YouTube - Launches Click-to-Buy
    Today, we're taking our first steps to providing YouTube users with this kind of instant gratification, by adding "click-to-buy" links to the watch pages of thousands of YouTube partner videos. Click-to-buy links are non-obtrusive retail links, placed on the watch page beneath the video with the other community features. Just as YouTube users can share, favorite, comment on, and respond to videos quickly and easily, now users can click-to-buy products -- like songs, books, and movies -- related to the content they're watching on the site. We're getting started by embedding iTunes and Amazon.com links on videos from companies like EMI Music, and providing Amazon.com product links to the newly released video game Spore(TM) on videos from Electronic Arts.

This is just the beginning of building a broad, viable eCommerce platform for users and partners on YouTube. Our vision is to help partners across all industries -- from music, to film, to print, to TV -- offer useful and relevant products to a large, yet targeted audience, and generate additional revenue from their content on YouTube beyond the advertising we serve against their videos.
    Source
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

My first reaction when I read this was that it's bad news for affiliates...but on second thought..

When YouTube really starts making money, the owners of pirated content will ramp up the fight.. doesn't matter if ads aren't on showing on their videos. This is an active fight that hasn't abated...

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...%7D&dist=msr_1

Second... is the average YouTube junkie looking to buy..? Seems to me they want it for free.

Who knows, maybe I'm just trying to find a positive spin...

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    lots of traffic there, watching this development closely...

Right, they just created new advertising Real Estate, could be a major coup for affiliates via GAN and for affs who publish vids a major platform with existing traffic.

Actually I was surprised more didn't comment on this yet ... could be HUGE!!!!
    Continued Success,

Haiko

http and a telephoto
    I think we are kindof stunned... not sure what it means and what to do with it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    So, merchants loading videos of their products on YouTube would now have to compete with folks advertising a similar product underneath? Or would YouTube then offer a 'premium' service where no advertising appears on your trailer? Hmmm.

Why would this be bad news for affiliates?

Anyway anyone else thik Google is full of crap and this is more of a way of Google trying to please the music and movie industry.

I bet they won't even be affiliate links but direct links to iTunes and Amazon.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Right, they just created new advertising Real Estate, could be a major coup for affiliates via GAN and for affs who publish vids a major platform with existing traffic.

Actually I was surprised more didn't comment on this yet ... could be HUGE!!!!
    I don't understand it exactly, I need it in layman terms. For example does it mean that an affiliate can:

Load up a video to YouTube and put their own affiliate links there?

Or is it just for YouTube partners.

Or is it, affiliate links but revenue sharing between Google/YouTube and the person who uploaded the video. So you don't get the full commission but split it with Google since you're using their platform to make money.

And reading it again, right now it's being added to the library of music videos, which is basically the big music companies for the most part and people who make their own music and it doesn't go into the specifics of the revenue sharing at all from what I can see. Then reading the comments in what was linked to, people were asking just Itunes and Amazon at this point, but not any other merchant.

It's links directly to amazon and itunes to sell music and movies.

Similar what SpiralFrog.com does and Imeem etc.

It's to comply with the Music industry etc, but Google doesn't want to admit that. Atleast that is what I think.

They tie in other products such as games etc and claim its relevant products to the video just to cover their butts.

But when they settle any issues with the RIAA and MPAA they will say hey we have this system in place it complies with what you guys want in a way.

ABW Ambassador
    Reading some more on it - http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3631103

That reads not so much for affiliates but more the big companies, will have to see. The examples they gave were EMI Music videos on YouTube uploaded by them linking to Amazon so you can buy the cd or Electronic Arts video on Spore linking to Amazon. Seems a little more merchant/big company centric. Not sure if they want a bunch of affiliates mass uploading videos.

Now if it was more anybody here could upload a video to YouTube and insert their own affiliate links for full compensation or even sharing it with Google, that would be some major news for affiliates. This could be major news for merchants and other media companies.

Well, the amazon links are affiliate links. Just not sure who is making the money off of it, YouTube or the company the product(s) in the video are showcased. It sounds like it is going to be the latter. If it is going to be both, how will the comms be split?

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Now if it was more anybody here could upload a video to YouTube and insert their own affiliate links for full compensation or even sharing it with Google, that would be some major news.
    I'm pretty sure that they'll allow for affiliates to code up vids to GAN merchants

In the interim -- let's see - first there will be Affiliate links on for itunes .... hmmmm all I can think of is "All your base"
    Continued Success,

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    "hmmmm all I can think of is "All your base"

And they said, we don't want your affiliate stuff in our base, per Boomer's recent thread. I know they didn't want affiliate stuff in Google Base or Google Products "formerly Froogle" I know it's a little different in that they have advertising/affiliate links with YouTube but think more merchant/company. I'm sure there would be some good videos but then they're going to have to deal with a whole influx of affiliate video spam, something else they're going to have to deal with.

I'm thinking more:
    Media companies.
    Merchants.
    YouTube Partners.
    Those who already have some good traffic.

More that kind of thing. Think they would be very selective on who they allow to do that.

If they swing the door wide open so everybody can upload videos with affiliate links. Major, major spam. People signing up with multiple accounts, pick a product, make 10 different videos on it, dominate the video search on it, get it all deleted, open new accounts, start the cycle over. It would be a mess. Can't picture them throwing that door open.
    Last edited by Trust; October 8th, 2008 at 12:50 PM.

All your base - as in relation to their competition (LS & CJ) - getting itunes
    Continued Success,

Haiko

My gut feeling on this is it would exclude 3rd party affiliates. A deal between YouTube & merchants..

It's like YouTube is using the platform to become an affiliate. Directly, without a network.

That's my take anyway...

Google Video DeCodder
    I have heard rumor that google has a video decodder that can watch the video transcribe it and determine what they are talking about. If google uses this in conjunction with the affiliate links they may be able to have really targeted links!

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    My gut feeling on this is it would exclude 3rd party affiliates. A deal between YouTube & merchants..
    Not to sidetrack, but my take is GAN will make the same push, just as adwords did on the one url policy....Oh wait they are already making that push as has already been pointed out by Gbase's gray definition. Why would YouTube be any different, the model has proven it'self, it's just that froogle failed so GAN is a new shell for the same nut, with content (YouTube) lining up as a new hot way to push the products. There are already a bunch of YouTube product demonstrations ranking pretty high in g's serps. Get your studios ready hahahaha.

For "selling via video" to work, they are going to need some major pipes to send all this traffic through! It's a good thing google has purchased all that dark fiber over the years

Yeah it's going to be Huge....agreed

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread