Traffic Up Sales Down...
    So what's going on over the past six or so days? Our traffic has almost doubled during the last six days yet sales have nearly flat lined. It may just be coincidence as the site is still relatively a baby to Google, and it's natural that traffic will continue to increase as we go, but such an increase is just plain weird.
    And what's with sales? Is it the economy woes[?], is it pre-Christmas window shopping?

Since most of our campaigns are through ePN, here are some stats...

9/1 - 9/24 EPC=$30.26 CTR=45%
    9/25 - 9/30 EPC=$2.24 CTR=51% on approximately twice the traffic volume of the first 24 days.

Anyone else experiencing this?

X

ABW Ambassador
    did you have any really big sales that would have bosted the EPC for the first period?

bots?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Might be lookers too.

I saw a surge in traffic on the day when Dow dropped 777, but conversion was low. We had emails go out too but it did not convert. Guess people are also worried about the economy and not buying...

Other possibilities.. bots

ABW Ambassador
    Could be various things, hard to know for sure. Some of the possibilities already mentioned. Might be people just seeing how things go with the bailout/economy etc. Might tighten up a little bit until after the election. Also end of the month (your past 6 days or so) is usually slower than the beginning of the month. So could be all kinds of things.

We had a large commission ($69 after partial reversal) early in the month but our typical EPC runs $22 to $26. Six days really isn't long enough to get a good sample, but to be totally inconsistent with traffic volume is troubling.

I filter bots from our server stats.

But the traffic I refer to is actually ePN impressions. Should have specified that. Our ePN impressions for the six day period is twice what the previous 24 days averaged. Clicks divided by impressions = 51%. Yet sales are in the mud.

X

one of the sites superCool operates has a photo that started to show up within the normal Google results for a key term. you know how they sometimes show a photo or two at the top of the SERPs. not sure how that happened, but that has increased Google traffic considerably.

could be something like that - if you have detailed logs you should be able to get an idea of where the extra traffic is coming from. sounds like you're getting a bunch of low quality traffic for some reason.

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, you're just taking about ebay. Not sure but what I did notice as far as impressions, that yesterday, Sept 30th were my highest impressions/clicks, almost double the usual but just on that day. Have no idea why as the traffic was basically the same.

I have a dedicated WebTrends server. Since our sites are self hosted I have extremely targeted stats available, including search engine terms that were used to find us. I can precisely correlate a Google search directly to ePN impressions as every ePN product link owns it's own webpage. So targeted traffic IS reaching ePN, and recording in their reporting, yet are currently producing the results mentioned above.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Ah, you're just taking about ebay. Not sure but what I did notice as far as impressions, that yesterday, Sept 30th were my highest impressions/clicks, almost double the usual but just on that day. Have no idea why as the traffic was basically the same.
    Maybe with all the bad news people are escaping into online browsing with no intention of buying...

X

Might have been better in the EPN forum. Though this is not unusual with EPN lately. There is definitely something up with their tracking, and I believe that sales themselves may not be down, but the tracking is the issue (again).

The last few days of the month we usually do a lot of business (for some strange reason) and it's down by a good 2k as of today's reports (which should be complete for the month of September).

All we can do is guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    So what's going on over the past six or so days? Our traffic has almost doubled during the last six days yet sales have nearly flat lined. .....

Anyone else experiencing this?
    I was averaging a solid $45 per day from CJ commissions all through September, and then on the 28th everything dropped to zero. I just sent out emails to 4 of my top converting merchants to ask if my links are still enabled (they almost always reply that "yep, looks good" but then sales magically start back up the next day, so hopefully that'll be the case again this time).

Not sure yet if it's the economy, or problems with my account/links, or what. But yes, definitely am seeing a very noticable drop since the 28th.

This could be a 911 moment where both online and offline sales were badly affected in the following week as people are glued to their TV and computer screens for news. We have had a succession of spectecular financial news: Lehmans, AIG, Walmu, 700B bailout. It doesn't necessarily mean that the economy is already bad, but it does get people worried. Even here, I could see that business at restaurants are down noticeably.

I would guess that sales would recover somewhat after the 700B package is passed and after the presidential elections. But that would be before the next big thing.

Small sales are starting to trickle in today, and I did hear back from the affiliate managers I contacted, verifying that my account was still tracking.

I think the stock crash had a noticable affect on sales there for a few days. Nothing else changed, that I can think of, and I was still getting the same number of clicks each day (200+).

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The bailout concerns, stock crash, business closings, job losses and the economy in general has absolutely had an effect for the past two weeks gang. It will have an effect for a while longer too, but in the end, it will return to normal. People just need the artificial security that the media telling them "everything is looking better" gives them. I refer to it as the SP effect.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    Well this month is starting out good on my end, first 2 days have been pretty great.

Traffic continues to increase since I opened this thread. That's a good thing. eBay commissions have picked up a little, but the last two days have been pretty good for products sold from the website. It's all just a little weird right now with the sales not following the traffic. Sales are usually better around the 1st and the 15th, so that may be contributing to them picking up the last couple days.

X

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    It's all just a little weird right now with the sales not following the traffic. Sales are usually better around the 1st and the 15th, so that may be contributing to them picking up the last couple days.
    Logical buyer behavior Boom. Having been through several economic downturn cycles over the years, I've noted that when people are a bit uncertain about economic stability, they don't pull the wallets out as much, but they still "think" about things they want to buy. Hence, traffic void of sales. Window shopping versus ready to spend!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

It seems that even after the 700B has been passed, the troubles are increasing. Now Europe has its own banking crisis now and stocks are crashing in Asia and Europe. I wonder whether the Dow will plummet tonight as well. This is certainly pretty interesting and nerve-racking times.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread