http and a telephoto
    Thread Count? (for bedding :) )
    Ok, a few weeks ago there was a discussion about mattresses. Tomorrow a new mattress is arriving that is the same as one that I slept on in Baltimore for a weekend that was dreamy or good for dreams

Since it's a Queen size mattress and I have never had a Queen size bed before I need to make a trip to get new bedding. I hear about thread count for sheets, and was told we are getting high count sheets, but I have *no* clue what is good! So....

What thread count sheets should I be getting?

(Rexanne and Missy are experts I hear!)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Here's a good article:

"Understanding Thread Count
    Finding Those Perfect Cotton Sheets Is Easier
    with a Little Thread Count IQ"

http://www.thefabricofourlives.com/H...-Thread-Count/

Here's another good article:

http://www.bedlinendirect.co.uk/acat...erminlogy.html

Satin can feel really good too
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I need to learn this stuff. I found out draperies and curtains were the same thing, I'm learning. The whole blanket, comforter, quilt, bedspread, coverlets..... I'm working on.

Just bought 600 thread ct for my son few months ago. Feels like silk and it's Egyptian cotton. We stayed at a nice hotel over the summer and they had those luxurious white sheets and we all liked the feel. I wanted to help my son sleep better at night so I bought them. What was I thinking buying white sheets for a boy?! Anyway he does like them though, with stains and all

ABW Ambassador
    just make sure they are made of cotton

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    just make sure they are made of cotton
    Well silk feels great & it is a natural fiber but it is expensive and not as readily available as satin (not a natural fiber).
    Julian is right that cotton sheets are best

Satin sheets can feel good though

Otherwise try to avoid a polyester blend (i.e. if the sheets look like a cotton & polyester blend).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    300 thread count minimum. You can find many at that thread count. Make sure you feel them before buying. If they feel soft and good, go for it.

I don't like silk sheets ... too slippery. LOL - But high thread count cotton sheets are luxurious and well worth the price.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Hi Loxly,

I worked for a bedding and quilt store for a while and as people here have said, go for 100% cotton. Stay away from a polyester blend as it is hot and can pill fairly quickly. As for thread count in all honesty don't go for the extreme. Some companies try to say they have 1,000 thread count and even if they are that much, you probably can't tell the difference between them and 400 thread count.

My advice: Everyone sleeps differently. So open the package and feel the fabric (as Rexanne said). Some people like their cotton soft and smooth, others like their cotton crisp and cool so it's all what you think feels best. Don't worry about the thread count. Go for what's most comfortable to you.

And have a nice sleep!
    Heather Boulding
    Affiliate Manager, AbeBooks.com
    hboulding{at} abebooks.com
    [t] 250.412.3247
    [URL=http://www.abebooks.com/docs/AffiliateProgram]AbeBooks Affiliate Program[/URL]

My wife and I swear by 600 TC cotton sheets, but in winter she likes to go with flannel sheets (which I hate because I get too warm).

Don't ever go lower than 200 TC otherwise it gets too rough unless you wash them a lot before using them.

One of my sons likes these Organic Bamboo sheets which have a thread count of something like 250 or something.

Wait a minute did I just talk about bedsheets?
    Last edited by nakedgamer; October 8th, 2008 at 09:07 PM.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer

What a minute did I just talk about bedsheets?
    Yes, yes you did

Thank you everyone! I have sheets for tonight, given to me by someone that said, "You can keep these, I like the higher thread count sheets I just bought, these are too "crisp" now... " Seems like a well kept secret, or something I just never had time to think about. It's been years since I bought sheets, they were just always "there".
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hopefully they will be comfortable for you, Debbie.

The wife and I tried 1200 TC sheets once. They were extremely expensive and when our youngest spilled chocolate milk on them... well let's just say it's not worth the expense.

I have to admit it's a world of difference when you want comfort and it's the one thing I never thought about when I was a bachelor. Walmart $9.99 sheets worked just fine for me back then. LOL!

Anything over 300 is considered a high count although I'm fine with 275 IF the brand is right.. Once upon a time a high count meant high end but as with so many other things these days you can't judge quality by numbers alone. If the threads themselves are inferior then even a high count won't be as good as a lower count with superior quality fabric plus poor quality on the production line can wreck havoc . I have a couple of favorite brands that never dissapoint but as this board is very sensitive about promotion I'll keep them to myself unless I get an IM or email requesting same
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    500 thread count for me. Get Wamsutta if you like your bank account intact. Wamsutta has lots of different 500 count ones...some of them are quite expensive, but there's also a "model" of theirs you can get for about $15-20 (per sheet, not a set) from BedBath&Beyond (BB&B also has the expensive ones).

I've never had cotton/poly pill on me, but even after lots of washes, poly never gets as soft as 100% cotton starts out, so I avoid it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread