Temporarily Off Line Question...
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new here at Share A Sale, could you please tell me what Temporarily off Line means? I get the drift of it after reading all the posts, but I was wondering if it could ever mean that the merchant has dropped you? I'm wondering because I have a merchant that has been off line for days now, and I have read the posts for Temporarily off line and the merchant hasn't been mentioned there.
    Thank you for your help,
    Renee'

ABW Ambassador
    it just means that they are temporarily ofline. Nothing to do with if you have been dropped from their program

Temporarily can, in some instances, mean a long time. Check when the merchants last commissionable sale was. I've got one that's been "Temporarily Offline" for the last 5 or so months. Last sale thru an affiliate was 5/09.

Most frequently, "temporarily offline" means that the merchant's account at ShareASale has been depleted (by commissions and/or fees), and they have not replenished the account to provide a source for payment of additional commissions. Unfortunately, some merchants don't set up auto-deposit, or fail to react if their primary credit card is restricted (over-limit, closed, etc.). Often, the "real problem" is that the merchant hasn't updated their email address with ShareASale, and the email notifications are going to an invalid address.

Please note that "payment" is NOT the only reason a merchant may go "temporarily offline." ShareASale can switch a merchant to "temporarily offline" at the merchant's request -- for example, if the merchant believes there is a problem with tracking or with fraudulent or unethical affiliate activity, or their web site goes offline, this is one option to consider. I assume that in rare cases, SAS might push a merchant "temporarily offline" because of problems with tracking (e.g. if SAS determines that the merchant isn't tracking and reporting affiliate transactions, they might push the program "temporarily offline").

Many ShareASale merchants (even some of the very best) experience "transient" temporarily-offline events. I generally don't consider it a problem if a merchant is offline ONCE for up to 2 days, or if a merchant is offline only a few times for just a few hours each. I look at the "uptime history report," which usually shows how often and how long a merchant was offline. I generally view merchants as "defunct" if their "temporarily offline" status is either "persistent" or "repeated."

My posting of "lists" of "apparently defunct" (persistently- and repeatedly-offline merchants) SAS merchants led to extensive discussion here, which in turn led to substantial changes by ShareASale, and also led to the creation of the "Official - List of Merchants temporarily offline on ShareASale" discussion thread. (And my actions might also help explain why I am here at home, this weekend.)

Alas, the "uptime history report" seems to be incomplete for some merchants, even for recent time periods. (At one time, merchants were displayed as "temporarily offline" after a program was formally closed by the merchant -- SAS seems to have fixed this, now showing "closed" as the status for those merchants.)

Some earlier discussion threads about this:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=99657 ("official" thread)
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=100706 (January 2008)
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=98505 (December 2007)
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=98257 (December 2007)
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=97288 (November 2007)

If you see a merchant "Temporarily Offline" that is not in the Official list, it is courteous to add that information so others are aware of the status.

Thanks Everyone for the help,Mark, Thanks for giving me all those threads to read.
    I still have a question tho, Someone mentioned in one of those threads about when a merchant drops you, but where do you find this information?? I was really concerned because I have 4 offline right now. Thanks to, 2busy, for letting me know to report on the Official list, I did.
    Im new here, Thanks for all the support.
    Renee'

I believe that if a merchant "drops" you, you should receive an email indicating that your application was declined. I think this is the email you get even if you've been an affiliate of the merchant for many months, but the merchant removes you from their program.

I believe that the subject of a "declined" email is always:
    Subject: [merchantname] Affiliate Program Application DECLINED
    But the body of the message is often blank (it's up to the merchant to write the body text, and some don't bother).

I used to have a separate email folder for merchants who "declined," but recently I switched this so that any "declined" emails fall into the same folder as the emails regarding each "Change to Program Agreement for the [merchantname] ShareASale Affiliate Program"

Hi Renee'
    If you venture out into the rest of ABW (try clicking on "New Posts" at the top of the page) you'll find a place to Introduce Yourself and get to know some of the other folks who come by. There's tons of information out there, although SAS stuff will always be here in the SAS forum.
    I know it can be a little tricky finding your way around in here when you come in from SAS. I never found the "Introduce Yourself" forum until I had been in here for weeks (Duh!)
    Make yourself at home, and welcome (unofficially) to ABW!

On the top of Activity Summary page, there is a blue stip where it says quit, Approved?...
    If a merchant drops you after being with them, would they write declined, or something to that effect, under approved?? Mark I will watch my emails more carefully now for a blank message. Thanks for the heads up on the commissionable sale, beachcom, I see that one of them had a sale yesterday. 2busy, Thanks for the welcome, I really appreciate all the help.
    Renee'

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread