Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is Adsense Losing Potential $$$?
    On my one and only affiliate site, I have a mixture of in text affiliate links, affiliate banners, and adsense ads. I had the thought the other day that providing adsense might actually cause me to lose a potential commission, and perhaps I should drop adsense, or severely limit its' use.

Say I write a nice article that subliminally promotes a product, but also throw in some adsense on the page; good chance the adsense will be clicked instead of the link I REALLY want them to click.

Any thoughts on using adsense with affiliate marketing.

GW

I don't use adsense on my sites.

Why would you want to get 1 or 2 cents from G for a click when you might get a $20.00 commission from a merchant for a click on your affiliate link?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Have you tried searching the forums? I know in the years I've been here, there have been many discussions about Adsense and affiliate marketing.

As I recall from recent rounds of such discussion, people are leaning pretty much against the idea of using Adsense on your affiliate marketing product pages -- because many say they do "leak" traffic away from buying. Others say it's no real issue for them.

In recent months, the discussion has gone toward perhaps using Adsense on mostly-content-oriented pages but keeping it off the product pages.

Personally, I get very little from Adsense. I generally tend to run only an Adsense link display in footers most times.

But I have no really strong, worthy opinion on the idea.

The search function here can become your best friend for such issues!
    Generate more fake news.

That's what I thought. My only clicks so far have been for adsense and Amazon. The adsesne clicks did average .60, but not exactly where the money is, unless I could get a couple hundred per day.

GW

ABW Ambassador
    My thoughts are to test it out. You can ask opinions on this and they'll be all over the place or you can actually find out how it works. That's the best way. I don't use it on my main site but it works ok on one of my niche sites.

"Why would you want to get 1 or 2 cents from G for a click when you might get a $20.00 commission from a merchant for a click on your affiliate link?"

I've never had a click pay that low. I've had some around 10 cents, have had some for a few bucks every now and then. Using that example, what if you got $20 commission for evevy 100 clicks and 20 cents for every click on the Adsense ad. Works out the same.

Again, test it out and know for sure.

"The adsesne clicks did average .60,"

That's actually pretty good. Go thru the merchants at CJ and see how many have an EPC over $60. Most would be under that.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    When the economy isn't going well, many people are browsing. you're more likely to get a click than a sale when people are afraid of losing their jobs or retirement income.

ABW Ambassador
    Will a Mod move this to the AdSense forum?

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261

I haven't been very hep on AdSense although I do display a small two link text ad way down at the bottom of product pages. I get 1¢ and 2¢ clicks and occasionally one over a dollar. But I put it there as just a last ditch effort to get something when the product offerings don't temp the visitor. It actually is more useful to me for tracking as it provides a quick and dirty method of monitoring total impressions for the product pages without going into traffic reports. I keep the AdSense overview page up all day and refresh it to see the count.

Perhaps as the economic climate worsens it would be worth developing some AdSense targeted campaigns to tap in on all those looky loos...

X

Adsense and Affiliate Marketing are inversely proportional. That of course makes sense. I have it one one site where it's mostly content and much older. On my newer sites, I mostly have affiliate links. The advantage of the older site is that I don't have to worry about putting in links, updating them etc. l think your Adsense earnings will depend on what your market/niche is so it's hard to say. Also how much traffic you get.

In the past few days I have seen earnings go up not because people are clicking around more ,because ctr is about the same, but maybe there is a bidding war going on and ecpm has gone up, double up. So I think you need to find the mix that works best for your site. I am trying to add some more affiliate links in to see if I can find the optimum way to monetize but I think I will still keep the Adsense in. It is an income that has been steady and reliable.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    You have to consider what the "Value" of your site is to both you and your visitors. If your site has value to the visitor as a "how to" site, then Adsense will not lower your value to the visitor and provides an easy way to monetize your site. They might check out a product advertised, but more than likely they will return to your site.

If your site is a product/sales based site, then Adsense may be counterproductive in your effort to make a site with repeat visitors. Once they click on the Google ad, they are gone, possibly for good, before seeing all your site has to offer.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Trust nailed it. Test it. If your site setup does not allow you to easily test something like this, you have bigger problems than if you should use adsense or not.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I use Adsense on content pages but never on a page where I'm trying to sell products. I'd rather be selling products than redirecting my visitors to another site other than the merchants I'm promoting

I think Adsense is ideal on content or otherwise non-monetized pages.

And my average Adsense click only averages 3 to 5 cents which is a far cry from what it was when they started so not at all worth losing sales over.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Adsense is great for content rich sites, but if you are trying to make sales with affiliate marketing it's going to hurt your sales a bit. Even if just one or two people click on a link that takes them elsewhere then you are losing potential revenue.

I feel people need to make up their mind and use either/or but not both. IMO.

I'm glad I read this article. For some reason I am never able to find GOOD info on opinions on AdSense. I will be testing this before the month is out on my blog and see what I come up with.

Smile I used to make a fair bit
    With a previous site that I built (one of those "did it for a laugh and it took off" sites) I was making upwards of £250 a month just with Adsense, but I sold that site (wish I hadn't) and now with three adsense "enabled" sites, I'm lucky to get £20 a month :-(

A question for you. Has anyone ever run an Adwords campaign, that pays for itself with Adsense Clicks? Can it be done? Often wondered...

AdSense and Sales
    We have noticed several of our affiliates that have built adjunct sites that are little more than AdSense front ends.. Every link, search, etc. are AdSense with display ads being 100% affiliate programs. In other words, every click outside of getting to a different page in the site is either PPC or CPS (or CPL, CPC, etc.).

Not sure how some of them get their traffic or even if I like having them as an affiliate. But so far they do convert well from the Merchant perspective.

I did a test with several sites to see if Adsense really hurts conversions. I removed all of the above the fold Adsense for two weeks. My conversion rate didn't change at all, but I made less money due to fewer clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I did a test with several sites to see if Adsense really hurts conversions. I removed all of the above the fold Adsense for two weeks. My conversion rate didn't change at all, but I made less money due to fewer clicks.
    I would think CTR would be the indicator rather than conversion rate.

X

I pulled most AdSense ads off my sites when most of what I saw there was ads for ringtones, screensavers, smileys, etc. I didn't want my shoppers clicking on their Free Download offers. I went through the steps to block a few but it is an endless process and just easier to pull out the ads.
    I'm sure there's a better solution if you can take the time to work on it.

Affiliate programs don't pay us per click, so I check conversions not clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    I would think CTR would be the indicator rather than conversion rate.

I've always combined AdSense with my affiliate links and I've always got a steady flow of earnings from both. It mostly depends on how well you engage users at the end of the buying process. If you offer the lowest prices and best deals they'll hopefully make their purchase. If your offers aren't competitive enough they can leave through your AdSense links. The way I see it they weren't going to buy anyway if they clicked an AdSense ad. So in the end AdSense and affiliate links compliment each other.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Conversion rate is a ratio of click throughs to conversions and would probably remain the same whether your CTR went up OR down. So in effect that wouldn't tell you anything about changes resulting from moving AdSense down the page. You would want to look at the ratio of click throughs to impressions (CTR) to see how the change effects your campaign. I know that you know all this stuff. I just don't understand why you would look for changes in conversion rate.

X

The way I see it they weren't going to buy anyway if they clicked an AdSense ad
    Affiliates often get offended when merchants have adsense on their pages. Calling them leaks.
    I don't know why this effect would be any different on affiliate sites.

Also I think that adsense may have a negative effect on sites that doesnt always show up in day-to-day stats. (# of return visitors etc).

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    Also I think that adsense may have a negative effect on sites that doesnt always show up in day-to-day stats. (# of return visitors etc).
    True. What if AdSense shows them a site that they like better and never come back...

X

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    True. What if AdSense shows them a site that they like better and never come back...
    Then your work is cut out for you, gotta make your site better than the competition.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast