Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    [URL Removed - Please do not post affiliate URLs!]

Is this an example of datafeeds gone wild. no home page, no pre-sell, no real structure. To me it just looks like a lot of datafeeds, connected by a search box.
    If this is what I am up against (This site is allways one step ahead of my sites in Google) what can one do to combat this? if anything.

I am not knocking this site. Just wanting to know if this is typical of affilate sites, and if so, what would be the purpose of building an site with a home page and other structured links. When all one has to do is grab a datafeed, add a search box (freely available at hotscripts).
    ps: I have strong feeling that the owner of this site is an ABW member, because of the choices of merchants.

[This message was edited by Haiko on October 13, 2003 at 07:22 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by glaikit:
    ps: I have strong feeling that the owner of this site is an ABW member, because of the choices of merchants.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So why post their site?

ABW Ambassador
    glaikit, i wouldn't worry about it, i have a feeling some upcoming filters will handle a lot of that.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

ABW Ambassador
    The nice thing about a content site is that it tends to have higher PR than pure datafeed sites. Generally, my site is able to stay ranked ahead of pure datafeed sites in the terms I target. So, by having a home page with at least a bit of content, getting links should be easier and the sites PR higher - all of which should help your pages rise above the type of site you're describing.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This site is allways one step ahead of my sites in Google <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a pretty smart affiliate!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> what can one do to combat this? if anything <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come up with some new ideas instead of sniping at the competition

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Jeez! I always show up too late to read the nasty URL's. :^(

What sort of site was it? What merchants was it promoting?

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

Ah, you didn't miss much. It was just a bunch of datafeeds baring their breasts.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Probably one of those ABWers who own a ton of typosquawting or expired traffic domains throwing up some datafeed template sites. SE and e-mail Spammers are a dime a dozen and the filters to bann them will definitely whack their ebiz plan. We all ask and beg to networks to play fair and yet the major source of scummy practices come right from the affiliate side of things. Look at all the crap appearing just today as the tricks for clicks crowd sure seek to torpedo all the efforts to get this industry to come clean.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Mike, I bet he eats babies as well and works for the commies.

Pete and midnightcoder
    A couple of old hands with datafeeds?
    Does spam bother you two?
    I wrote the above for new affilates, you know the ones tring to make it with pages that contain content and navigation that means something.

one mans spam is another mans seo

dont worry about the spam, as said above if its spam it will get filtered eventually

and if the SE's are listing worthless spam above your site, there's a problem with your site not the SE or the spam

just my 2c

midnightcoder. Thanks at least I know where you stand.
    It is good to know spammers are watching ABW. I always wondered about all the members here, surely I thought there must be a lot of practitioners of the very practices we at ABW so vocally despise.

Good on ya midnightcoder

yeah, whatever

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by glaikit:
    midnightcoder. Thanks at least I know where you stand.
    It is good to know spammers are watching ABW. I always wondered about all the members here, surely I thought there must be a lot of practitioners of the very practices we at ABW so vocally despise.

Good on ya midnightcoder<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I think I just found a reason to convert my BHO into an open-source project.

Pete
    What does that mean, you are a spammer? If so glad to see you piss off.

Man, what is the deal with some of these new guys lately...

ABW Ambassador
    All affiliates are spammers.

We are offering what is already available at the primary merchant's site; we are hogging SE listings with duplicate content.

If you are running a commercial affiliate site, you are a spammer by default.

------------------------------

All your SERP's are now belong to us. Shall we sell for you? Or shall we sell for your competitor?

"posted October 13, 2003 11:23 PM
    Man, what is the deal with some of these new guys lately... "

Just want an even playing field. are you also a spammer.

ABW Ambassador
    If you want a level playing field, why not expose your own URL the way you did to the lady/gentleman that owns the site you seem to have a beef about.

All your SERP's are now belong to us. Shall we sell for you? Or shall we sell for your competitor?

I am a spammer. I haven't spammed the internet for over 3 minutes.

Grow up.

I have no beef about any site but. If you want a url try bigtallstore.com no scams here. I know the name sucks. This is just one of my sites. This one just happens to be a test case for ABW merchants, and so far they suck.

ABW Ambassador
    Well do you have any products or information on that site that is not already available on the internet? If not, then you are a duplicate content SE spammer as well.

No insult or disrespect intended, of course.

It's just that we (affiliates) are all spammers. Some of us just don't realize it.

At what point does an affiliate become a spammer - in number of pages published per site? If I have say 80 pages, that's ok, but if I have 2,000, well that's SPAM? If I have 10,000 that's definetly SPAM.

So the folks with lots of pages are all spammers, and it's not fair to those that only have a few pages? If you have sites that have datafeed content, that's not fair either?

What will make it fair for you?

Datafeed sites are NOT the same thing as UCE SPAM - period. Datafeed sites are NOT the same as BHO's - period.

Fred

You might just be a Spammer if - Your welcome mat says, "You'd better have a search warrant."

Umm, what kind of search terms are you targeting?

ABW Ambassador
    Nothing wrong with your site, but...

You would do well to read up on SE optimization techniques.

THe fact that other sites appear ahead of yours in SERP's has nothing to do with whether they are spammers, but MUCH to do with the fact that at least SOME webmasters optimize their pages for relevant terms.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast