I have found several "niche" markets as it were, where few ads, if any, are listed on the search engines, while still being in high demand on searches queries. The only problem is that I can not find any merchants in those fields with an affiliate program. I find this rather irritating because many of the markets I have researched have many sites with nice products to promote, and still do not have an affiliate program to join so I can not get in on the gravy train...

I suppose my question is if any of y'all run into such a problem and what y'all do about it... I do email the targets and ask if they have one, but they usually say no. I wonder if there could be some way that I'd be the only affiliate to them and they can track my sales without getting exspensive software...

.lucas

--------------------
    "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work." -Robert Orben

I personally don't think that any service would find as good a deal as shareasale offers.

You should join sharesale and send your "niche" market vendors a link to them .. if they sign up you get a quick $100.00 and your their first affiliate.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lucas:
    I wonder if there could be some way that I'd be the only affiliate to them and they can track my sales without getting exspensive software...

.lucas
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes there is a way and people like me have been taping that market for years.

Yes there is a way and people like me have been taping that market for years ....

Sandra

I don't think this is giving away any secrets - a search on google for "affiliate tracking software" will reveal lots of options for people going down this route.

Just wondered if you, or anyone else, would be happy to recommend a particular product.

Personally, I've been thinking of this myself recently - but the merchant in question would undoubtedly take a large percentage of orders by telephone.

I can't really think of any method of tracking sales that doesn't ultimately boil down to having to trust the merchant to report sales honestly.

I could instruct people to contact me by telephone or email - and then pass this info to the merchant - but ..

1 I don't want the hassle

2 I know a lot of users would just go direct to the merchant anyway

ABW Ambassador
    Hopefully Brian will spotthis thread and chime in here. I've been doing some thinking on this subject myself and wondered if it might be a good idea to approach a merchant and offer to pay the Shareasale setup fee for them, and keep the program private if Shareasale would allow such an arrangement.

------------------------------
    "Beware the man who preaches respect for you but does not demonstrate it. Ask him to show his face before you bare your back to his blade." ~ George Hayduke

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Good ideas. The thing to keep in mind is there would still be some work on the merchants end. They need to set up the account and do the cart integration programming. Not that big of a deal, but unless the merchant is really sold on the concept they may not bother to follow through.

If I were an affiliate in your shoes I would NEVER pay for a merchant to set up a program. If they don't have enough commitment to pay the tiny $150 set-up - then they may not have enough commitment to do the integration, help you with links or PAY YOU for your efforts! My 2 cents.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    <FONT size="1">Amazing Socks::ABCLeads::4LowRates::ChatDollars::ConsciousOne::EveryTicket::Organize-Everything
    DentalPlans::Irv's Luggage::Executive Essentials::IntelliContactPro::zZounds::RoadLoans</font>

Hmm, if I were approached like that and were told that someone would pay some set-up fee for some service I don't understand - my first thought would be it's some kind of a scam.
    On the other hand, if someone told me they would get me sales, but I would need to pay some fee upfront, I would look at it as some advertising solicitation.

You need to explain what affiliate marketing is all about before trying to "sell" the solution.

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com
    "All your affiliate are belong to us"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiebreaker:
    Sandra

I don't think this is giving away any secrets - a search on google for "affiliate tracking software" will reveal lots of options for people going down this route.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tiebreaker,

Actually to disclose that information would be giving away trade secrets. I can tell you it can be done extremely reasonably, to both you and the merchant.

By doing it myself, I have the opportunity to provide a promotional item from my company placed with every order I sell for them (i.e., zipper, note pad, calendar, hats). There is so much you can do, as much as I love ABW and sharing I will not give up my edge in this area.

I hope what you do get from this knowledge is that it can be done without utilizing the networks and at a reasonable rate.

Sandra

Sandra

I wouldn't dream of asking anyone to disclose a nice little niche market they have tapped into - or some other personally developed technique which has given them an edge.

I just thought you were using some kind of commercially available software that was public knowledge.

Anyway - best of luck to you - but I'm still scratching my head to come up with a solution for my personal merchant

Tiebreaker,

Have you spoken with IRVs (Linda Buquet)? They have the telephone tracking method accomplished for their site; perhaps they would be willing to assist you in obtaining the technology?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandraR:
    Tiebreaker,

Have you spoken with IRVs (Linda Buquet)? They have the telephone tracking method accomplished for their site; perhaps they would be willing to assist you in obtaining the technology?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sandra

No I haven't - I guess this telephone tracking is along the lines of individual affiliates ID appearing below the phone number on the merchants site?

This is not really a problem for me - I would be the only affiliate.

The method I have been toying with is agreeing some kind of discount or free promotional gift with the merchant - this would only be available to visitors from my site if they order a product.

They would have to quote my site when they phone the merchant - thereby ensuring that the merchant knows the order has come from me.

A crude method - but it should work good enough I think

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread