A disturbing thread atSlashdot about the ad blocker now being turned ON by default in Norton AntiVirus 2004.

It suggests various cloaking mechanisms for banner ads to get round this. Needless to say, if this really is the case then Symantec are treading on thin ice.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Cant get into that site. My IP address is banned.

Someone sharing my IP has been naughty I guess.

Download Site Map Creator Today

Try having a look through MegaProxy.
    ________

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    This is very disturbing!

ABW Ambassador
    We have Norton Antivirus 2004 on all our office computers and there are two options, protect against "spyware" and "adware". They are both checked by default.

These two items are what you are referring to. This problem is they do not effect tracking of sales to CJ, Linkshare or Befree. Further they have not blocked any of the banners we display for all three major networks. We have done scores of test purchases at linkshare via our links, CJ, Befree and Amazon and all have tracked with no issues whatsoever.

I don't believe that these networks qualify as spyware or adware people and thus are not affected...I know they are not because of the test purchases, over a dozen of them in the last month.

Perhaps this is only to block banner ads exclusively, but oddly enough we have tested this on a dozen affiliate sites and our own and all banners from all networks display correctly and click through to the appropriate pages.

Has anyone else tested this or seen anything odd with Norton Antivirus 2004?

The Slashdot thread indicates that NAV2004 is blocking text links too.

________

ABW Ambassador
    No links are being blocked whatsoever, in fact no banners from the big three affiliate networks are blocked on any of our sites or any other affiliate site we have viewed.

I don't know where this information is coming from but it would be a good thing if others could verify this as we have to disprove it as it is not true.

ABW Ambassador
    I just read this on another message board.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Actually, now that I reread this, that Slashdot article is erroneous - I checked NAV 2004 when I first realized that Norton Internet Security 2004 had this ad blocking feature. But it does not appear the 2004 NAV has the ad blocking feature in it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's Norton Internet Security 2004, not Norton Antivirus 2004.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Just just the worlds way of not having to say hello to the Ad Whores out there. Amazing some folks, and the opportunists like Norton, don't take kindly to releasing 1 million hungry mosquitoes into a store that sells Raid or OFF is smart advertising.

That's it networks. Keep begging down with the gorrilla marketers and you best hone up on your burger flipping skills. Learn the meaning of this sentence....

WHTA HAVE YOU DONE TODAY TO PUT REAL VALUE INTO A CLICK....from the consumers viewpoint??

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread