Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Just came back home from the summit and ad:tech, going through mail and postings first and then will post about the past three days events.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Welcome back, sent you a couple of PM, would maybe make it so you need to type in your password to get into chat. PM will explain why.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

ABW Ambassador
    There's an old saying about tattlers but I forgot it.

------------------------------
    "Beware the man who preaches respect for you but does not demonstrate it. Ask him to show his face before you bare your back to his blade." ~ George Hayduke

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Haiko,

Enjoy your peanuts....

and don't forget to fill both tubes, one liquid, one with a good puro!!

AndyRodriguez.com
    Affiliate Program Management
    and Consulting Services
    P: (305) 412-3512
    C: (305) 785-4524
    E: doc@andyrodriguez.com
    W: www.andyrodriguez.com
    AIM: AffiliateDoctor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy Rodriguez:

and don't forget to fill both tubes, one liquid, one with a good puro!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummmm... would I be better off NOT knowing more about this?

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

Sorry, I fell asleep yesterday but I'm raring to go today

Sunday Nov 2 - The Dinner
    =========================
    I hosted a private Dinner at Morton's Steakhouse with Andy, Todd, ScottJ, BLFH, Gordon, Cazzie, Connie, Adam Ward, Evan @ Dental Plans, Marifer, Carolyn @ Collectibles, Jim @ BigDaddySmokes, Tricia @ IAN, and their guests. It went fantastic, after five hours of good food and conversations they had to finally kick us out

Monday Nov 3 - The Summit
    =========================
    First I'd like to say that Shawn, Mis and Ryan did a fantastic job and that I'm not going to critique the summit itself only what happened during it.

Keynote Speaker - Declan Dunn - One word - Amazing! While I've heard of his great knowledge and seen his book here and there and know of adnet and what they've done, I was really taken aback by the content of his speech and method of delivery of the message - definitely the best part of the summit!

Speed Networking - a good idea but haphazardly effective.

Lunch - while I was still recovering from the networking and trying to make real contacts I finally got a chance to get a bite to eat.

The Adware Panel - as brought up by Pet Dealer in another thread, I think many were flustered at this portion of the summit, besides me The panel consisted of Bob Regular (Cydoor), Chris Park (Blair.com), Jeff Molander (Afftrack), Will Braunstein (ShopathomeSelect) and Pat Toland (TopMoxie). While Ryan was asking the panel many good questions, Jeff acted more of the moderator and posed more questions to the panel than answers. His questions were specifically geared to the PR of adware. Bob while being a smug and arrogant @ss successfully convoluted the definitions of adware, spyware and parasiteware and tried to make it like his adware was ok because he's not a spy (as in spyware), it was actually very sad. Chris basically said that he uses some and nothing more really. Will said that compliance and enforcement are the keys and that ABW and our parasiteware board are very effective and successfully in policing since the networks don't really and that the industry needs more enforcement protocols and action. Patrick Toland basically came out swinging and passing the buck. I think everyone in the audience was really taken aback at his demeanor and the content of his remarks. First, of course, he discredited ABW, it's members and all the videos and then the ^%$^#^%#$ had the nerve to say I've just come back from ad:tech and spoke to a spyware guy who said he's gonna do this and that with the personal information acquired via their app and proceeded to emphatically express to the attendees that they are the ones we all should be worried about and not him. He continued to say that although he does have access to all the user's information (like a spyware product) he wouldn't use it because he is self policing himself and that he didn't want to go to jail for such malarkey. Suffice it to say I was on the edge of my chair responding aloud to his horsehockey so those around me could hear the truth ... many thought I was going to rush the stage! All in all, this segment was the topic all wanted to talk about and ask questions but were not allowed to and the panelists did a good job passing the onus of responsibility. ABW and my name was mentioned so many times that many attendees asked why I wasn't on the panel ... hmmm! The topic was ended and a break was taken ... I stayed seated because I knew that I'd get into a very heated discussion with Patrick or Bob and possibly make a scene.

Email Workshop - While still calming down from the adware crapola I sat through this workshop. Informative but not my cup of tea, as it were. One specific point I do remember was someone asking "Ok so if email marketing is so effective, why should I waste my money on hiring an affiliate manager and recruiting affiliates?" Jody Resnick (Hickory Farms) and I turned to each other and started laughing and making jokes at the sheer stupidity of this, afterward Jody tried to see the name tag of the person but we were convinced that the person specifically flipped it around

Afternoon keynote - I missed it after laughing so hard I had to go out and smoke. While outside met other smokes who all agreed that the adware panel was a joke and were basically flabbergasted at the horsehockey Patrick Toland spew.

Round Table - I was allowed to co-chair the parasiteware round table with Shawn Schwegman. After finding Shawn (he was all the way in the back corner ) and hearing that our roundtable wasn't announced, which I very Quickly and quite Loudly rectified we had our first of three groups. I started out explaining the difference between adware, spyware and parasiteware as the panel specifically attempted to convolute the definitions thereof. Shawn gave a brief synopsis of the history of parasiteware and we both expressed the absolute need for merchant education. Shawn presented the merchant and economic negative aspects and I the affiliate side along with the PR and placement side all in triplicate. The main point we left the attendees with was that after you drop the parasites your sales will drop drastically but the next month they all come back and get credited to the proper affiliate. Shawn also said that after dropping out of the BHOs his sales have month over month experienced 25-32% increase in sales for the channel. We both fielded some fantastic questions from our three different groups and feel very good about the results of the round tables and quite frankly was proud of Shawn.

=== End of Summit ===

Kowabunga Sponsored drinks at the high bar at the Gramercy Park Hotel - Couldn't pass this puppy up After the summit we all headed over to the bar and congratulated Shawn, Mis and Ryan for the great job and continued networking and commenting on the Patrick Toland malarkey.

Later that night there was a party held by synergy6, didn't attend - I went back to my hotel and had dinner with Michelle and Baseball and fell out.

Tuesday Nov 4 - ad:tech
    Didn't set my alarm clock so I could sleep and intended on attending after lunch. Around 11:30 we get stuck in the elevator on the way to check out. Being claustrophobic didn't help matters here we weren't stuck between floors, only on the 28th. We were staying on the 35th and saw the maintenance man with a walkie talkie when the door opened and he said naw go ahead and after the doors closed they stayed closed till I opened them ... pushing buttons galore and yelling to the maintenance guy (who never answered me but was on the walkie talkie). After we got out I did nothing but curse the living $^#$%$# out of him allowing people to go in an elevator that he knew had problems and then got on another elevator on the other side and proceeded to check out and ^$#%^$#% the front desk clerk when they asked how my stay was ... poor guy. Then I kinda slipped outside and strained a muscle in my back.

Finally got to ad:tech after lunch and walked around got some goodies and made some new acquaintances and then came home because my back was killing me.

Later that evening there was the adBumb party that I unfortunately missed

All in all a fantastic three days, meeting people I've known for the longest and making new friends ... I'm going next year and would love to have an ABW get together also.

</font></p>

Haiko,

Thanks for the meeting recap. Good information.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Haiko wrote: ABW and my name was mentioned so many times that many attendees asked why I wasn't on the panel ... hmmm! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Why indeed. It's obvious the software apps are on the defensive - a logical move that usually happens when one gets cornered.

We're on to them, and they know it. The best is yet to come...

Andy

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Good to finally meet you Haiko.

I also thought the summit was great. I was dissapointed at a few things though.

1. I understand now that many ABW people were there and no one stopped over to say hello to me. Would have been nice to meet some of you in person.

2. I accidentally left my bag of conference goodies behind the door by the elevator in the high bar KB afterparty.

That's it. Great event. Great learning. Let's do it again and again.

http://www.kowabunga.net
    http://www.myap.com
    http://www.myaffstats.com
    http://www.affiliateclicks.com
    http://www.affiliatecash.com
    http://www.optinpro.com

[This message was edited by AffiliateMakeover.com on November 06, 2003 at 11:17 AM.]

[This message was edited by AffiliateMakeover.com on November 06, 2003 at 11:18 AM.]

I had a great time. It was good to meet the people I did have a chance to meet. I didn't get to meet as many ABWers as I would have liked. But I did meet alot of people whose names I had seen many times.

Missy, Ryan, and Shawn did a great job organizing the event. Thanks, guys!!

If I could have changed only one thing? It's simple. And this doesn't mean that there weren't lots of other important issues that can be raised about the event, because there are...it's just that this one thing really had my attention for most of the morning into the afternoon.

WATER. For the love of pete (where are you these days, anyways, Pete?) when we start at 9:30 and go till 12:15 for lunch, you gotta have some water.

Other than that, I had a great time! I especially liked meeting Rick, Akiva, and BLFH in person. I would have liked to have had more "face-time" with Haiko, but he was a very popular man!

Next time, I have to go to the ABW dinner. For sure. I am so sorry I missed it.

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    aim: patricemilligan
    ::visit.our.private.forum.at.abw::

The more I hear about this event, the more I regret not making an effort to attend.

Haiko: Thanks for the in-depth report. Good to have a sense of what happened.

What's the next affiliate-type event? I should mark my calendar now!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AffiliateMakeover.com:
    3. The people who attended our (KowaBunga!) afterparty effectively drank up my xmas bonus I think.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Just be thankful I wasn't there....

I got my parasiteware sweatshirt!!!
    (Gordon, eat your heart out :-) )

First off I would like to say a big thank you to Haiko for the invite to Morton's Steakhouse. It was a fantastic evening with fantastic people and fantastic food. What more can I say? oh the Bacardi and coke was fantastic too

I was sat up at the top with cazzie and BLFH, two very nice ladies I might add.

I also realised that Todd is not half as bad as he comes across on these boards, remember I told you nothing was personal Todd

All in all a great time was had by me

[edited to add] @ Radegast
    Yes but I was at the party and I had quite a few free drinks, thanks you AffiliateMakeover & kowabunga

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    One other point that Patrick made FROM PATRICK WORLD :

Its not him or his software it’s the people that make the anti parasite removing software.

The developers of that software are exaggerating the issues to sell their software and get rich!

Patrick HELLOOO its YOU not them.

-----------

Patrick and Bobs holier than though attitudes made me sick.

Henry
    Affiliate Manager
    <font face=verdana size=1 >Migizzi Inc d/b/a</font> Pets-Warehouse.com

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>10%/90 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    </font>
    Henry@Pets-Warehouse.com<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>
    >< )))º> 631.789.5400 / Pets-Warehouse.com
    </font>

[This message was edited by Pet Dealer on November 05, 2003 at 02:37 PM.]

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Thanks Haiko and Henry for providing some specific information about the content of the Summit. Also to Haiko and Kowabunga for providing an opportunity for a chance to meet with many folks and have a good time.

From Haiko's and Henry's comments, I can't say that I'm very surprised regarding some of the presentations. I'll add that some of the feedback I heard at the Kowabunga party from those who attended was they had the impression that many in the audience were buying the line being presented to them during the Adware panel. And that some seemed quite surprised (as in it was the first time they were hearing such things) later when they heard what Shawn and Haiko were saying during the round table discussions. At least folks were allowed to ask questions during the round table.

@Patrice...wish you could have stayed longer.

@Gordon: What do you mean you had quite a few free drinks??? You held out on me after I made sure you didn't get lost in the subway? I was paying $8 a beer......

@Andy R. You still owe me a drink.

@Akiva (in case he strolls by this thread): You're forgiven it took you 20 minutes to realize who I was. I really thought you'd pick up on the accent.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Affiliate Manager
    Haiko, thank you for co-chair'ing the roundtable with me. I believe it was extremely productive, and I appreciate the opportunity to have worked with you on it.

Also, just a reminder for you... We talked about ABW possibly acting as a ParasiteWare Alert mechanism for merchants. I believe ABW could add a ton of value by sending out weekly, monthly, or per alert email notifications to the merchants letting us know when a potential ParasiteWare player appears.

It is often difficult for merchants to stay on top of this issue. We could really use your help by sending us alert emails that notify us of new Parasitic affiliates that come about. Once we receive the alert, we could instantly investigate the potential Parasite and take appropriate actions.

I think this type of system would speed merchant resolutions...

Anyway, just food for thought.

Thanks again,

Shawn Schwegman
    CTO, VP Sales & Marketing
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

Working on it now Shawn.

Once again, great work, I'm really proud of you!

</font></p>

Shawn its great to see you posting again, don't be a stranger

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Shawn wrote: Also, just a reminder for you... We talked about ABW possibly acting as a ParasiteWare Alert mechanism for merchants. I believe ABW could add a ton of value by sending out weekly, monthly, or per alert email notifications to the merchants letting us know when a potential ParasiteWare player appears.

It is often difficult for merchants to stay on top of this issue. We could really use your help by sending us alert emails that notify us of new Parasitic affiliates that come about. Once we receive the alert, we could instantly investigate the potential Parasite and take appropriate actions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Shawn,

You and I have been on opposite sides of the fence from time to time in the past, but I just wanted to say that I agree completely with your statement, and I'm glad to see you back at ABW. I hope you won't be such a stranger in the future.

Andy

I'm not knocking you Shawn if Haiko says he is proud of you then you at least have gone up a little in my estimation, I just wish me and BLFH had been able to get in the summit.

To be quite honest, In the past you tied for the privilege of the bottom spot of my "total assoles pile" with a few other pro parasite guys who pretended to be otherwise. I'm glad to see you are now at least rising above them.

The point of this post is to say I would have thought the whole matter of alerting the merchants to parasitic affiliates and their ilk should be at the hands of the networks?

How say you Todd?

<font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLFH (Ms. B):
    @Akiva (in case he strolls by this thread): You're forgiven it took you 20 minutes to realize who I was. I really thought you'd pick up on the accent.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BLFH I am so sorry I didn't recognize you and just kept on chatting with Brian Littleton (SAS)... I was up half the night thinking to myself why I didn't pick up the accent and came to the conclusion that it was the music and the beer. Otherwise it was totally a pleasure finally meeting you!!(BTW I just strolled back in from a search engine conference where I actually met the Google folks and a bunch of other key search engine people...)

Folks, we need an <FONT SIZE=5> ABW MEETING !!</FONT>

Oh btw Gordon's tie ruled!

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager

<TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=600><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: affiliates@funtocollect.com
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

Glad you liked it Akiva....a friend of mine in Germany bought it for me.

Take care
    YouTrek.com

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Click here for some pictures from Affiliate Summit 2003.

Many of "speed networking" with some adware panel, e-mail workshop, and others mixed in.

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom, Inc.

http://www.affiliatemanager.net - tools and resources for affiliate managers

ABW Ambassador
    Nice pics, can only place names to a few people, Haiko, Andy, Todd and Shawn, have no clue who everybody else is.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on November 06, 2003 at 12:13 AM.]

Great pics, shame it would take to long to place names and whats happening to the images!

I only want to see BHLF's pic. Where is it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast