How important is it for a merchant to be P3P compliant?
    How important is it for a merchant with an affiliate program to be P3P compliant?

I see quite a few that are not compliant and their affiliate program seems to be fine.

http and a telephoto
    How are they not compliant? No privacy policy?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Is this the only part of being compliant?

The Platform for Privacy Preferences Project (P3P), a proposal by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), is aimed at this second issue of online privacy. The essence of the idea is that websites should carry specially configured, machine-readable privacy statements, designed to be read automatically by web browsers. Thus, if a site's P3P statement is in conflict with the web browser's privacy settings, the browser can take appropriate action to avoid whatever data practice is disliked. For example, a browser could be set up to block navigation to any site which says that it passes on personal information to third parties.

A website which is P3P compliant contains at least two special XML files. The first is a 'P3P Reference File'. The purpose of this file is to associate particular web pages (or, more precisely, 'HTTP Entities', which are slightly more basic than web pages) with one or more 'P3P Policy Files'. The Policy File associated with a particular HTTP entity specifies the data practices for that entity. Policy Files for cookies are specified in isolation from other Policy Files.

The location of the Reference File itself can be given to a browser in three different ways. It can be specified with an HTML <link> element, can be passed in special P3P HTTP headers, or else is to be found in a 'well-known location', viz: the 'p3p.xml' file in the 'w3c' directory off the root of the webserver.

As noted, the Policy File specifies the data practices for an entity. The data it contains may include: the details of the organisation collecting the data; the type of data being collected; the purpose of the data collection; any outside recipients of the data. It will also include details of whether users can make changes in the stored data; any dispute resolution process; and the location of the corresponding human-readable privacy document. Note that this latter is a necessary requirement - the details in each Policy File must also be accessible in a natural language form.

The P3P protocol contains data sets which describe various different types of data. For example there is the kind of data that one might take in a registration form - user name, email address, etc. It also covers the kind of data that is collected automatically in web logs - IP addresses, referring URL, etc. It is expected that the number of inbuilt data types will increase as P3P matures, but it is also possible for organisations to specify their own data types.

The following resources are useful in learning more about P3P, and for the process of writing your own P3P policies. They have been picked out from the larger list of papers and resources at: http://www.w3.org/P3P/.

http://www.softsteel.co.uk/tutorials/P3P/index.html

The merchant has a privacy policy, but not in xml format.

Any other components of being P3P compliant?

Is it still important.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    the major search engines keep knocking on my site's door to try to find the document where it's supposed to be located...

my conclusion...

it's importance is growing slowly over time and adding it can only help (like many other things that matter).

http and a telephoto
    I don't think most merchants are aware that they need a special xml file, I didn't know it. We have a privacy policy on our merchant sites, and so do the merchants I manage. I will look into creating the xml file and spreading the word about needing that. Like Donuts says, it can't hurt. In answer to the original question, I think it is something that should be done, but isn't really hurting merchants that don't have one at this time.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread