Is it wrong to bring visitors and customers from old/expired domains to your domain
    So most of you know I have been doing internet stuff for nearly 15 years, had many domains during that time and did quite well. Of course due to issues alot of those domains expired or were stolen from me before i could renew (which i'm pissed off about) however alot of those sites gotten me alot of traffic and customers. (which i just felt like it wasn't right, leaving them behind) and I have been trying to reunite them to my newest site. Which based on my research, traffic stats and knowledge it seems to be working and doing well.

The main issue is that one of these sites i owned in the past is owned by someone from a 3rd party country which sure seems to not really care about there site(which used to be mine) and seems to be changing his site all the time. and seems to be doing suspicious stuff that the search engines don't like.

Is it wrong telling my loyal customers, that the domain has moved to a different site and to come visit the new site.

I do mention that my site is no longer affiliated with that domain or we do not own that domain anymore.

What do others think about this? and what is your advice and thoughts? My customers and viewers mean everything to me, and I just feel like it won't hurt trying to get them back. I have noticed a increase in traffic on both sites from doing this. and I'm wondering if it will just cause my traffic to go down in a year or so. etc.

I re-read your post a few times now and am confused as to what you mean. Would you be notifying these loyal customers via an email list that you had built? Also, I would be interested to hear of how the domains were stolen.

-sfcom

hmm
    i'm talking about in seo (search engine optimization) though search engines. and i guess they weren't stolen from me, but i forgot to renew the site after it expired. it does seem interesting that both sites, the traffic seems to be increasing from it, based on tools that i use. i'm mostly wondering if it's wrong to be in search engines asking viewers to leave one site (which is still online but owned by another person) and come to my new site.

Hmmm... Well, I don't know. You mean mentioning the other site by name (either directly on your new site or in its meta tags)? I would say just build whatever you are building as best as you can and you will get the traffic you deserve in the end.

This kind of reminds me of the shampoo bottles in Wal-Mart---the store or low-end brands. "More shine than [brand x]" or "More body than [brand y]". If your old domains are undeveloped or poorly developed since they left your hands, that tactic may work fine. But, if they have (or plan on having) some nice sites with those domains, it may just bring attention to those and you might lose people that were going to be your new site's loyal customers.

-sfcom

ABW Ambassador
    "I would say just build whatever you are building as best as you can and you will get the traffic you deserve in the end."

What he said. Those old domains are gone. I think you should just move on, start fresh.

ABW Ambassador
    Why would you care about the old sites? They are gone, you should move on.

Build new sites and attract new customers. Out with the old, in with the new.

You have been doing internet stuff for almost 15 years?

Unless your loyal users opted in to receive e-mails from you I wouldn't contact them to come to your new site and not go to the old sites (which have changed). Now if you have a newsletter list or opt-in e-mail notifications then it would be fine and I think it's a good idea to let them know you don't own the domain anymore and to come to the new one.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    > and i guess they weren't stolen from me, but i forgot to renew the site after it expired.

Right. There's a BIG difference, isn't there?

Why even bother to declare you had domains stolen from you when you knew the truth?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    This is confusing!

If you no longer own the sites, how can you tell people to go from those sites to your new one from the old sites?!! Maybe I'm way naive but I don't get it.

If you have a double opt-in email list then go for it, send a blast and let them know you are now on another domain and give them the URL. That's absolutely your right.

I know I'm missing at least 50% of the gist of this thread ... I could make assumptions and carry on with my opinions but I'll wait to hear clear facts.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    From your posts, I assume you're using SEO to get results in SEs for when people search for the old sites. If they were loyal customers and the sites went down the tubes when you let them expire, I'm sure they've realized this and have moved on. I suggest you do the same.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread