Question Help me understand Cookie & Tracking
    On another post I posted that I thought some of my merchants were overwriting my affiliate cookie with their newsletters, however I have not named names until I am sure. So I have some questions so here is the first:

When I clink on my affiliate link (SAS Merchant) for example it has two cookies created:

administrator@MerchantName[1].txt - This file does not contain my SAS or Site Info that I can find.

administrator@shareasale[2].txt - This Files does contain my site info but I cannot find my SAS Id.

Which one of the above cookie is used to track my affiliate sales if the customer returns to their site directly?

In the SAS cookie, you should see your SAS ID. I just clicked an affiliate link and the first line is the merchant ID number, the second line is the affiliate ID.

The SAS cookie is the one that tracks the user and whether you earn a commission or not.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Thanks Greg two more questions if you do not mind.

1) I find reading the cookie in notepad hard to follow what editor do you suggest I use?

2) Is the cookie administrator@shareasale[2].txt used for more then one SAS merchant at the same time (hold tracking information for more then one SAS Merchant)?

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Just as an FYI - I'd rather we all not get into a discussion of exactly what cookie does what or which parts are which, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    Just as an FYI - I'd rather we all not get into a discussion of exactly what cookie does what or which parts are which, etc...
    No problem their Brian but as an affiliate I think I need some education about cookie and how they track. I pick SAS not to say their anything wrong with SAS, I like SAS and use your network when ever possible but I am just trying to get a understanding how they work and if my cookie gets modified by other means that effect my possible earning. I will be looking at other networks cookie as well.

Ok?

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I don't have a problem with you doing the research and looking into what you need to know... I would just prefer that we not have a discussion about it here because it is a public forum/ non secure / etc... It isn't top secret stuff, just would prefer not having it discussed in public forum.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread