Affiliates using quickbooks...
    I've decided to move from my discombobulated Excel system to Quickbooks.

Do you enter each network as a customer? Like a CJ customer, a Linkshare customer, a SaS customer? What is the best way to do this?

It seems needless to enter each merchant as a customer when all the merchants on a given network will pay with the same check/dd payment.

For tracking I'd find a way to separate merchants - either as a customer, category or subcategory. It would give you a good idea as to how much you are making for each one. Important information. I'd do the same for expense tracking.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

you could enter each company who is cutting you checks as a client (or customer). if networks are cutting checks, i don't see a need to enter each program individually for quickbooks sake.

The proper way would be create an account for each network and each independent merchant that uses no network. Then record each payment as an income transaction individually, be it by independent merchant or network. When the payment from a network is the sum of a number of merchants, you could create sub accounts under the network account to track that network's individual merchants.

X

Wouldn't the payment from a network ALWAYS be the sum of a number of merchants?
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Yes, unless you earn commission from just one merchant on that network...
    Last edited by Ed Byerly; October 11th, 2008 at 03:39 PM.

X

Ok thanks.

And one other thing...you did choose advertising/pr as the business type right? Because it sort of complicates the whole thing since I never have to send anyone invoices...and that seems to be the crux of that whole setup.

No. Because we have such a mix of income channels, consulting, network services, web hosting, product sales, Internet services, and affiliate marketing, I've set up a lot of custom QB accounts to assign transactions to...

X

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread