In June, after a year of floundering, I was cruising along (creating pages, new sites, more traffic)while I watched my earnings rise.

Then about August things started to go south, earnings started to drop, with the same traffic.

--venting on--

I still have not figured out what has gone wrong, all the normal indicators tell me I should be earning twice what I was in June.

Somewhere along the lines I missed something and it has caused many a sleepless night.

I am considering trashing my main affiliate sites, and starting from scratch or selling the domains and spending my time fishing.

I will admit, this affiliate game can be thrilling and rewarding, but at some point and time my ride on this rollercoaster is going to end.

--venting off--

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

ABW Ambassador
    What type of affiliate sites do you have? My main site is an outdoor goods related site - that caters to warmer weather activities. I was expecting a slow down in both traffic and conversions in September and October. The September slowdown only partially happened, but October definitely slowed down (who wants to buy a fly rod in October?).

For this reason, I'm creating new sites to cover this fall period as well as integrating new products into my main site that will sell in the fall and early winter.

Jim

John

Why trash them? Why not just leave them to continue generating income, while you 'start from scratch' and build a second empire?

I have sites that range from automotive to outdoor gear to a mall. They should cover each other, but they are not....

I also have a bunch of content sites...

and the domain names are really good....

www.teampb.com

John a suggestion,

Maybe its time for a change? I took a very high traffic site and changed everything once my numbers took a serious plummet.

After the redesign and complete change, my numbers rose yet again.

I must admit everytime my numbers start to drop, I change design or add a new sticky.
    Yes its work but its like getting a second shot at a developed site.

Sandra,

I redesign about every 12 to 18 months, and I have seen it help.

I think my largest frustation comes from not being able to understand what has gone wrong.

John

www.teampb.com

John:

As I have said in the past, I have no personal interest in your teampb site (as I am an avid couch potato and avoid physical activity at all costs), but I still think it's a Grade A site. There seems to be great stuff there and it's easy to get around.

I guess all I'm saying is I can understand your frustration. Since we're content-centric and don't rely on affiliate revenue, I'm sure there's not much constructive that I can add.

We're constantly trying new ad vehicles in search of new revenue streams and that seems to have worked. Again, they are not affiliate-centered, so I'm not sure if I can offer any guidance there.

Geez, I'm rambling here. Stick with it. You have a great site (and I'm sure the others are equally strong).

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

John

Too many intangibles to figure out what went wrong

I understand your frustration. I think, in this business, you have to move fast, and be prepared to cut and run, and drop everything and start again if necessary. That's partly the appeal for me. The web-surfing public is fickle.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I definitely understand your pain. I went through something similar with one of my sites back in July and am starting to climb back up again. My issue was changing the navigation. However, you say your visitors are the same just clicks are down?

Jack Mitchell
    http://jacksretail.com

John,

Not sure if you are interested in this or not, but you could create a few serious sticky’s

A forum where people can discuss their adventures or what ever you think is best.

Your How To's are a great sticky yet you do not emphasis them? Those are my GREATEST SOURCES for TRAFFIC and sales. Place a rotating banner in-house so you can swap out promotions on those free content pages.

Here is a great trick for that (giggle every time I think about it) get the free version
    http://www.gadnet.com/bplus
    Now this is a banner exchange so when you set it up you can add links and images from other areas. Keep it in-house and you have your own banner exchange with yourself.

Excellent banner rotator

Now on to the next option you are missing “eCards” a good ecard system where people can upload their pictures of their extreme sport or fun, they can also record their voice to add to the sharing of the card.

When my numbers drop that’s how I add to the site and pick up those numbers, add 1 option, then watch your numbers sure enough DROP, and add another option.

But that’s just how I do it. If you want that ecards script let me know, they do offer an affiliate program.

I think it has a lot to do with competition. This is where this forum doesn't help. If you build a site to promote a specific merchant or product it can be great at first but two months later there are 20 similar sites ahead of you in the serps. In turn their sites get xeroxed by wannabies and you end up working to stay at a standstill.

Some of it does have to do with competition, but the SEO ones I can see, something else has happened and it alludes me.

I saw a huge spike in a few of my sites yesterday. Was it because of this post...HHHMMMM.

John

www.teampb.com

John,

I saw the same thing happen with my automotive content site about 8 months ago. I blamed it on all sorts of things, but no matter how I tried to address each of the things, it made no difference. 2000 some visits a day and narry a sale of affiliate products.

I considered doing a redesign because I have found (like others here) that a redesign seems to re-awaken buying interest in the user base - but I've been so darn busy with everything else...

So I stuck in an adsense on each page, I let Google decide what to display in the real-estate I set aside for them, and I've turned my attention to building new kingdoms in other areas.

Those little adsense boxes are amazing. That old site is now paying the bills for a lot of my up and coming sites.

Maybe I'll redesign that auto site someday, but for now, it's great knowing that the old dog still hunts.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

ABW Ambassador
    Changing things around and moving on to other sites are the best remedy most of the time.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread