When is it ok to warn about a merchant leak..?
    OK, I'm chomping at the bit, dying to "out" a merchant that I discovered has posted a preferred publishers "picks" on their site.

While that, in itself, would be fine, they actually have a co-branded publisher PAGE in their site. This is the merchant site... you can VISIT the affiliate site (via popup) and read all the great things they have to offer.

I contacted the merchant just yesterday.. how long should I wait..???

If anyone would like to PM me, I would be happy to share my findings. I just don't want to announce anything here until I have received a response from the merchant with respect to cookies, etc.

It's too soon to sound an alarm to others, but I would like a second opinion - while I'm tech savvy, I've never been good at understanding the cookie trail, so I can't test this myself.

Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    If it is an obvious leak, then it shouldn't ever be a problem naming the merchant on here so everyone can take a look for themselves

.. totally agree, Julian.. my only hesitation is if the publisher & merchant have some kind of separate agreement in place so no cookies are affected. Or something that I'm not aware of... which is why I wanted second opinions while I'm waiting for a response.

I just (personally) felt it would be premature to jump up & down in public, but patience has never been one of my strengths

I'd say there's no problem in posting leaks if it's done professionally and with restraint. Rather than jump up and down, simply state something like, such and such has AdSense/phone ordering/external links on their site and I sent them an email/called them. End of post.

X

If the merchant and publisher have a separate agreement, that link should be on the publisher's site not on the merchant's site. So it is obvious a leak to favor the publisher. Maybe the affiliate manager IS the publisher itself... :scratch head:

Maybe the affiliate manager IS the publisher itself
    I never thought of that. It actually might make sense then, but still confusing.

Ed, agree there is a proper way to do it - once I receive a response from the merchant. It's just not my style to post things in public ahead of an initial discussion (this goes to my real life practices too!).

I meant jumping up & down from the standpoint of "jumping the gun"... I'm never good at using the right saying at the right time

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    I never thought of that. It actually might make sense then, but still confusing.

Ed, agree there is a proper way to do it - once I receive a response from the merchant. It's just not my style to post things in public ahead of an initial discussion (this goes to my real life practices too!).
    That's your call.
    But once leaks are included in a merchant's site, they're public. So stating that you found them just provides a heads up for associated affiliates.
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    I meant jumping up & down from the standpoint of "jumping the gun"... I'm never good at using the right saying at the right time
    Funny! My wife is notorious for combining cliches together. We've had many laughs over the years about it.

X

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I would be surprised if you get a response from the merchant, especially if it is the am's own link.

I thoroughly agree that you should name the merchant - it is a serious problem that, as said, is unknowingly affecting the income of perhaps hundreds of affiliates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    My wife is notorious for combining cliches together. We've had many laughs over the years about it.
    Way back when I had a prof. for whom English was not his first language, but who loved such sayings, and not only could never get them right, but kept repeating them over and over. His favorite was "Don't put the donkey before the cart."
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I will post the link later today, in the proper forum, thanks all for the advice.

Re: sayings... I think my own mix-ups stem from the fact that both parents are from Hungary. I grew up surrounded by accents (rather heavy accents, in some cases), and actually pronounce some words incorrectly myself! I've had a good laugh with friends.. and have asked them to correct me at any time...

I have created a new thread with the link:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=111291

Thanks folks!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread