Moving My Office (again)
    Well, I'm keeping busy this weekend: I'm moving my office from an upstairs apartment to a downstairs apartment. (My wife is an apartment manager, so we must live on-site.) When I moved here four years ago, I rented the 2-bedroom apartment upstairs to use as an office. This past spring, our next-door neighbor moved to a nursing home (and sadly, passed away last month), and when the unit was ready to rent, we decided that it would be more convenient to move my office from the apartment upstairs to the apartment next door.

Moving my office is a frequent occurrence. While I lived in my previous 2-bedroom "bachelor" apartment (from 1991 to 2004), I moved my office from the upstairs spare bedroom to the dining nook downstairs, and then back upstairs, and then back downstairs. After moving from my "bachelor apartment" to our "upstairs" office-apartment, in the past 4 years I've moved my "main office" in the upstairs apartment from the living room, to the large bedroom, and later to the smaller bedroom.

And now I'm moving everything from upstairs to downstairs. So far, I've moved two desks, computer, monitors, four large bookcases (and their contents), two small bookcases (and their contents), two filing cabinets (and their contents), ten heavy file-storage boxes, and some miscellaneous boxes. I'm probably 20% finished with the move.

It's good exercise -- and it's fascinating to notice what junk and clutter I have accumulated. It's also a nice opportunity to re-organize all my office technology (and especially all the cables).

For the past 18 years, I've never had to suffer noise from people living upstairs from me -- but I'm already noticing that my new upstairs neighbors seem to walk around a lot.

so with your wife being the apartment manager do you get to move your data connection yourself? (a lot of apartment complexes have central closets with all the phone/cable connections) or do you still have to call the phone/cable company?

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    -- but I'm already noticing that my new upstairs neighbors seem to walk around a lot.
    The nerve of those people walking around like that.

CCBerries asked: > "so with your wife being the apartment manager do you get to move your data connection yourself?" <

I recently cancelled my office DSL connection, and instead I am wirelessly sharing our home phone and our cable-modem connection, so there's no wiring to change.

wireless does make things easier, but for me it's always been more about the security side of things.

For some of the employers/projects Iíve worked with wireless was not secure enough (with good reason), and since the wiring in this house is so hacked up I just end up running a 50 ft cat 5 cable wherever I need it at the time.

I really need to re-wire this place, there are so many splices in the basement that the DSL only works on one jack in the house.

At least the move is a good time to thin out the junk..

Skip

One thing I've noticed in the past couple of moves is how much Cat5 (network) cable, telephone cord, and coax cable I have, along with a huge collection of other cables & cords & power strips. During the last move, I sacrificed four or five old keyboards, two computers (my $4,000 server from 1998 and my $5,000 server from 1999, both given away free after nobody would buy them), and a huge color laser printer (which went to recycling, along with a TV and an assortment of other stuff).

I can't bring myself to sacrifice much of this "junk" because I'm sure that as soon as I give it up, I'll need it for something. (During the last move, I gave away a huge cabinet which I'd bought to house that color laser printer and the servers -- and of course I really wish I had it now, as it would have fit perfectly in the new office configuration.)

the oldest 'junk' here is an apple IIe with external power supply since I used to overheat it from running so many cards (memory, discs, plotters, printers, touch pads....), and cables.. RS232, SCIC, HPIB...just about everything. Too much junk...

Some school systems (or private schools) accept donated 'old' computers... so you'll at least get some donation value for them. For the rest of the junk I've found just putting them on a table out by the street will save a trip to the dump/recycler. They even took a table that had a 8 inch hole in the middle of it from a fire.

They real problem here is I have too much space so there is nothing pushing me (and no one nagging me) to clean out the clutter.

Skip

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread