GoldenCAN Issues
    Hi,

I love the concept of GoldenCAN, and the company seems very reputable. I want to use GoldenCAN, but there are several things that are still keeping me from doing so:

First, the layouts are simply unattractive in my opinion. Since presentation is probably the most important factor for an online shopping site, I am surprised that there aren't more options for arranging content and presenting it attractively. I don't think CSS alone is enough to change this issue.

Second, there still isn't a price comparison engine (unless I'm still missing something). I've done focus groups for my shopping site, and most users say that is the most important thing for them. Yet GoldenCAN still doesn't have it.

Third, many of the data feeds are very unprofessional. For example, Wal-Mart's feed has typos and ambiguous category names...for example, categories include "Miscelleneous" (sp.) and "Unnav". What is "Unnav"? Tires, of course. How are people supposed to shop through categories like these? Another example: Radio Shack, whose categories include things like "Other Incomes". What kind of name is that for a category?

I e-mailed GoldenCAN about these kinds of things almost a year ago, and I was told that features would be continuously improved. Yet, today, I see virtually the same service I saw a year ago...a service with a great concept, but simply not professional enough for me to use on a serious shopping site.

Just my .02. I'd love to use GC, I just can't until issues like this are taken care of.

BTW, of course I know that the datafeed category names come from the merchants themselves. But GoldenCAN provides an aggregation service, and I would expect that service to include working with merchants to eliminate typographical errors and ambiguous category names to present the most professional shopping experience possible.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Closest way to show comparision pricing is to build a "keyword" goldencan store with hand picked merchants
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Good idea, however that would be a pale imitation of a true price search engine. It's a shame, the Shopping.com API has these kinds of features and they are very easy to implement. But then you're locked into their revenue-sharing model. The same kind of API from GoldenCAN would be great because it would still allow us to reap the benefits of higher commissions from the affiliate programs we're in. GoldenCAN, if you could offer the same kind of API as Shopping.com, you'd have a winner of a service. Their data can easily be sliced and diced and presented in tons of different ways.

Even if you can't offer this kind of API, please give us a true price search engine and full control over layout and arrangement. At least please match the feature set of that "other" data feed service. I'd rather deal with you because of your integrity, but the features I've mentioned are essential IMHO.

Asif,

Can you let me know if any of these features are coming in the near future (price search engine, attractive layouts, elimination of unprofessional "rough edges" in datafeeds, etc.)?

Thanks,

Mark

No reply? These are valid concerns, IMHO. How about a response?

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread