196274.htm

VistaPrint on GAN just sent me a deactivation notice today for not sending them enough traffic. Thanks VistaPrint that's one less OneCause merchant for me to worry about.

I had removed them after having read this thread. I've never actually deactivated or terminated merchants, just remove em (only when they're really bad, may have to rethink that tho and give em reasons now, tho.) far as I know they haven't removed me yet tho (may be at CJ ) and I know I'm definitely not sending em much traffic. lol

Truthfully, if you've ever gone through the checkout process at VistaPrint, I think you'd be hesitant to send any real loyal visitors of your website there anyhow.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    VistaPrint on GAN just sent me a deactivation notice today for not sending them enough traffic.
    You're gonna need BHO-type "volume" for them to want you.

How funny is that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast