Suggesstion / Help to choose a CMS
    Hi, we are looking for a Content Management System (CMS) which designers can find easy to make designs for as well as easy to integrate the design to the CMS.

kindly suggest/advise on this..we already working with joomla.

thanks in advance.

If you do some searching on the forum, you'll find quite a bit of discussion about CMS, Joomla and WordPress in particular.

I've never been smart enough to figure out using Joomla for anything. LOL! I have found, and several others have found, that WordPress can be pretty easily adapted as a CMS. Lot's of Google search results for that one.

Also, a search on the ABW Forums here will turn up mention of a site that lets you test drive a huge number of CMS to see what might work for you. I don't have that link, but you'll find it if you search here -- or on Google.

As for specific CMS recommendations for affiliate marketing, I don't think most people here use a CMS other than Joomla or WordPress, so I don't know how many specific recommendations you'll get?
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    You can do some pretty spectacular things with Wordpress in my opinion.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

hi thanks ..wordpress is more for bloggers i am looking at something on the lines of portal..i just got to know about drupal also...seems its also good and popular like joomla..

Quote Originally Posted by id2k
    hi thanks ..wordpress is more for bloggers i am looking at something on the lines of portal..i just got to know about drupal also...seems its also good and popular like joomla..
    Good luck to you. The three CMS I've tried besides WordPress (and if you think it's ONLY for blogging, you're missing out) are Joomla, drupal, and Website Baker. I was overwhelmed by the learning curve on drupal, had almost as much difficulty with Joomla, and sort of figured out Website Baker. Website Baker was a small CMS without a great following, but I found it easier to understand and use than the others. Don't have a link to the site -- not even sure whether they're still developing it.
    Generate more fake news.

thanks writerguy..i just found the website baker site via google search..will check out..

regarding wordpress used for other things besides blogging i am not aware of that..but since you so i will try and figure out what other things it can be used for..thanks again for this tip

Quote Originally Posted by id2k
    thanks writerguy..i just found the website baker site via google search..will check out..

regarding wordpress used for other things besides blogging i am not aware of that..but since you so i will try and figure out what other things it can be used for..thanks again for this tip
    Oh, you're totally welcome. Hang around here and we can all share your frustrations with whatever you choose. (Kidding.)

I think I'll check out that Website Baker again for myself. Got a couple of sites I might try it on again!
    Generate more fake news.

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

You will find ratings along with demos. Best CMS site I've ever stumbled across.

-sfcom

I would reiterate Wordpress. It used to be blogging only platform - today it can be used as full blown content management system. There are zillions of themes available and many of them are free and convert wordpress to beautiful websites with own navigational structures, sidebars, etc...
    The huge advantage of wordpress is that it can create very well SEO optimized websites - others CMS'es are still not getting that. Joomla is getting huge and a bit "heavy" - too much code executed. Wordpress is very lightweight and whatever extra feature you want - it is highly likely it is already available in form of free or inexpensive plugin. I maybe a bit biased - most of my sites use wordpress - but I been through many CMS-es.

In fact i recently made a blog post about building fast seo optimized websites - if interested - Google: "mensk cms" and click on first link (can't post links here!)

Gleb

Expression Engine!

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    http://www.opensourcecms.com/

You will find ratings along with demos. Best CMS site I've ever stumbled across.

-sfcom
    Ah-HAH! There it is. That's the link I was referring to in my post above regarding the place to demo tons of CMS's. Good site, for sure.
    Generate more fake news.

yeps the site mention by sfcom has some really good cms and their demos...thanks sfcom and others for helping me out...

I'd like to also stress WordPress. With the upcoming Buddy Press you can add social networking to WordPress. That's pretty important for websites to have in this day, so I'd start searching for social network scripts and see which ones have a decent CMS.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

There are definitely a lot out there, but yeah no matter how good wordpress is, it always looks like a blog (in my opinion). I thought hosting companies offered that option as well. You could always have a programmer build you a basic one as well.

Simple tips to immediately "unblog" the looks of a WordPress install:

1. Remove the obviously bloggy elements from the templates -- date, author, edit options, time display, etc.

2. Set up your permalinks to end with ".html" or ".php" for all posts/pages.

3. Create PAGES and not POSTS -- or at least mostly pages, though you can easily use posts on an inside page to draw traffic.

4. Set up a static, i.e., always-the-same front page.

5. Remove everything related to "comments" and "commenting" -- OR re-title all the references to "comments" and "commenting" to "user reviews" or something like that.

Those steps alone are really pretty easy to do with most WP templates/themes. There are lots of other things you can "tweak" depending on the content and purpose of your site, and depending on your knowledge or lack of knowledge regarding PHP and CSS. (Personally, I'm just stumbling along with both PHP and CSS right now. LOL!)
    Generate more fake news.

Outsourced Program Manager Bill-MDN's Avatar
    I like ModX. It's a more advanced version of Etomite. I think it's super easy to integrate your designs. Just make your design in something like Photoshop, slice it up into xhtml/css (there are tons of services out there to do this for cheap), and use the Snippets/Chunks to display your content. Easy to integrate PHP. Super SE Friendly

If your site is a blog, then Wordpress is certainly a good choice with tons of plugins. Drupal also has a huge following.

I guess it all depends on what kind of site you are building. I've used Joomla (more so back when it was called Mambo) but it seems overly complex and a bit bloated, although lot's of people love it.

Definitely check out opensourcecms.com . You can test drive most of the popular CMS's out there without having to install them.

Joomla, Drupal et al are not the plug n' play everyone is looking for. Plus they aren't the fast and lightweight demanded by todays Internet user or whats needed to get that all important Google love.

I stopped being a tool builder several years ago, in favor of being a tool user. Why?.. Easier to use a pre-built wheel and customize than reinventing the wheel
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread