Fast way to create data feed from directory?
    Ok, I give up. For some reason I have it in my head that there is `a way' to create a column in a speadsheet based on a directory of images. I think this idea was based on a tool I tried out a few years ago, maybe it was webmerge or something. I can't remember now. Looking at webmerge now, it looks like I'd have to create a spreadsheet, and it would then create html files for me. But thats not exactly what I need to do.

If anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful. Basically I'm trying to find a fast way to create a spreadsheet without cutting and pasting individual product image URL's into it manually. or am I dreaming?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking, but if all you want to do is paste a list of image URLs into a spreadsheet, try pasting them first into notepad, then copy the notepad text and paste that into Excel.

ABW Ambassador
    What data are you working with? Do you need to strip the code away and leave just the basic image info?

You need to be a bit more detailed in what exactly you are trying to do. Your post is a bit vague

http and a telephoto
    If you want a list of images in a directory (local or a site you have access to), the way I do it is to go into WSFTP, open the directory and click on Directory Info which gives you a list of everything in the directory, save that as a text file, open it in Excel and import it as space delimited. Then delete the columns of other stuff, and viola, you have a list of files that are in that directory.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

OMG! Loxy you are some kind of genius! I've been trying to figure this out for ages, and that is the perfect solution. I wish i could give you a big hug- you saved me many hours of work.

THANKYOU SO MUCH !!

Thanks Rhea and Julian for helping too. Sorry if I wasn't very clear about what I needed to do.

I'm basically trying to create a generic datafeed with approx 2000+ products, but I don't want to die of intense boredom and RSI in the process.... I'm not very good at doing repetitive tasks for extended periods of time.

Just as an update....

That worked really well Loxy- thanks again for your help with that. At first I could not find the `get directory info' operaton in wsftp, so meanwhile I did some googling and found another way to do it (for local sites only though)

Its a little shareware program called ``Printfolder pro'. After installing it, when you right click on a folder you can select `printfolder' from the menu. It automatically creates list of the folder contents in .txt format.

The nice thing about it is you can deselect uneccessary information such as the date created beside the file name. Theres probably a way to do the same thing in wsftp though- I just haven't figured out how to do it yet.

http and a telephoto
    Get Directory is kindof hidden, I added it as a button. I'll look for that other program you found, that would be easier

Like I said, after I save the info in a text file, I open it in Excel and tell it that the file is space delimited which brings the extra info into columns that I can just delete.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread