Unhappy All Bad Links
    I just started with Popshops and have 5 so far. But this last one I just finished, none of the links work.

Is there something i could have done wrong?
    I could see s few not working, but not all of them.
    Takes me a long time to make a shop, can hardly see those little pictures.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualwhispers
    I just started with Popshops and have 5 so far. But this last one I just finished, none of the links work.

Is there something i could have done wrong?
    I could see s few not working, but not all of them.
    Takes me a long time to make a shop, can hardly see those little pictures.
    Hi, virtualwhispers, and welcome to ABestWeb.

I'm a little confused when you say the links are not working.

If you mean the product page does not come up, then:

The best way to try to get all active products, is before you add a product to a shop, make sure you click on the landing page link, for each product. If the product page comes up ok and it shows available and in stock, you should be ok for that product, at least for a while. If it shows not available, out-of-stock, or a not found or home page comes up, then it is inactive already, and you should not add it to your shop.

If no active merchant page at all comes up, then:

Make sure that you only add products from merchants whose affiliate program you have already joined, and in networks you are active in. Joining Popshops only gives you the tools to create shops - you also have to apply to and be accepted into each merchant's program in order to use their links, in PSs, or from the network interfaces.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Hi AffiliateHound,

Thank you for getting back to me. I signed up to all affiliates.
    The only one that didnt get back to me is Google. I sent them
    an email but they wont respond.

I'll have to do it again, maybe I clicked on some Google links.
    I might have forgot to filter it.

Lightbulb
    I signed up to all affiliates.
    The only one that didnt get back to me is Google. I sent them
    an email but they wont respond.
    "signed up to all affiliates."

did you mean networks? takes just a little more . . . just in case -- should have been signed up to the individual merchants in the networks.

Yes, I signed up to all the Networks except Google.

Commission Junction:

LinkShare:

Google Affiliate Network (Join): Signed up days ago
    but they wont get back to me.

ShareASale:

LinkConnector:

Pepperjam:

Bridaluxe:

Betty Mills (Join): I signed up here and saved it, but the "Join" link wont go away.

What do you mean (should have been signed up to the individual merchants in the networks.)

joining a network is the first step. but you have to join individual merchants in the network, also, in order for the links to work.

Lightbulb
    Yes, I signed up to all the Networks except Google.

Commission Junction:

LinkShare:

Google Affiliate Network (Join): Signed up days ago
    but they wont get back to me.

ShareASale:

LinkConnector:

Pepperjam:

Bridaluxe:

Betty Mills (Join): I signed up here and saved it, but the "Join" link wont go away.

What do you mean (should have been signed up to the individual merchants in the networks.)
    you really haven't joined a merchant's program until you have an email from them or some other form of acceptance, like seeing them as joined in the network's interface.

for instance: Betty Mills. have you gone to their site and logged in?

OMG I had no idea you had to join all the merchants to. Thats a heck of a lot of joining
    Yes I have logged into Betty Mills

Question
    I think what is happening is, you've applied via the PopShops interface. You should familiarize yourself with the actual networks sites because that is where you'll find out what activity you've had with their merchants.

PopShops is only a tool for building pages -- you'll eventually have to look in the network sites.

Have you had an acceptance email from Shareasale and have you logged in there yet?

Talking
    OMG I had no idea you had to join all the merchants to. Thats a heck of a lot of joining
    Yes I have logged into Betty Mills
    take your time joining. pick the ones that fit your site's theme first.

Yes, I have been accepted by all except Google. Google wont get back to me for some reson. Yes, I have logged into all of them to make sure i had the right ID number.

Lightbulb
    now maybe you should check out the merchants' data in shareasale, for instance. for the merchants you have joined in there you can also find banner and text ads to add to your pages where you have popshops. also you can find relatively how those merchants are doing (epc) and sometimes find when they have gone inactive.

Herb has given you some excellent advice virtualwhispers Joining the network gets you the account number, but until you are approved for each merchant you will not receive a commission for any sales. PopShops is a tool to help you work with the merchants you have signed up with in each network, but until you are approved by each merchant there will be no commissions.

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    And to make matters more confusing, some networks (like CJ) will allow you to see product landing pages of merchants with whom you're not affiliated (which has lead some people to think that that were).

Other networks (like Google) give you an error page if you click on a landing page link of a merchant for whom you're not yet approved. While it's never fun to see error pages, at least you know where you stand.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

virtualwhispers: I suggest that you re-consider your "join everything" strategy, and instead examine the merchants you are promoting.

Some merchants have dreadful web sites that can't sell very well. Others may have some sales channels that don't track commissions (phone orders, for example, but some merchants also fail to properly implement tracking for PayPal, Google Checkout, and Amazon Payments). Some may have very low commission rates (well under 10%). Some merchants have high prices. Some merchants conceal the fact that they are located in Asia and delivery might take weeks, and may create "customs hassles." Some merchants have a high complaint/return rate; some merchants reverse a high percentage of affiliate transactions. Some merchants have datafeeds that are outdated, inaccurate, or deliberately misleading (for example, promoting a low price but requiring a minimum purchase of 10 units, which might be fine for paper towels but probably not for DVD players or laser printers). Some merchants have "leaks" (so that they earn money from your traffic by showing AdSense ads and affiliate links to other merchants -- and they don't share that revenue with their own affiliates).

If you create a site that sends traffic to hundreds of different merchants' sites which you've never evaluated, you'll probably have a very low conversion rate.

There are thousands of merchants participating in the major networks, but the majority of these merchants are not worth promoting.

We have a "How to start with affiliate marketing" page that walks you through this a bit.
    Jessie Jones
    Create your custom affiliate store with PopShops.
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

Think of it as joining a college.... you register with a college, BUT THEN you have to register with all the classes that you want to take too.... if you just show up without registering for the class first, you might do a lot of work, but you'll get no credit for it....

Same thing applies here... let's say that you want to promote t-shirts from CafePress.... CafePress runs their affiliate program with Commission Junction..... you may be a member of Commission Junction, but you have to actually go to the Commission Junction site and sign up for the CafePress program in order to receive commssions from CafePress....

some companies will automatically approve you and some will review your site before/if they let you in..... if you're not approved for their program, you will get no commission if you send them a sale....

Thank you guys so much for your help, I guess you can tell Im a newbie lol
    Well sure looks like I have a lot of work and research to do.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread