Action Jackson - King of the World
    I was reading The Affiliate Master's Book and this came up a lot. As affiliate marketers not running content sites, how does pre-sell work?

Do you pre-sell? If so, what's the difference between that and selling?

Jack Mitchell
    http://jacksretail.com

I think you have to go to school for that or something. The truth is the ones that know what the term means don't make any money. They are only preselling the people to my site and I appreciate them for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    I think you have to go to school for that or something. The truth is the ones that know what the term means don't make any money. They are only preselling the people to my site and I appreciate them for it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I DISAGREE. Pre-selling DOES help conversions , especially personal testimonials. Or any list of Features , Advantages & Benefits the item has. The equivalent in the B&M world is the difference in success between the salesperson who always says, "Can I help You? ( the answer is 99.99999% NO ) versus the salesperson who makes the customer comfortable , and goes through the Features Advantages and Benefits of the product.

Heyder , do you REALLY think a "banner" will out convert or out click , a friendly low pressure text sales pitch?

Jack , you DON'T need a content site. By pre-selling your merchant products with a paragraph or two , you will actually be creating a "content" site versus a banner farm. It will also INCREASE your search engine rankings and traffic. Also that paragraph or two allows you to key in on keywords.

Toledo Swords - Collectible Heirloom Armory
    http://www.toledoswords.com

ABW Ambassador
    Pre-Selling works for me especially well, but probably because I have a heavy duty content site. Before putting in some pre-sell, had pretty low conversions. But the pre-sell provided the necessary "push" to get the sale (before they ran off to Heyders shopping site )

Jim

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    SALES "content" (ie, a sales pitch) is good. It's that nonsales kind that money is usually allergic to.

Unless the nonsales kind is next to AdSense, anyway. Then the allergy seems to be abated.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Isn't what you are talking about just a product description? Does that constitute pre-selling. I do agree with text ads and testimonials and Linda also mentioned coupons as a pre-selling tool

Jack Mitchell

>>Isn't what you are talking about just a product description?

Naw, not when I'm talking! A product description says nothing about what the merchant's like, their reliability, customer service, prices, etc. A good pitch not only describes the product, but tells why the customer should buy it at YOUR-Merchant.com! Try to find *something* good to say about them. Usually you can find a few good things to say about a merchant right on their site. (If there's nothing exceptional about them, keep your eyes out for a better merchant...)

This is different from the product description altogether--it's more like a description of what's good about the merchant! The point is to convince the person to pick YourMerchant over all the others online--and over the corner store, too.

>>Does that (a product description) constitute pre-selling.

IMO, most descriptions, as they are typically written, constitute a waste of disk space! But there are a few merchants that know how to write one and add salesmanship to it...

EXAMPLES:

Standard-style Description: Tent. 4-foot x 8-foot. 4 posts. Waterproof. Weight: 5 lbs. Origin: China. (As you can see, this is pretty dull and does nothing for the person who doesn't already know *exactly* what they're looking for!)

On the other hand, BackcountryStore, who knows how to SELL things, describes a tent like this:

http://www.backcountrystore.com/stor...ml?id=nP7yxaXq

An excerpt: "The Bibler I-Tent is super light, super strong, waterproof, breathable and easy to set up. The 2-person I-TENT was originally designed for the extreme mountain climber. This tent can be pitched on ledges that are no larger than your couch! Yet any outdoor adventurer will appreciate the design and features that make it the ideal tent at altitude. The I-TENT weighs an astonishing 3 pounds, 12 ounces, yet rolls up small enough to fit into the side pocket of many internal frame packs."

(For facts-only lovers, there's a chart below the description with just the specs.)

It's all in the presentation of the information.

When I describe something myself (instead of using the description that comes in the feed), I describe it in the second way. No boredom-induced Zzzzzz's should be emanating from my viewers!

Unfortunately, using the description in the feed is the only feasible way to describe 100,000 different products. The one thing I don't like about promoting so many things is being stuck with the typically awful merchant descriptions! But it'd take a staff of writers to rewrite all the junk within a reasonable amount of time...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Leader -

Absolutely Correct !

You have to "romance" the item and merchant.

Most merchants , including me , do a poor job of romancing the item on their site. Besides , the consumer EXPECTS the merchant to say how great his product is. BUT when the affiliate as an "independent" party tells how great the product and merchant are , it lends more credibility and increases sales.

The public LIKES to be TOLD where to shop and what to buy. They believe that if YOU think it's great , it just might be. YOUR testimonial confirms their decision. Selling is all PERCEPTION. It is NOT the best merchant , at the best price with the best product that is the most successful. It is the merchant who is PERCEIVED to have those attributes that succeeds.

The affiliate's job is to help create that perception.

Toledo Swords - Collectible Heirloom Armory
    http://www.toledoswords.com

Great posts guys! I think this is invaluable information and hope other people here get as much out of it as I have

Jack Mitchell

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I agree with above comments. My view is that affiliates need to optimize their change for a sale by stacking the deck in their favor.

People buy what they Want not necessarily what they need. Buying is an emotional process. Many merchants just provide the tech specs about the product with no emotion. So testimonials really help and coupons or anything else that helps the customer feel "comfortable" buying or "safe" for buying or "smart" for buying or "look good" for buying helps to stack the deck in your favor. (Notice these are all feelings.)

Study up with some Tony Robbins or Dennis Waitley tapes for some great psychology of selling info.

Another emotional pre-sell is to help the customer "see or feel" themselves with the new product. "Imagine" yourself up in the mountains in your new SUV. Picture yourself in front of the fireplace on a cold winter night in this soft, warm fleece robe from XYZ merchant. I'm being a little corny but you get the "picture!"

I created some short little text links for Irvs using these concepts. "Travel in Style with Luggage from Irvs" "Travel 1st Class with Luggage from Irvs". These subtely conjure up the image of how good you will look and feel with new luggage for your trip - Instead of the standard - buy now, lowest prices text link.

Read some back issues of http://www.grokdotcom.com for some great info on increasing conversion rates.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    <FONT size="1">Amazing Socks::ABCLeads::4LowRates::ChatDollars::ConsciousOne::EveryTicket::Organize-Everything
    DentalPlans::Irv's Luggage::Executive Essentials::IntelliContactPro::zZounds::RoadLoans</font>

[This message was edited by Catalyst on November 04, 2003 at 12:02 PM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Good posting crew as it points to having to over come the short comings of most merchants who just throw up 50,000 SKU's and hope some sell. It also points out the diferences in the value-add affiliate targeting and motivating the shoppers so the "tricks for clicks" guys don't snatch them at the point of sale from you.

Golden rule for affiliate survival still is .." WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TODAY TO PUT VALUE INTO A CLICK ...from a shoppers viewpoint???

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Here's a radical tack: Target BUYERS who have ALREADY DECIDED to BUY and who are just looking for a PLACE to BUY.

------------------------------
    "Beware the man who preaches respect for you but does not demonstrate it. Ask him to show his face before you bare your back to his blade." ~ George Hayduke

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    "Here's a radical tack: Target BUYERS who have ALREADY DECIDED to BUY and who are just looking for a PLACE to BUY."

Not a problem for that particular product merchant if someone cares enough about the buyer to send them directly from point A to B's ecatalog/shopping cart. Problems arise when some buttholes make the shopper go on a wild goose chase trying to just set their return day cookie.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Here's a radical tack: Target BUYERS who have ALREADY DECIDED to BUY and who are just looking for a PLACE to BUY. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! Works for me.
    My approach summed up.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chief_Beef:
    Here's a radical tack: Target BUYERS who have ALREADY DECIDED to BUY and who are just looking for a PLACE to BUY.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That IS my approach! The sales spin is to let the buyers know that MyMerchant IS the "place to buy!"

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Ditto what Leader said, she's usually right..

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

Most people shopping on the web are doing comparison shopping. They bounce from site to site trying to gather information about similar products from different manufacturers (or different models in one manufacturer's line) and with any luck your site MIGHT be the one they decide to actually take the plunge at. Or maybe not.

What I find works best is to show them 3 similar items that solve the same problem (2 person tents for example), usually all from same merchant, and then I make one particularly attractive, and the other two slightly less so. This sates peoples' need to feel they have comparison shopped and chosen the best product for their need. You won't get impulse buyers this way, but you will get people to commit to making a purchase while on YOUR site.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread