Hidden backend sales and Hidden OTO costs
    Yes it does look professional; but How about some affiliate voices to change the industry instead of one-liners just to get your sig up?

I for one am not impressed with the unending spate of hidden OTO and backend sales. The fantastic pscho babble sales letter says you are getting some remarkable benefits to a product, some you really have got to have, to advance your online business

e.g the new software widget that grabs your competitors best converting keywords in your niche and sets up an automatic Adwords campaign and tracking system, that already makes the SuperAffiliate 7 gazillion dollars? Not only that it also gets Angelina Jolie's Cellphone and dials her up for you haha ha ha ha! the price is reasonable at $67.00 USD and it is the only one that can deliver these special benefits.

You just got enough spare cash from your budgeting this month to just about cover it. You decide to buy it because you really need Angelina's number (for the girls it's Brad's number?) 'cause it really is going to ramp up your online business and profits (you'll feel good and work harder?

When you finally purchase and get into the members area, you are hit with an OTO that you will never see again? and the cost is an extra $47.00 USD that you don't have? and worse! this is the product that actually has Angelina's Mobile number dialing software in it !

You have already spent everything you had on the front end product and the "must have product" is the upsell! (argggghhh) You realise you have been misled, the sales page is pack of half-truths, it is a hidden cost you were never told about and you will not be able to afford it for three to four weeks, as your budget does not allow it! While you are seething at the audacity of it all, you are thinking if only these ##$@##'s had told you upfront you would have saved enough to afford the whole package!

Then to add insult to injury, as you click off the page in disgust; you get hit with a pop up? for a mere extra-hidden-cost of another $97.00 USD you can upgrade to the "Platinum" Package. This has the full software package and not the "lite version" you bought in the freakin' front end! You did the math right? over $200 bucks! and you are forced to buy because the "advanced Marketing system" is in the backend.

It gets worse, the merchant then goes on to explain how thoughtful he was in your interests. He did it this way because he did not want you to suffer unduly and he did not want the product to be over priced for you? Hello? you still pay $211.00 anyway! What's the difference? ($144.00 USD you don't have- actually.) You may be lucky, hopefully they may still available for sale by then

I have had one Vendor and team that told me up front and they explained in the video. The upsell was full of advanced methods of making money that were so easy to implement, they were unique and cutting edge and would ramp up your sales in uncharted markets no end.

Thank you Saj and Alex Goad of Affiliate Payload! I was able to save up and get the whole package, before the advanced packages were all sold out? And it was everything they both promised and a whole lot more! I am wrapt! The point being; you do not have to Market with Hidden costs, suspect sales page promises and/or hide anything. If you are any sort of Marketer you would know your advance packages and one time offers (OTO's) sell themselves? the stats tell you 40 to 50 % on the backend.

So here is a lesson in how not to market and how to market successfully. hopefully these people may get the message and I will not get stung again for the 9th or 10th time and sometimes lose out. This is really annoying because you are left stuck with half a product that does not cut it... I am still waiting for the Software to give Angelina a call...

Cheers Phil.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I have no idea what you're trying to say. Can you boil it down to a few succinct sentences? You sound like Mike's parrot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratplayer1
    So here is a lesson in how not to market and how to market successfully. hopefully these people may get the message and I will not get stung again for the 9th or 10th time and sometimes lose out. This is really annoying because you are left stuck with half a product that does not cut it... I am still waiting for the Software to give Angelina a call...

Cheers Phil.
    Phil, unfortunately I think you've missed the lesson entirely. The real lesson is that a fool and his money are soon parted. No offense, but have you considered the fact that if you've been "stung again for the 9th or 10th" that it's time to reconsider your modus operandi.

It sounds to me that you are buying info products that all promise to give you the secret to becoming a successful affiliate and earning riches beyond your wildest dreams. Well think about it, have any of these really worked for you (if so, why are you still buying them?)? Are you making the kind of money that they promised on their squeeze pages? If you are, good for you. Unfortunately the vast majority of newcomers that invest in these products never earn enough to justify their cost. What I find interesting is that these products create a whole new market of affiliates selling to would be affiliates. Go figure.

I'm not saying that all of these products are without value. However, they are seldom worth what you pay for them and as it's been said many times here on ABW, you can usually find the same information free if you spend the time to search for them.

Did you know that scam artists often target previous victims of scams? Wanna know why? Then buy my new e-book - A suckers Born Every Minute. Sorry, I couldn't resist. The reason is that they have already proven to be susceptible to scams, hence the constant up-sell. Do yourself a favor, spend a little more time here on ABW searching for your answers, it won't cost you a penny and we won't spam you with our "latest OTO".

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thanks rematt, I thought that was what I read but wasn't too sure. Another WA victim complaining at how "Affiliating" is being done.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Did you know that scam artists often target previous victims of scams? Wanna know why? Then buy my new e-book - A suckers Born Every Minute.
    Uh, where do I find it?? Sounds like it could be just what I need to finally make money at this affiliate marketing thing.

THIS COULD BE, FINALLY, THE ONE E-BOOK WE ALL NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Uh, where do I find it?? Sounds like it could be just what I need to finally make money at this affiliate marketing thing.

THIS COULD BE, FINALLY, THE ONE E-BOOK WE ALL NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gary I'm glad to hear you say that (metaphorically of course). Go to my new site www(.)bump-my-head-why-don't-you(.)com and enter coupon code "DUH" for a special discount.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    When will people learn.

The only people who benefit from these kind of programs are the ones that operate the scheme.

No wonder so many people fall for those Nigerian scams. People really are so gullable

Not sure that a backend sale or upsell can be categorized as a scam. It is a widely used affiliate marketing tool. Now I have no upsells on my products but have no problem with marketers using backend sales.

At the end of the day you can take it or leave it. And if the front end product is not what you expected, get your money back
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by niche
    Not sure that a backend sale or upsell can be categorized as a scam. It is a widely used affiliate marketing tool.
    When it's used the way the OP described it, I think it's a scam, but you be the judge.

Imagine if you will a squeeze page that promises you top 10 rankings on Google. You buy the product and instead of the promised secrets to SERP immortality, you receive a basic introduction to SEO with the explanation that what you purchased is the lite version and that if you want the true guide to being a search engine God you can buy the full version for only $XXX more. You believe it, so you bite. Now they have a pretty good idea of who they're dealing with. They've pegged you as a sharp cookie and now just because you're you, they make you another "unbelievable" offer. And then another one and another one and.....the problem is that you never received the product that you originally (thought) you bought.

You get the idea. After 862 e-mails and more offers than you can click a mouse at, you decide it's time to opt out. Great, they respect your right not to receive any more messages from them. Hopefully you respect their right to share or sell your e-mail address to a few (dozen) of their business partners (I know, they said they wouldn't, but they also said you'd have top ten rankings by now...didn't they).

So finally no more e-mails....from them. Of course they're business partners are filling your in-box with so much SPAM that you're tempted to change your e-mail address. But all is not lost. You see another offer that you know for sure will change your life, you grab a credit card and it all starts all over again.

The problem is that none of the products live up to what they originally promised. It's always "you need this last piece to complete the puzzle". In most cases they really don't have anything of substance to offer and by the time some buyers realize that, they've spent a substantial sum of money.

So again, you be the judge....

-rematt

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    ...So finally no more e-mails....from them. Of course they're business partners are filling your in-box with so much SPAM that you're tempted to change your e-mail address...
    -rematt
    It really makes you wonder how often companies transfer or sell your personal info to an offshore company who doesn't have to pay attention to the USA can-spam laws, or at least the penalty part. Even if they get blacklisted, they just set up shop elsewhere and continue business as usual.

-sfcom

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread