View Poll Results: According to cpubenchmark.net, what category does your processor fall under?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • High end

16 57.14%
  • Mid range

7 25.00%
  • Low end

6 21.43%
  • Not listed

1 3.57%
  • Don't know

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    CPU Speed - What do you have?
    After someone had posted about my "super" computer in a prior thread, I decided to find out what everyone else was working with. Please choose which of the three blue background pages at http://www.cpubenchmark.net that your computer system/systems fall under. "High End", "Mid Range", or "Low End". I know the options listed might not apply to everyone, so I added a "not listed" option too, along with a "don't know".

I have kept the voting private. Multiple choices allowed for households with more than one computer.

FYI, mine falls under the mid-range, toward the bottom. That is not bad for a 3 year old laptop. My desktop falls under the high-end, just breaking the 1000 score.

-sfcom

ABW Ambassador
    mine is listed close to the top of the mid range. I paid $350 for the computer, not bad

All 3 are high end. Backup laptop just barely made with a 1.83 GHz DuoCore, main laptop with a 2.2 GHz Duo Core and my new homemade gaming PC with a 2.66 GHz Intel Quad Core.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

still getting by with an Intel P3/866. passmark was 148.0

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    still getting by with an Intel P3/866. passmark was 148.0
    As a side note, Herb posted this yesterday and it just got here.........
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

benchmarks are flawed.

I don't trust them anymore.

My computer (a dual-core Pentium D, 2.8GHz, with 4GB RAM) gets a PassMark Rating of 426.1, which puts it just below the middle of the "mid-range."

I'm skeptical of most benchmarks (including this one), because what really matters is how the computer works for the tasks a particular user prefers. Every task favors a different "mix" of system resources (raw CPU speed, multi-threading, L1/L2 cache size, RAM memory size, front-side bus speed, graphics card features and performance, and several separate measures of hard-disk speed).

Benchmarking and I go way back -- in 1986-87, I wrote a series of reviews of CPU-replacement "accelerator" add-in cards for IBM PCs (for InfoWorld), and ended up creating my own personal "real-world benchmark suite" which included tasks like sorting and recalculating a spreadsheet, searching a flat-file database, searching-and-replacing in a word-processing document, etc. I suspect that it would be impossible to run those benchmarks on my current computer, because tasks that took 30 seconds to 5 minutes on computers in 1986 probably would execute in a few seconds (or faster) on my current PC.

One factor that I included in my benchmark suite was a "price/performance curve" analysis, which helped the evaluation/decision process. When I bought my 2.8-GHz system, I probably could have upgraded to a 3.0-GHz CPU for $100 more, or a 3.2-GHz CPU for $250 more -- but I didn't think the marginal improvement in performance was worth the extra cost. Price is always a factor.

We recently bought a new $399 laptop computer (HP, Windows Vista, at Fry's Electronics) for "occasional use" when we travel; it is currently being used mostly by my wife to play Solitaire or Yahoo Games while watching TV. I suspect that we might never find any reasonable use for the laptop that it can't handle "just as well" as any other computer we own. (I don't plan to use the laptop for advanced gaming, or to edit movies, or any other use that might create a perception of "slow performance.")

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Sad but true, my end is low.

It's three years old and due to be replaced but it still gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Sad but true, my end is low.

It's three years old and due to be replaced but it still gets the job done.
    Mine, actually is far older than three years, and it's been sagging for decades.

Oh. We were, uh, talking about COMPUTERS?
    Generate more fake news.

funny I thought i'd get a cheap chip in a good board and wait for the big chips to drop in $ still hit mid of the mids for my heavy lifter. with the 5 year old laptop which does most of the work hitting on the low end of the low range go figure ;-)

I pretty much live in the mid because no sooner do I build the fastest/bestest and the...

Well, you know the story.

X

Recently bought a new laptop and with business doing okay, invested in a fast CPU. Just makes sense to as this is the tool of my trade
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

Investing on a fast CPU really doesn't do anything.

I actuallyknow of sub 100 dollar CPU's that perform better than CPU's costing over 100 dollars.

Benchmarks are flawed because of this as they tend to show that the more expensive the CPU the better they perform.

But most Benchmarks now a days just test to see if a certain feature is present on the CPU nd regardless of how the CPU handles the feature (Slowly or quickly) the CPU is given the same amount of points.

There are Intel Celerons that out perform some AMD chips in real world use but the AMD chips get the higher score.

Then there are AMD x2/x3/x4 chips that are dirt cheap and the more expensive intel core 2 get the better benchmark but when you use it in real life some of those cheape AMD chips out perform the lower end of the more expensive core 2 duos nd sometimes perform as well as some of the more expensive ones.

You notice this the most in graphics cards, crappy onboard cards get good ratings simply because they can handle certain features even if they handle them poorly.

My PowerPC G4 isn't listed nor can I run the software, it's Windows only.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread